www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old October 31st, 2019, 20:35   #46
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

900 lbs in tools?

What are you moving, an entire machine shop?
The guys at IDparts have seen what I travel with, and that's a healthy collection of tools to work on the CRDs... And that is only about 150-200 lbs of gear. You sure about that number?
Old November 1st, 2019, 03:44   #47
vwexpress

Well, I'm a plumber. I've got way more then 900lbs of tools in the truck, obviously, I can't put that much into the back of this Sportwagen. I re- read the manual last night, I have no idea where I saw that number, probably didn't.I've got about half of what I want in there right now, sags a little, maybe 300 lbs of tools now.....
Truly, thanks for the replys, I need all the help I can get.
vwexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 15:10   #48
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Ah, I was thinking blacksmith. Gotta have the good anvil and the backup anvil just in case.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 20:03   #49
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

I must not know much about what a plumber does... I can't fathom more than a few hundred pounds of gear for all the plumbing work I have ever done on my own. I'm impressed that the work you do needs that kind of support, that's amazing.
Old November 1st, 2019, 23:33   #50
vwexpress

Been doing the plumbing thing for like 23 years, so I have gathered quite the amount of tools. But, it's tools that make my job easier, sooo.... From cast iron to cooper, cpvc to pvc, have to do it all. From underground to top out, lots of stuff to do.

But, lets talk weight, the cars ability to carry weight. There are 4 seats, VW themselves say 168 lbs per person, so right there is almost 680 lbs, in people alone in the given seats. We know the Germans won't have people and no luggage, there has to be more payload then just people hauling. Regardless, the new springs go in tomorrow, I'll be looking at brakes, pads and rotors, next. Window tint is done, drained a little oil out to make the oil level light go off, love the info in here, thanks one and all, thank you.

Last edited by vwexpress; November 1st, 2019 at 23:37.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 10:48   #51
Geordi
Veteran Member

I've always heard it as the calculation is 200 lbs times the number of seats and an additional 200 for the cargo those people would carry. So that would be a total of 1200 lbs interior...

BUT all you really need is the curb weight of the vehicle and the GVWR. The GAWR for the rear says how much the back should be carrying since you won't be able to evenly spread the load around the interior. On a recent trip I ran across scales just for fun (the scales were on but the checkpoint was closed) and the JSW scaled right at 4000 lbs.

Now I had about 275 lbs outside on a tray - that itself weighs about 80 lbs - so call that 360 lbs. Plus my fat arse at 200, so there's 560 lbs in the car right away. The rest of the interior had some tools and other detritus for probably another 150 lbs, so close to 700 lbs of not-car being carried. I don't know the curb weight on the 2014 JSW, but that can be looked up, but I'm thinking it is somewhere around 3300 which would work with the math. Now just look at the sticker on the door pillar, what's the GVWR? (I'll go look at mine later after I'm done eating)
Old November 2nd, 2019, 16:31   #52
vwexpress

Success, taller springs in, more tools added, my guess is about 700 lbs of tools in the vehicle. It sits just a touch higher in the rear, which looks perfect, the weight definitely has an effect on acceleration, braking, and handling. Will be looking into better braking and shocks now.
Wish I could post pics, have the windows tinted, new ties, looks great.

Thank you @Geordi for your reply, that's exactly what I was thinking for the payload, just need to weigh it, look up curb weight, see how far over I am.....
Old November 4th, 2019, 05:17   #53
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

My brother is a plumber, and his company reluctantly decided to replace most of their E250 Ford vans a few years ago to save on fuel costs. They switched to Transit Connects, and they work out fine for the most part. The only time they may need something bigger (and they do still have an E van in the fleet) is to move a large component like a bigger water heater or some monster cast iron bath tub, since the little vans are generally full of tools and supplies.

And they are pretty full. It is not so much the tools (although there is plenty of that) as it is all the various fittings and such they require be on hand. Much of it is metal. They do a lot of rehab work in older houses, too, so they are constantly moving a lot of heavy things back to the recycler... cast iron main stacks for example (some of these can weigh several hundred pounds, they get cut up into manageable pieces, but their net weight is still the same), lots of toilets and old bath tubs and one-piece sinks... the one sink he had was easily 500 pounds by itself. A porcelain coated cast iron affair from the '40s... it has already outlasted anything you could buy today, and will probably still outlast it... 100 years from now it'll still be able to do its job, LOL.

So yeah, plumbers move some heavy stuff. Sucks we cannot get the diesel version of these little vans, because the leftover gasser Focus engines and slushboxes they use are pretty hard hit with all the weight, despite the fact that the van itself doesn't seem to mind.
Old November 8th, 2019, 18:55   #54
Geordi
Veteran Member

The Transit Connect is available with a diesel and a 9-speed (DSG I think) transmission starting with the 2019 model year, so they have been available for about a year now. Your brother's company likely will not want to switch until their current fleet is closer to the end of life... But the diesel TC is a capable little truck with over 2000 lbs carrying capacity and another 2k towing.

I was thinking about that if I needed anything a little bigger than the JSW, but there's no way I'd be able to get it for the price I got the JSW at. Maybe in another few years, I'll pick one up on the used market.
Old November 9th, 2019, 09:20   #55
oilhammer

Show me one.
Old November 9th, 2019, 09:40   #56
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm seeing a 1.5L diesel listed as an option, but it must be a typo. 160 hp from a 1.5L diesel at 6200 rpm, and less torque than hp.... gotta be a gasser.

Edit- looks like Ford scrapped the 1.5L diesel option:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...t-diesel-dead/

Last edited by turbobrick240; November 9th, 2019 at 10:22.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 12:59   #57
oilhammer

Exactly. We never got them. We only got the non turbo gas engine and the Ecoboost. Although the previous generation to which I was talking about earlier was just one engine the 2.0L non turbo gas engine bolted to a 4sp slushbox. The leftover Focus powertrain.
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:07   #58
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Come on guys stop teasing with another 'this vehicle is available with a diesel engine'!

Another disappointment with Ford pulling out the Transit Connect diesel

I wonder if in a few years one will be able to transplant the actual Ford diesel 1.5L in a gasser one.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 23:15   #59
JesseTDI

The full size Transit is available with a diesel and they are being made (I would know because I build them) even a 1 ton transit gets better gas mileage than a E series van did.
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:17   #60
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseTDI View Post
The full size Transit is available with a diesel and they are being made (I would know because I build them) even a 1 ton transit gets better gas mileage than a E series van did.

Yeah, and if you guys could put a dab of anti-seize instead of thread locker on all the bolts that hold that subframe/control arms and crossbrace in we wouldn't have to torch and cut holes in the unibody and saw the control arms to pieces to get them apart, since you have to take all that stuff apart to do just about ANYTHING to them (transmission replacement, transmission SERVICE... yes, you cannot even remove the pan without removing that stupid subframe... catalysts, DPFs, etc.). We had to install a new rack in the shop JUST because we ALWAYS have one of these stupid things in pieces. The Transits are time sponges but the fleets realize this now and they make us a TON of money.

They EAT rear brakes, too, like a fat guy through donuts, and that stupid drive shaft coupler comes apart more often than an air filter needs to be replaced, LOL.

But the main thing is those stupid bolts. And it isn't like ANY of these are very old. Several of our fleets (who have had E-vans for literally decades) are now switching to Chevrolet vans, because the Transits have proven to be just too darn fragile and too labor intensive to keep on the road long term. Sad, because they sure drive much better than those ancient full frame dinosaurs, and boy I never thought I'd say this but the E-vans are actually easier to work on. You can have the 4R70 transmission replaced in a couple hours. The Transit's transmission can take several days.