www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 20th, 2019, 06:36   #1
PeterC
Default To buy or not to buy?

We are the proud owners of a 2013 Passat TDI SEL.
We like it so much that we decided to get another one because we do lots of driving and the one we have is awesome.
But we wanted a 2015 with low miles.
Found one at a large used car dealer with less than 2300 miles.
Agreed to pay $18,700.
We plan on picking it up and driving it home to another state.
I set up a satellite account for the radio and asked the salesman to verify that it was active and it wasn’t.
I called Sirius and they resent the signal but it didn’t work. They had activated using the vin.
The salesman had sent me a picture of the radio display along with the satellite ID#.
I gave that to the Sirius rep and they came back with “that radio doesn’t match that car, it is from a 2012 Passat” He was able to give me the vin from that car and I looked it up. Sure enough the dealer car appeared to be at the same dealer or had been.
I called them and said ***?
Why would you pull a radio from a nearly new (in miles) car and replace with parts from a car that is three years older?
The salesman was definitely unaware that this had transpired.
He told me that the radio that was in the car wasn’t working and their service department had some that were so they swapped it out.
They have already activated the radio but it says it is from a 2012 Passat.
I ran my own CARFAx which matched the one the dealer had given me.
The car was originally leased in California in July of 2015 and was then shipped to Michigan and owned by the manufacturer so I can only guess that the original lessee (a Californian) got wind of diesel gate and marched back to the dealer for a refund and here we are.
The dealer says that they are going to replace the radio with a “2015” radio to make this right but I’m still nervous.
We do really want another Passat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

P
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote