2015 Q5 TDI Transfer Case and Differentials Fluid Change

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
Does anyone know if a transfer case and differential fluid change is needed at about 62,000 miles (100,000 km) ?
I am getting my transmission fluid changed in the 8 speed ZF and my Indy suggested changing fluids in the differentials and transfer case at the same time.
The transfer case fluid is expensive compared to the differential oil.

Any comments yes or no appreciated, thanks.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Funny you should post this. We just had our 15 Q5 with 59k miles get the transmission and AWD differential fluids/filters changed.

I figured after 4 years, should be changed out. With an oil change along with some fuel system cleaners, it was around $1,000 all-in but won’t have to be done for years now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I doubt it is absolutely needed, however it is not a big deal to drain/fill and it does not even hold a liter of fluid (the center diff). I think maybe 850 mL.

The Q5 does not have a "transfer case" in the sense that the T'reg/Q7/Cayenne (and many other vehicles like 4WD pickups and vans) do. It is based on the Audi A4 car, so it is just a little tiny box sticking off the tail end of the big ZF transmission.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
I doubt it is absolutely needed, however it is not a big deal to drain/fill and it does not even hold a liter of fluid (the center diff). I think maybe 850 mL.

The Q5 does not have a "transfer case" in the sense that the T'reg/Q7/Cayenne (and many other vehicles like 4WD pickups and vans) do. It is based on the Audi A4 car, so it is just a little tiny box sticking off the tail end of the big ZF transmission.
Oilhammer, re the transfer case on Q5, do you mean the tiny box at back of ZF does not have a fluid of it's own ?
Thanks for your input.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, it does, it just doesn't have much. You were commenting on how much it costs, but since it holds so little, it shouldn't crimp your wallet too terribly bad. ;)

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
Does anyone know if the drain plug on the transmission pan needs to be replaced when a fluid change is done?
Is the drain plug re usable?

AJM

TDI
A6
You could reuse the plug but I would replace it to avoid any leaks. Most kits include it.

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
Does anyone know if the drain plug on the transmission pan needs to be replaced when a fluid change is done?
Is the drain plug re usable?
You should use a new one.

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
No, it does, it just doesn't have much. You were commenting on how much it costs, but since it holds so little, it shouldn't crimp your wallet too terribly bad. ;)
The transfer case holds like 1L of fluid IIRC, this secret fluid is like 40 bux a liter or something like that. No one knows if it is necessary as it contains some bizarre friction modifier that seems to me after some research, is only put in there for breakin. When i replaced the "transfer case" fluid I used Redline 75w90.

when you do the ZF ATF fluid and filter service, you can easily access the drain plug for the transfer case on the zf8, but if youre doing it seperately from the ATF service, its kind of a PITA to do that much work cause you have to drop the transmission holder thingy and support the transmission while u do it. If doing it seperately, you can get like 80%+ percent of the old fluid out with a $10 dollar pump a few bucks of skinny pvc pipe, which is what I did.

eyyopomps

TDI
2014 Audi Q5, 1998 MK3 Jetta, 2010 MK6 Golf, 2000 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know the capacities of the transfer and diff? looks like theres a front and rear one that can be drained and filled..

commedeschatons

TDI
Does anyone know the capacities of the transfer and diff? looks like theres a front and rear one that can be drained and filled..

Are u talking about the center diff (q5)?
Center diff takes <1L
Front diff takes ~1L
Rear diff takes 2L

Q7 has transfer case, the fluid isn't same

eyyopomps

TDI
Are u talking about the center diff (q5)?
Center diff takes <1L
Front diff takes ~1L
Rear diff takes 2L

Q7 has transfer case, the fluid isn't same
Thats what I was looking for! doing the trans fluid tomorrow and was struggling to figure out what I needed. People recommend just getting a good 75w-90?

commedeschatons

TDI
Thats what I was looking for! doing the trans fluid tomorrow and was struggling to figure out what I needed. People recommend just getting a good 75w-90?
The center diff supposedly needs a super expensive $100/liter vag fluid with "4% friction modifier". Ravenol is the only company making a VW-spec fluid for center diff thats not 3 digits price. Its called Ravenol AWD-TOR, and its about $60/L iirc.

I've run both normal GL-5 and VW spec **** in the center diff and it has made absolutely no difference. I dont think it possibly can. If i may offer my opinion, dont spend the extortion price for VW spec oil and just use a solid 75w90 gear oil from Motul, Redline, Ravenol, Liquimoly, etc

From my own usage, any GL-5 75w-90 is suitable for ALL center, front and rear diffs. The one i used is Redline 75w90 but you can basically use whatever you want. Right now i have Ravenol AWDTOR in the center diff cause i bought it to try just for the hell of it.

If you need more info on fluids & hardware please see my writeup here https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...Center-Rear-Differential-Drain-amp-Fill-plugs

eyyopomps

TDI
The center diff supposedly needs a super expensive $100/liter vag fluid with "4% friction modifier". Ravenol is the only company making a VW-spec fluid for center diff thats not 3 digits price. Its called Ravenol AWD-TOR, and its about $60/L iirc.

I've run both normal GL-5 and VW spec **** in the center diff and it has made absolutely no difference. I dont think it possibly can. If i may offer my opinion, dont spend the extortion price for VW spec oil and just use a solid 75w90 gear oil from Motul, Redline, Ravenol, Liquimoly, etc

From my own usage, any GL-5 75w-90 is suitable for ALL center, front and rear diffs. The one i used is Redline 75w90 but you can basically use whatever you want. Right now i have Ravenol AWDTOR in the center diff cause i bought it to try just for the hell of it.

If you need more info on fluids & hardware please see my writeup here https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...Center-Rear-Differential-Drain-amp-Fill-plugs
Thanks,

I bit the bullet and got the magic juice from Audi. (My local VW dealer was being an ass about it) then I used Liquid Moly that cross referenced with the OEM number for front and rear. Between the cases and the trans it was a lot for maintenance I did myself lol

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
Do you mind sharing that OEM number?

Trans Fluid
VW# G060162A2
ZF lifeguard 8 fluid is much cheaper ZF# ZFS-S671090312
Here is a link to the entire change kit https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-automatic-transmission-service-kit-zf-0bk398009

Transfer Box Fluid
VW# G055145A2
takes 1 ltr

Front Diff Fluid
VW# G052145S2
takes 1ltr

Rear Diff Fluid
VW# G052145S2
takes 0.9 ltr

When changing trans filter there is an X-brace that has to be removed. With that brace removed the repair manual says do Not rest vehicle on tires or suspension because it will cause damage. Also the bolts for the X-brace are TTY.

I hope this info helps.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
No problem.
I wasn't too crazy about the price of the vw fluids however seeing it only takes at most 1 bottle of each I didn't mind paying the higher price to make sure that I had the right stuff.
With the trans fluid I used the zf lifeguard 8 seeing that zf is the manufacturer of the transmission.
The way I look at it is I didn't get a Q5 with the idea that it was going to have a super low cost of maintenance. That doesn't mean that I don't shop around to find the lowest price.

commedeschatons

TDI
No problem.
I wasn't too crazy about the price of the vw fluids however seeing it only takes at most 1 bottle of each I didn't mind paying the higher price to make sure that I had the right stuff.
With the trans fluid I used the zf lifeguard 8 seeing that zf is the manufacturer of the transmission.
The way I look at it is I didn't get a Q5 with the idea that it was going to have a super low cost of maintenance. That doesn't mean that I don't shop around to find the lowest price.

Ravenol 8HP is really good and zf approved I have used that before. I think it's a step up from the zf official fluid but it don't matter much

Redline D6 atf is also fantastic and a little cheaper ! Running that now

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
For my 2015 Q5 TDI transfer case I used the Ravenol Gear Oil SLS 75-140 GL-5, 1 litre, from Blauparts.
SAE 75W-140 LS API GL-5 gear oil spec. Used in limited slip differentials, hypoid, and bevel gear differentials and transmissions requiring 75W-140 LS gear oil. Compatible with Audi VW G055145A2
Edit

commedeschatons

TDI
For my 2015 Q5 TDI transfer case I used the Ravenol Gear Oil SLS 75-140 GL-5, 1 litre, from Blauparts.
SAE 75W-140 LS API GL-5 gear oil spec. Used in limited slip differentials, hypoid, and bevel gear differentials and transmissions requiring 75W-140 LS gear oil. Compatible with Audi VW G055145A2
Edit

This oil is too heavy and was mis-specced by ravenol in their system. Use any 75w90 GL-5 gear oil or Ravenol AWD-TOR