Oil Analysis: 2003 Beetle TDI, 12900 miles on oil

segfault

113,000 miles on car. This is from my dad's Beetle which sees almost exclusively highway trips.

DrewD

Veteran Member
Very impressive! Unfortunately, my PD does a great job shearing oil to a 30wt and will never even see another 10k Oil change interval.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
segfault - wear rates are great, as you would expect from a TDI with over 100k driving nearly all highway miles. the oil has thickened beyond the 40 weight range, and the TBN has dropped to below 1/2 of the VOA value - so I would personally limit the OCI to 12.5k.

once US fuel becomes ULSD (next year) your dad could probably go 15k+ with no TBN or viscosity concerns. cleaner fuel is easier on motor oil.

however, if your dad would like to increase his OCI beyond 12.5k <u>right now</u> i'd recommend installing an Amsoil bypass filter. it increases the sump capacity by 20+%, keeps the oil very clean and all-around makes life easier on the oil. with the Amsoil bypass he could easily go 20k and maybe 25k+.

drewd - the last UOA of yours i saw returned a 68.2 which is in the 40 weight viscosity range, have you had another sample analyzed since then?

plus, your wear rates were the lowest of any 10-25k ODO PD-TDI [average Fe wear rate was 9.08ppm / 1000 miles, your wear rate was 4.20 ppm / 1000 miles]. considering that your oil sample was in service in a nearly new engine (from 10k ODO to 20k ODO), the last 10k UOA of yours that i saw was excellent. but you seem unhappy with it - am i missing something?

as a comparison, see this 2003 TDI UOA w/ 5k on oil and 25k on ODO. this UOA is OK, but your '04 PD-TDI took 10k to produce the amount of Fe this '03 created in 5k...