www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old November 10th, 2019, 17:44   #5086
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
My next daily driver will be an EV, but that's still two or three years away.
You may be able to get a Fiat 500 with a Tesla powertrain at that point.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 21:17   #5087
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
You may be able to get a Fiat 500 with a Tesla powertrain at that point.
I believe Fiat 500 is going the way of the DoDo this year for USA.
2006 Sprinter
2014 JSW (Went back to VW)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 04:07   #5088
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Canada isn't the USA and does sometimes get models that aren't certified for the USA (due to having support for both FMVSS and UNECE compliant vehicles in their safety equipment laws, and due to buying smaller vehicles typically).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 06:38   #5089
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
Iíll take an American made car that I will be proud to own. And it wonít be a GM, Ford, or Fiat/Chrysler. America now has the standard. Tesla.
Until they outsource most of the parts production to China. They won't be able to resist the lure of labor at a fraction of the price.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 07:28   #5090
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Canada isn't the USA and does sometimes get models that aren't certified for the USA
Ah, yup, I missed that he is Canuckastani
2006 Sprinter
Old November 11th, 2019, 08:22   #5091
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicDoc View Post
Until they outsource most of the parts production to China. They won't be able to resist the lure of labor at a fraction of the price.
Interesting prediction. Itís still American, and still the best electric car company. Tesla is the first American car company I can and WILL stand behind. I donít mind paying more for something Iíll drive into the ground!
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 09:25   #5092
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

We're coming up on 45,000 trouble free* miles on our Model 3

*the AC compressor was replaced under warranty because it was getting noisy. It didn't fail completely and was still cooling well.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 17:52   #5093
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I just read this piece about a Ford pickup in Berlin getting hoisted away for ICE'ing (blocking)a supercharger. The police even tweeted a joke about how inefficient the truck is. They must be a rare sight in Germany. I would have loved to see the owners face when he came back to no truck.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-owne...rging-station/
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 18:19   #5094
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I just read this piece about a Ford pickup in Berlin getting hoisted away for ICE'ing (blocking)a supercharger. The police even tweeted a joke about how inefficient the truck is. They must be a rare sight in Germany. I would have loved to see the owners face when he came back to no truck.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-owne...rging-station/
Looks like the Germans know how to handle an ICEr.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 17:42   #5095
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
My next daily driver will be an EV, but that's still two or three years away. Out of what's on the market right now, Chevrolet Bolt, Kia Niro would meet my needs. Tesla too expensive and I want to see how they stand up over a few winters. Thin paint on an aluminum body (S, X) just results in scraped or worn spots, thin paint on a steel body (3, Y) could lead to them becoming rust-buckets. VW may have something interesting by then although supposedly the hatch (ID3) isn't coming to North America, and I'm not interested in a CUV unless it is a Bolt/Niro sized vehicle, i.e. a hatch masquerating as a CUV.
I share your sentiment. But, I really wish they'd come back with a powertrain like the Chevy volt had. Seriously the best of both worlds.

A small IC motor putting out ~30hp at pretty much constant rpm, tuned for good NVH, driving the rear wheels through a (simplified) CVT, and a (much smaller) battery to power an electric motor for the front wheels for acceleration would serve a lot of use cases. The small IC motor would provide all steady-state power with a slight excess to recharge the batteries (coupled through the road surface). The battery mass could be cut by 2/3 probably. Conceivably, if super capacitors get good enough, they could be used for instantaneous 'surge' power and further lighten/shrink the battery and/or extend its serviceable life through better power profiling.

The front/rear power sources could be flipped of course for more sporty applications of course. I just picked electric up front for it's inclement weather traction benefits.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 18:03   #5096
dremd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I share your sentiment. But, I really wish they'd come back with a powertrain like the Chevy volt had. Seriously the best of both worlds.

A small IC motor putting out ~30hp at pretty much constant rpm, tuned for good NVH, driving the rear wheels through a (simplified) CVT, and a (much smaller) battery to power an electric motor for the front wheels for acceleration would serve a lot of use cases. The small IC motor would provide all steady-state power with a slight excess to recharge the batteries (coupled through the road surface). The battery mass could be cut by 2/3 probably. Conceivably, if super capacitors get good enough, they could be used for instantaneous 'surge' power and further lighten/shrink the battery and/or extend its serviceable life through better power profiling.

The front/rear power sources could be flipped of course for more sporty applications of course. I just picked electric up front for it's inclement weather traction benefits.

I used to feel that way, in fact I thought that BMW I3 REX was ideal, after owning pure EV's for 4 years and about 100K I will say I was wrong, ditch all the complication, weight, maintenance, and wasted space for rarely used ICE and throw some more batteries in if needed/ rent/ an ICEonce or twice per year.
2006 Sprinter
Old November 14th, 2019, 06:49   #5097
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I used to feel that way, in fact I thought that BMW I3 REX was ideal, after owning pure EV's for 4 years and about 100K I will say I was wrong, ditch all the complication, weight, maintenance, and wasted space for rarely used ICE and throw some more batteries in if needed/ rent/ an ICEonce or twice per year.
I am waiting because Tesla bought and will use Maxwell battery technology, which will up range and shorten charge time.

I agree, rent an ICE if needed. But in a couple years, the number of chargers is set to more than double what there are today.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:45   #5098
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet

Quote:
**Looks at your screen name at left**

Yes, I see you live in one of those tiny states the size of one of our counties. <obvious exaggeration, for effect. In reality, you're only half the size of AZ, but it still puts things into perspective.

Different perspective. We like to go to visit friends in Tucson (220 mile round trip) and sometimes tack errands onto the end. We also like to get our dental work done for 1/3 prices in Nogales, MX, 8 hours round trip. These trips are already long enough before you add charge times.

Last edited by nicklockard; November 14th, 2019 at 11:47. Reason: speeling
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 12:36   #5099
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
**Looks at your screen name at left**

Yes, I see you live in one of those tiny states the size of one of our counties. <obvious exaggeration, for effect. In reality, you're only half the size of AZ, but it still puts things into perspective.

Different perspective. We like to go to visit friends in Tucson (220 mile round trip) and sometimes tack errands onto the end. We also like to get our dental work done for 1/3 prices in Nogales, MX, 8 hours round trip. These trips are already long enough before you add charge times.
Thank goodness you drive a TDI. We TDI owners can wait things out until chargers are more frequent, and charge times get short enough to compete with filling liquids in our car! In 3-5 years.
Old November 15th, 2019, 06:20   #5100
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

Quote:
From personal experience, I agree.
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote