Odd vibration when turning the wheel

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
A few months back, i changed out my master cylinder on my 98 Jetta TDI manual. Unrelated, I changed out my front motor mount, because the previous one was smushed. Pretty uneventful fixes.

This week, i noticed an odd vibration from the engine bay. I could only feel the vibration through the depressed brake pedal, when turning the wheel to the far right. It seems to coincide with the engine RPMs. It almost feels like the clutch is catching ever so slightly. No one else notices the vibration, it's pretty imperceptible, but I notice it.

I thought maybe my brake/clutch fluid was low. It's fine. I don't notice any leaks or issues with the engine or transmission.

Any ideas what this might be? Maybe one of the other motor mounts is shot and the metal is clanging when I turn the wheel? Maybe the clutch is starting to go? Maybe some air in the clutch fluid line?

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
If you are only feeling it when turning I don't think it would be related to the clutch. Do you also feel it in the steering wheel? Maybe cv joint(s)? That would click / create vibration that can be felt and usually presents itself when turning.

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I'm thinking maybe it's a rear motor mount. The engine seems a bit shakier recently as well, and i think the rubber is probably smooshed.