www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2017, 21:59   #1
halfbytecode
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: S
Default Diesel purge, potential issues?

Hi,

My car has a 1.6 TDI CLNA engine, that is almost 7 years old, and has done over 124,000 kms. The fuel quality around here is not good. The fuel filter is replaced every 15,000 kms!

Anyhow, the injectors on this engine are prone to failure around here. Fortunately, I have not had any injector failures.

Considering diesel purge does not clean injectors entirely, is it likely the injectors could get clogged from the movement of any deposits in them, or lead to another issue with the car?

Am I better off not performing the diesel purge, considering the otherwise failure prone injectors?
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 03:00   #2
Henrick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Default

Firstly, where is that 'Somewhere' location? Looks like you have a Polo Sedan - is this in Russia?

Do NOT change fuel that often! New fuel filter lets in larger contamination particles than slightly clogged one. Let the fuel filter run 40-45k km before changing it. You are really doing more harm than good with that.

About 6 months ago I performed injector cleaning procedure on my 1.6 TDI. I bought 2 cans of Liqui Moly Diesel Spulung. I installed an in-line clear fuel filter on the return line. Ran the fuel tank nearly empty. Added entire can of LM to the tank. Ran it nearly empty again. Noticeable power loss due to the purge. Then again added one more can, ran it till nearly empty. Added 1 liter of diesel to the tank. Ran it till nearly empty. Then I visited the gas station and filled in the tank with premium diesel. Went to my garage and removed the in-line fuel fulter which remained clear (no color change, no contaminants, etc).

When I say 'ran it till nearly empty', I mean I was driving the car at various speeds and various RPMs, not idling!

Upon next few tanks I noticed slight mileage improvement (or is this my imagination only??).
Also, Seems that LM freed up the DPF - I have seen the longest distance between the regens ever right after the cleaning procedure.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:28   #3
halfbytecode
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: S
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
Firstly, where is that 'Somewhere' location? Looks like you have a Polo Sedan - is this in Russia?

Do NOT change fuel that often! New fuel filter lets in larger contamination particles than slightly clogged one. Let the fuel filter run 40-45k km before changing it. You are really doing more harm than good with that.

About 6 months ago I performed injector cleaning procedure on my 1.6 TDI. I bought 2 cans of Liqui Moly Diesel Spulung. I installed an in-line clear fuel filter on the return line. Ran the fuel tank nearly empty. Added entire can of LM to the tank. Ran it nearly empty again. Noticeable power loss due to the purge. Then again added one more can, ran it till nearly empty. Added 1 liter of diesel to the tank. Ran it till nearly empty. Then I visited the gas station and filled in the tank with premium diesel. Went to my garage and removed the in-line fuel fulter which remained clear (no color change, no contaminants, etc).

When I say 'ran it till nearly empty', I mean I was driving the car at various speeds and various RPMs, not idling!

Upon next few tanks I noticed slight mileage improvement (or is this my imagination only??).
Also, Seems that LM freed up the DPF - I have seen the longest distance between the regens ever right after the cleaning procedure.
Well, it is a high dust area (as per VW), and the fuel quality is also bad.

Actually, VW recommends changing the fuel filter (and all other filters too) every 15,000 kms around here. It is there in the maintenance information.

I was thinking of running the Liquid Moly Diesel Purge directly, without putting it in the fuel tank, as described here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87948

What do you think about running diesel purge through these otherwise failure prone injectors?

This is the first time I am reading about the drop in power. Is it restored now?
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 19:04   #4
Kalter|Tod
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wyoming
Default

diesel purge will not hurt the injectors..... not one bit.... I have used it on countless vehicles and it has never harmed a thing..... I do recommend running it directly through the ip just make sure that you put an inline filter on the suction line so it does not suck up any of the free particulate matter that gets flushed out of the injectors......

Drive more worry less.
Kalter|Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 21:44   #5
halfbytecode
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: S
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalter|Tod View Post
diesel purge will not hurt the injectors..... not one bit.... I have used it on countless vehicles and it has never harmed a thing..... I do recommend running it directly through the ip just make sure that you put an inline filter on the suction line so it does not suck up any of the free particulate matter that gets flushed out of the injectors......

Drive more worry less.
Thanks. I have seen some videos that show the inline fuel filter on the return line to the diesel purge container.

Would it be better that way, if I plan to put the leftover diesel purge into the fuel tank?
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 23:51   #6
vanbcguy
Veteran Member
 
vanbcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Default

There shouldn't really be any diesel purge left over. It's definitely safe to dump in the tank though.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
__________________
My build thread: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=32967.0
vanbcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 00:59   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member
 
turbobrick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: maine
Default

So where is VW recommending 15k km fuel filter changes? We won't laugh, really. Do the old filters look dirty when changed? I'd think there would be more risk of dust/contamination getting in from cracking the canister open so often.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:29   #8
halfbytecode
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: S
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
There shouldn't really be any diesel purge left over. It's definitely safe to dump in the tank though.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Yes, I was thinking of pouring the little amount left in the container, when the engine is switched off timely, so as to prevent running without any fuel or diesel purge intake.

I think it would be better to place the inline filter on the return line to the container for that, to ensure diesel purge remains clean(er) and deposits are filtered away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
So where is VW recommending 15k km fuel filter changes? We won't laugh, really. Do the old filters look dirty when changed? I'd think there would be more risk of dust/contamination getting in from cracking the canister open so often.
From what you said, I think we have different kind of fuel filters here. They are sealed units, and there is no canister to open.

The sealed unit is taken out, a new sealed unit is put in its place, and the fuel lines are hooked to it.

VW really seem to have thought this well, as they have eliminated the possibility of dust or other contaminants from getting into the fuel filter/canister, by making sealed fuel filter units.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 14:35   #9
halfbytecode
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: S
Default

I just did this successfully. There is a perceivable difference, but I feel there is still more to "purge".

I used 500 ml of diesel purge. Should I do it again with another 500 ml of it right away, or should I leave it as is?
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 15:18   #10
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: central Ohio
Fuel Economy: 50/45/35
Default

Maybe try using a fuel additive appropriate to your conditions.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 17:38   #11
vanbcguy
Veteran Member
 
vanbcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Default

If your primary objective is cleaning the pump, the best thing to do is to start it up running off the diesel purge, let it run till the purge is at least 3/4 gone, then shut the engine off and let it soak overnight. That'll give it plenty of time to do its job. By the time you're that far down the bottle there shouldn't be much besides purge in the pump.

I just realized I'm not sure what sort of injection system you have - is it a VE pump or is it more like a PD?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
__________________
My build thread: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=32967.0
vanbcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 01:37   #12
Henrick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Default

His is CR. I doubt there's anything inside the pump what you might want to clean up and soak overnight
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:31   #13
billiebbyy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Anniston, AL
Default

I’m looking to do the same thing on a PD engine. Should I run it through and let it sit or...?
billiebbyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:55   #14
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

just do like Post 11 says. its probably not going to do anything from "soaking" but its not going to hurt anything either.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any potential issues filling to the brim? czeetah VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 44 October 22nd, 2014 00:01
Lubromoly proline diesel purge vs Liquimoly diesel purge D-Cell_Mekanick Fuels & Lubricants 8 April 3rd, 2014 23:44
Mk5 with a CJAA, looking to do diesel purge, but having some issues... 9OrangeLetters TDI 101 3 May 4th, 2013 18:53
new TDI owner...potential turbo issues?! TheGreek TDI 101 49 August 27th, 2008 12:12
HELP TDI GURUS...fuel filter/diesel purge issues.. TDIinRI VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 6 April 18th, 2004 23:11


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17085 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 119.63 Kb. compressed to 100.51 Kb. by saving 19.12 Kb. (15.98%)]