www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old October 24th, 2019, 08:12   #31
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That is the idea. Late injection events cause excess fuel to be burned in the dpf, turning the soot into ash at high temps. The water temp raises a few degrees IIRC but not any appreciable amount. I don't think my oil temp goes up any to be concerned over either.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; October 24th, 2019 at 08:15.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:31   #32
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

I know my car is in regen mode when the Exhaust temperatures shown on my ScanGauge are about 1,300 degF.

If its cool enough I'll idle until the temps are down to 300 deg.

If its hot outside I may drive around the block to let the temps go down before I shut the engine down.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 13:40   #33
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

But I think they were asking about engine temperatures (water/oil) not the already known exhaust temps. Those were already stated in their post.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:57   #34
vwexpress

Regen 101 for me please.
New to me 2015 golf Sportwagen, good shape, 25,000 miles. have only run 2 tanks of fuel, so I'm unsure if, or when it goes into regen. Still getting used to the regular driving motions and sounds of the car, but sometimes I notice something, is just a little different.
I drive a lot, like 600 miles or more a week, with a heavy load, like 600 lbs of tools. I'm assuming that it has plenty of time to do the regen when I'm on the hy-way, or either of the 55 mile one way trips....
vwexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 17:23   #35
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

They will happen every 200 to 300 miles. Without gauges pretty much impossible to tell while driving highway. At idle it will idle slightly faster at about 1k rpms instead of around 800rpms. Fans will stay running on high when parked and shut off. With gauges from an OBDII dongle and an app you can see the exhaust temps and know when one is happening. VagDpf works for me and is designed just for this. I can see the soot level and know when one is about to trigger and when it is nearing completion, and then drive accordingly.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 17:30   #36
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

i only notice the mpg go down and the egt go up to 1500f and the dpf rise to 1200f. yea it gets hot. i can feel the heat on my foot through the firewall. also the coolant temp rises.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 20:30   #37
vwexpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
They will happen every 200 to 300 miles. Without gauges pretty much impossible to tell while driving highway. At idle it will idle slightly faster at about 1k rpms instead of around 800rpms. Fans will stay running on high when parked and shut off. With gauges from an OBDII dongle and an app you can see the exhaust temps and know when one is happening. VagDpf works for me and is designed just for this. I can see the soot level and know when one is about to trigger and when it is nearing completion, and then drive accordingly.

Thanks for the info, I'm fairly certain that I'm just going to pound the miles on this thing, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....
I also clicked in the how to upload pictures in you sig.... looks like I won't be posting pictures.
vwexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 07:49   #38
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Why no pics? It isn't hard, you just have to host them somewhere, here or another site like Imgur.