Large Cooling fan

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Good Morning,

I noticed the other day that my cooling fans were uber loud. and still running when I got out my JSW. I know this is semi normal but what wasnt was how loud they were. So I popped the hood and had a look and only one fan was going as turbo speeds and wobbling all over the place. so panic mode sat in and I started to order replacements but then I checked the fuses and they were all good, but it was blowing my mind that the BIG fan(Driver side) was the fan not spinning but the little one was. From the diagram the big fan seems to be the controller for the little guy or did I read that wrong. I do get a code that its stuck
( P1950 - Coolant fan for coolant difficulty of movement/blocked Intermittent)
. So is this pretty much and item I will have to drop $400 on to get fixed? I swear this car does not want my wallet to get above $200. lol

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I recently replaced the both fans on my 09 Jetta with similar problem. I purchased both fans from idparts around $260. It was fairly easy job to do.
The extended warranty would cover if it threw a CEL for emissions. The extended warranty guide doesn't list the coolant fans

Last edited:

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cooling fan failures are somewhat common. Hastened on the CR cars due to the regen cycle taxing them even more. This is something I try and check every service. BOTH fans should always run together, there is never a time when only one fan should run, FYI.

On many of these cars that require the fan shroud assembly be removed to swap the fans, I would strongly suggest doing them both at the same time.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Cooling fan failures are somewhat common. Hastened on the CR cars due to the regen cycle taxing them even more. This is something I try and check every service. BOTH fans should always run together, there is never a time when only one fan should run, FYI.

On many of these cars that require the fan shroud assembly be removed to swap the fans, I would strongly suggest doing them both at the same time.
Since I am getting a CEL for this and I still have the warranty I hope they will be replacing them.