www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 16th, 2019, 10:25   #1
A8L TDI

TDI(s): None yet
Question Interested in the A8L TDI After Fix - Worth Looking Into?

Hi all,

I have been looking at the A8L TDI for a while and am interested in considering a '14-'16 as my next vehicle.

I assume that virtually all 3.0 TDIs available for sale have been "fixed" at this point. My main concern is that fuel mileage on these vehicles now is reduced, especially in city driving. I also read on here about reduced responsiveness/ diesel noise at start-up and idle.

In addition, I am concerned about potentially odd/ uncomfortable shift patterns.

I would assume that some of the performance issues can be remedied with a ECU tune (i.e. Malone), but the sub-optimal shift patterns, noise, and reduced fuel economy do not appear to be "reversible".

I am mostly interested in the A8L for their fuel economy and comfortable driving experience. Would you say these are still worth looking into even after the fix (not too many out there - none locally)?
A8L TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 10:31   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you have all of these worries I wouldn't be buying one, or any vehicle that worried me so much. I would find something I would be comfortable with.
Old August 16th, 2019, 11:20   #3
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

How much city driving do you do? The difference in fuel efficiency can be anywhere from .5 MPG to 2.5 MPG. It all depends on your type of driving.

In my opinion the other reports of problems are not widespread and are overblown by the Internet of complaining effect. Drive a fixed one and see what you think of the experience.
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 21:48   #4
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L TDI View Post
Hi all,
I have been looking at the A8L TDI for a while and am interested in considering a '14-'16 as my next vehicle.
I assume that virtually all 3.0 TDIs available for sale have been "fixed" at this point. My main concern is that fuel mileage on these vehicles now is reduced, especially in city driving. I also read on here about reduced responsiveness/ diesel noise at start-up and idle.
In addition, I am concerned about potentially odd/ uncomfortable shift patterns.
I would assume that some of the performance issues can be remedied with a ECU tune (i.e. Malone), but the sub-optimal shift patterns, noise, and reduced fuel economy do not appear to be "reversible".
I am mostly interested in the A8L for their fuel economy and comfortable driving experience. Would you say these are still worth looking into even after the fix (not too many out there - none locally)?
Pretty rare car, but also really fantastic. I kid you not, the A8L absolutely outclasses 7 Series BMWs and S Class Mercedes' for interior quality and comfort. They really are on a whole other level.

But, if I did more city driving than anything, I likely wouldn't buy a diesel at all. I see so many more expensive parts failing on diesel cars that primarily drive in the city, it's kind of crazy. Frequent long highway trips? They just kind of keep going and make it very easy to eat up the miles with effortless passing, very little need to downshift, very low engine noise and awesome comfort.

But if I did more city driving than anything and had A8L money? I'd probably just get a Tesla instead... plus that'd get me carpool lane access as a single occupant.
Old August 16th, 2019, 22:05   #5
A8L TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
How much city driving do you do? The difference in fuel efficiency can be anywhere from .5 MPG to 2.5 MPG. It all depends on your type of driving.

In my opinion the other reports of problems are not widespread and are overblown by the Internet of complaining effect. Drive a fixed one and see what you think of the experience.
I do about 1/3 city driving. The rest is longer distance road trips. Definitely going to see if one pops up locally to go for a test drive. I would not like a long warm up cycles with late shifts and high rpms in the city. Is the city mpg really a lot worse after the fix?
Old August 17th, 2019, 10:29   #6
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

I’m guessing with that ratio of city to highway driving you’d experience a fuel efficiency loss in the area of +/-1.5 mpg combined. The issue is the warm up, yes. That has always been true of diesels because the temperature of the fuel affects efficiency, but more so now that the cars have been forced to comply with emissions limits even when cold.
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 19:06   #7
Dr Chill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2016 A8L TDI

Simply one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I traded in my 15 A8L TDI for a new leftover 16 when they came off the stop sale in 2/18. The combination of comfort, power, fuel efficiency cannot be matched by any other vehicle.

Can't tell you about the warm up cycle since it is never cold here in so FL.
2015 Camaro Z/28
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 17:49   #8
A8L TDI

Thanks for all the replies! Will definitely look into these more seriously now. I hope to find one locally soon so I can take it for a test drive.