www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 12th, 2019, 20:08   #1
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: 30
Default TDI Buybacks are deals

I shopped around for a couple months before I found this ‘14 with only 14k on the odometer for $9k but it got smacked in the rear and has a salvaged title, the fix was done in March.... but even before buying this I saw a couple other local 2014’s at $10k and $10.5k but with odometers in the 40k range, being the CheapBastard I am I had to jump on this when I saw it.
The reason for purchasing it was money saving, better mpg and getting rid of the Passat with a $240 payment, figuring on dropping around $325/month in bills with the fuel savings. I also figured that if I ever want a TDi that this is the best time and maybe last chances to pick one up.
CheapBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 21:06   #2
akjdouglass
Veteran Member

Nice find. It looks like new and I'm betting it feels like new, too.

Makes me wish I could buy several now and hoard them for future use.

akjdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 21:13   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Welcome to tdiclub! Nice looking car and good deal to boot! Salvage title means nothing if it was repaired properly and you want to own it for the long haul. Lots of info already here for you to read and get up to speed. Proper maintenance is key with these.

One favor though. Try resizing your pics to about 800x600 so they don't blow the margins of the page out and make it hard to read by having to scroll back and forth. Not everyone has a huge screen. The best way to do this is to post a 800x600 thumbnail that is clickable to the original size pic if needed.
Old June 13th, 2019, 10:46   #4
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Is the salvage title covered under the extended emission warranty?

Or lemon title for that matter?
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 11:11   #5
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

As far as I know it is but I really don’t know
Old June 13th, 2019, 11:41   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Did you buy it from a VW dealer or some other dealer? When did the accident happen that caused the salvage title? Who did the repairs?
Old June 13th, 2019, 15:50   #7
drsven
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
Is the salvage title covered under the extended emission warranty?

Or lemon title for that matter?

So how many vehicles have you been able to sell back under “Lemon Aid”?
drsven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 18:33   #8
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsven View Post
So how many vehicles have you been able to sell back under “Lemon Aid”?
Two. The cayenne and the A8L. Unfortunately or fortunately. The only TDI I have now is a Q5 that still runs great, 20k miles after the emission repair. No problem there. It's got 113k miles on the odometer and I hope I can run it to at least 200k miles.

I am toying with the idea of tracking my buybacks down and buy back one of them. The reason is that the dealerships really did a lot of things on them and they should be problem proof for a while. On the A8L, the Audi dealership replaced the HPFP/LPHP/DPF/fuel meter sensor/the whole fuel lines/Fuel tank/windshield, repaired the leaks, did the alignment job. The real culprit for the problem could very well only be the fuel tank but the car got a whole set of new stuff. Some further work on the suspension, new tires and brake pads, the car will have a new life.

Audi/Porsche will most likely market them as a lemon. I already saw a couple of cars for sale as so. I had no idea if the cars will still be covered under the extended emission warranty.
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:25   #9
CJM_RVA

Even with the salvage title, $9k for a '14 with that little mileage does sound like a deal. The value for money is what got me interested at first too--I ended up with a '13 with 64k miles for 9650 before tax/fee, and I still think I did pretty well for a CPO one owner with exactly the options and color I wanted.
CJM_RVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:45   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If it was fixed properly that is an excellent deal, and you don't mind the salvage title. For long term use it wouldn't matter. If you wanted to turn around and sell it, it would hurt. Also some insurance companies won't insure full coverage on a salvage titled vehicle. Normal loans too. Check that out with your insurance/finance company first. These kinds of things are usually cash deals and liability only.
Old June 14th, 2019, 16:50   #11
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If it was fixed properly that is an excellent deal, and you don't mind the salvage title. For long term use it wouldn't matter. If you wanted to turn around and sell it, it would hurt. Also some insurance companies won't insure full coverage on a salvage titled vehicle. Normal loans too. Check that out with your insurance/finance company first. These kinds of things are usually cash deals and liability only.

Being the CheapBastard that I am , I go liability only, I’ve heard banks won’t lend for salvage titles and I paid cash, no loan
Old June 14th, 2019, 18:10   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You did excellent in my book then! Being in debt is the modern form of slavery in my opinion.