www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 4th, 2019, 17:22   #16
DIVISIONINCISION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TDI View Post
The warranty for other model year vehicles can be found in their respective warranty booklets under Emissions Modification heading on https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/
Thanks for the useful info.

Unfortunately, my 2011 JSW TDI only has about a year left on the warranty based on my current usage.

4yr/48K miles from the date the mod was done (Nov/2018).

The car has 26k miles on it now.

I drive about 2K miles/month.

Engine won’t turn
And the train won’t leave...
"
DIVISIONINCISION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 18:24   #17
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Read it again, it is the greater of the two:

The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:

(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale, or

(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).

b says you still have several years at least and nearly 100k miles.
Old February 5th, 2019, 03:16   #18
DIVISIONINCISION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
R
(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).

b says you still have several years at least and nearly 100k miles.
The way I read it was 10 years from "in-service" date, which was 2011, not 10 years from modification and re-sale.

Are you sure?

I'll ask when I hit up the VW in my city, but just wondered.

Engine won’t turn
And the train won’t leave...
"
DIVISIONINCISION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:28   #19
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Yes, it should be ten years or 120k miles from date of purchase. That should still give you at least 18 months of warranty coverage. That's making the assumption that the car was placed into service early in the 2011 cycle (Sept 2010). Even if you bought a ten year/120k warranty yourself, you would still use that up in about 5 years.
Old February 6th, 2019, 09:59   #20
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Only semi related, this is a reminder that miles cost money. It's not just the cost of fuel. At least this has been very reliable so hopefully your costs stay low.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 20:28   #21
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVISIONINCISION View Post
Thanks for the useful info.
Unfortunately, my 2011 JSW TDI only has about a year left on the warranty based on my current usage.
4yr/48K miles from the date the mod was done (Nov/2018).
The car has 26k miles on it now.
I drive about 2K miles/month.
Yes ... you've got 4 years or 48,000 mi from Nov 2018. Lots of time left. At current usage you'll burn through the mileage allowance in a couple of years.

It doesn't matter if the other condition expires. If EITHER <one set of conditions> OR <the other set of conditions> is met, you're covered.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:29   #22
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Let's summarize divisionincision's case:

2011 JSW with 26,000 miles on it. He puts on 2,000 a month, so 24,000 miles a year. He would use up the first limit of the warranty at the end of the second year after the fix. 4 yr or 48,000 miles. However, the other limit of the warranty is 10 years or 120,000 miles from original in-service date. If we assume the original in-service date was Oct 2010, then the extended warranty would expire in Oct 2020, regardless of miles, since it doesn't look like he would pass 120,000 miles within the next ~18 months.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:59   #23
viper550

Fuel Economy: Winter 49-51mpg Summer 51-53mpg with Jetta. 33-34mpg Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
It is in the publications that VW provided to owners in the course of all this. Your googling is as good as mine, so that's on you.
In a nutshell ... "another dealer" is right. It covers the emission control system including the DPF and other catalysts including the SCR catalyst where so equipped (Gen 1 doesn't have one), the fuel injection system (which is part of the emission control system - includes the fuel injection pump), and it covers the engine long block insofar as foreseeable effects that the emission control system could have on it. (If you have a leaky valve cover gasket, it's probably not covered, because there's no conceivable way that the emission control system could have any connection to it. If you punch a hole in a piston, it probably is covered, because the calibration of the emission control system could have an effect on this. If you blow a turbo, again, the calibration of the emission control system could have an effect on this.)
It DOES NOT cover: Clutch, transmission, CV joints, wheel bearings, brakes, air conditioning, power steering, etc.
From my personal experience with a Q5 the valve cover gasket ( VW calls it a Head Cover Gasket) WAS covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty. Although not at first, I did have to get Audi Customer Care involved. I asked them to explain how the long block, heads, and head covers are explicitly covered and not the gasket between the covers and heads. It took them a little bit to respond but they DID cover the leaky valve cover gasket under the Extended emissions warranty.
So moral of the story. If according to VW's own warranty booklet it seems like something that should be covered. Use their own wording against them. Where it states "Any conflict concerning warranty coverage should be resolved in favor of the consumer". That worked for me.
My experience can be found here
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494873

2015 Q5 TDI S-line
Daytona Grey. Fixed and Corrected

Last edited by viper550; May 12th, 2019 at 12:10.
viper550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 16:36   #24
Paracordinnovations

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta

Couple of questions/opinion on what to do here as this is my first TDI or diesel powered vehicle for that matter. I purchased my 2012 Jetta 12/2018 after the fix from a dealer with 52,000 miles on it, 6-speed premium package. In Northern Illinois through the cold winter it was fine and within the first week I installed the Kerma TDI Qpro+ tune. Works great, no issues. As it has now warmed up to the 70-80 degree mark for the weather, I noticed the other day puffs of the black soot (smoke) briefly after a shift. No codes, no loss of power, and I can monitor several different gauges through the alpine iLX-107 head unit I installed through the communications port. All readings, boost, MAF, EGT, torque are reading as they always have with no issues.

I have searched and read many posts here and on Google relating to the black smoke on the TDI engine. I know it can be a number of things causing it but I don't know why it would just start doing it. I can switch my rear camera on while driving and monitor the smoke coming out. As I said it's very short and not like I'm "rolling coal" like a truck. I also read that with a tune, this can happen, but the tune is designed to work without having to delete anything.

So under this "warranty" would this be something for the dealer to look at considering the EGR is covered as well as the DPF and other components that all seem linked to black soot/smoke? I also have yet to try removing the tune and seeing if it changes anything, which is the next step before starting to look at intercooler piping for leaks.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't think it's that big of a deal since the car is running fine, just annoying when the first 6 months I had it this didn't happen.
Paracordinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 19:29   #25
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Remove the tune. If it continues you have a problem and the warranty should cover it unless they decide your tune caused it, which is within their right as the tune changes the behavior of the engine management.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 19:40   #26
Paracordinnovations

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta

Thank you for that information and I do understand if I program it there's a chance it comes back on me. All my vehicles are tuned but they are also all gas. If it is just the tune and that's something you deal with on a TDI that's tuned, I can deal with that. Thanks for the info though, I will try removing it first.
Paracordinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 15:24   #27
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Most of the tunes I have seen/had are slightly overfueled and will do this (older cars, pre dpf). I would be contacting Kerma though and not the dealer. I would also be concerned about the dpf and regens if you are seeing black smoke/soot. Either the dpf isn't handling it or it is cracked letting soot through. Soot should not be making its way past the dpf. The tailpipe should be nearly clean at all times. Run your finger inside of the exhaust outlet and see if it is black with soot. I bet it is. I would also think that if the dealer finds the TD1 code you will be refused warranty work on it for this event.