A4 timing belt change question

dingels75

TDI
02' Jetta TDI 365K, 12' Jetta TDI (gone to VW buyback)
I just completed my first timing belt change (the cars second). I purchased the TDIforum CD and followed it step by step with a laptop next to the car. All went well, I replaced all of the pulleys, tensioners, stretch bolts, water pump and seals and used blue Loctite on everything but haven't closed things up yet because there is one nagging question from the procedure bothering me. When I inserted the cam-lock pin into the injection pump, the procedure on the PDF of the CD states that it should be in approximately the 1 o'clock position. Mine was in approximately the 12 o'clock position. Does anyone have any experience with this detail? I'm looking for some reassurance before I button everything back up! Also, all four 6mm allen head bolts on the serpentine belt balancer stripped and I had to drill them out. Is this a common issue? I won't be replacing these with allen head bolts! Thanks!

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If you put the pin in before you remove the belt it should be in the right place. However, the pin goes in, in the 12 o'clock position in relation to the pump. But the pump sits at a angle so that is why you read the 1 o'clock position.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
did you check with a mirror to e sure you were pinning the pump in the hole? and not the void? the hole is obvious, the void has no edges like the hole.

void is also called the "sucker hole" on these forums.

the hole is at the 12 o'clock position to the pump body, but as it is mounted in the car, it looks like around 1pm since the motor is mounted tilted in the car.

just be sure that the pin is in line with the shiny flat square boss on teh pump body and not off to either side of it. the flat square boss is on the far side of the belt guard on the pump side. behind the timing belt.

I wish I had a photo to show you. but you can figure it out.

as long as you had the cam locked and the flywheel at TDC when you put it back together, no damage will occur. it just won't start. so double check the cam & pump lock and TDC before you try to start the car and be 100% that you are in the pin hole, and not the sucker hole.

best of luck.

dingels75

TDI
I am probably in the right place after both of your "pump is mounted at an angle" explanations. But to make 100% sure I will again lock the cam and the crank at TDC and double check to verify with a mirror that I indeed had the hole and not the "sucker" void as you both point out. I love this site.....thanks a million guys!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If the cam lock plate slide in place and the crank hold down went in place (TDC varified on tranny end looking thru the hole for the marks), then everything should be okay.

Although, I have the metalnerd tools and use them, I have my own procedure for changing a TB on an ALH engine which works very well (no, not "mark and pray").

bryanbryan89x

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed - 380k MI
dingels75 said:
all four 6mm allen head bolts on the serpentine belt balancer stripped and I had to drill them out. Is this a common issue? I won't be replacing these with allen head bolts! Thanks!
That is fairly common, I always bang a 12 mm (or is it 1/2) socket over them and take them that out way. so much easier than drilling them out.

I am not 100% sure, but I think replacing the cap bolts with a hex head bolt wont work out in that instance, there may not be enough sidewall clearance to get a socket over hex bolt when installing it on the HB.

dingels75

TDI
It's a good thing that I got on here and asked the 12 o'clock/1 o'clock question because I was in the "sucker hole"! The shiny, flat boss along with the mirror trick got me fixed up. I turned the engine over twice with the sprocket tool and everything is still right on mark! You guys are a lifesaver!!!

As for those bolts.....if a hex head bolt won't work because of side clearance some star bolts instead of the allen heads might do the trick! If I can find such an animal....

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
nice few pictures there.. great resource chittychitty. Thanks~

dingels75

TDI
My TB replacement went great with help from you guys with my question about the location of the injection pump alignment hole. I used the TDIforums CD ($10 donation to the site) and had my laptop 4 feet away from the car and followed it step by step, I would recommend this to anyone doing a TDI timing belt for the first time. I also rented a set of the proper tools from TDICADDGUY on this site for a reasonable price and it was a pleasure dealing with him. I bought the 100K TB kit from TDIparts which was great because it comes with all the belts, rollers, tensioner, replacement bolts, seals and water pump without having to purchase everything seperately. As for the four stripped allen head bolts I replaced them with hex heads with no issues as far as socket wrench clearance. Thanks again for everyone's input and help!!!

Last edited: