BEW turbo on a BRM

Dustinicus

TDI
none yet
I need to replace the turbo for my project and I would like to reverse the orientation of the stock turbo so the compressor is on the timing cover side of the engine instead of the flywheel side.

Unless I am mistaken, the BEW looks like the compressor housing faces the timing cover. Would the electronic actuator both function and plug in the same for a BEW as it does for a BRM?
Thank you
Dustin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
BRM actuator is push type, BEW is a pull type so i'm pretty sure the scaling will be reversed...plug is the same so it may be something your tuner can take care of. That being said I think you can just have the sensor deleted in the tune.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the tuner can do away with the vane sensor. It isn't needed. The BHWs do just fine without them.

Dustinicus

TDI
none yet
Thank you for your input. I thought the vane sensor was used to give the ECU an approximation of the boost level and what not to adjust the fueling... I'm researching and studying these engines and their controls a little every day trying to understand them better. I understand that diesel engines work different than gasoline, so some of it is me just trying to remember that.
Anyway, I dont want to get too far out in the weeds on this.
I was mostly just trying to figure out how to reorient the turbo position and trying to find options for this.
Thanks again
Dustin

Dustinicus

TDI
none yet
Thank you for clarifying that. I just didnt want to buy something that ended up putting the turbo in the same orientation that it is in now.
Dustin