Ranger TDI Starting with a blank sheet of paper

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
Little intro:
Way back before build threads in 04/05 I built a '78 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab Cummins, NV4500, NP205, Dana 70/60. Build pictures are on fordtrucks.com under user name Scot.

So lately, I have been doing a lot of reading about TDI Ranger swaps here and elsewhere and thought I would get some feedback before I go out and re-invent the wheel so to speak.

I am starting with blank sheet of paper so I would appreciate any suggestions.

I am leaning towards running a AHU engine at stage 3 or perhaps 4.
If Copart would just let me buy it....

What are the clearance issues on running the twin I-beam front vs going to the torsion bar chassis? Does 2x4 simplify this? Does 4x4 complicate this? Would a SAS greatly simplify this? I am leaning towards trying to stay 2x4 this time.

My neighbor is a machinist by trade and has agreed to build me an adapter and flywheel, so my transmission choice is pretty open. (He also is interested in producing them for sale.) Reading has indicated that at stage 3 or 4 the 4cyl Ford clutch is taxed so I am not opposed to throwing a T5 or Tremec TKO under it with a SBF bellhousing and flywheel.

Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
Not sure about what room you will have, but what about taking the engine and trans and installing it longitudinally. Use the "passenger side" output to run the front diff, and the "drivers side" output to drive the rear. Making an AWD from a 4x4. You would lose low range, but it may make the install easier.

That's been stuck in my head for a while.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
You wouldn't loose low range, you'd be permanently in low range due to the differential gear in the VW transmission. It would be undriveable at highway speeds but awesome at crawling rocks.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
What are the clearance issues on running the twin I-beam front vs going to the torsion bar chassis? Does 2x4 simplify this? Does 4x4 complicate this? Would a SAS greatly simplify this? I am leaning towards trying to stay 2x4 this time.
All of them have a crossmember under the oil pan but I'm pretty sure the ttb one intrudes into the engine space the worst - sorry, don't have any specifics on this.

Reading has indicated that at stage 3 or 4 the 4cyl Ford clutch is taxed so I am not opposed to throwing a T5 or Tremec TKO under it with a SBF bellhousing and flywheel.
Actually, I'm starting to slip my stock clutch at 'stage 2' (tune + fuel). Haven't worked out which clutch I'm after but will likely be a custom south bend. We'll see how much abuse the m50d-r1 can take! :cool:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Why is the 2.3 bell housing pattern chosen over 3.0 or 4.0?
I chose the 2.3 because it gave me the option of swapping in a t5 in the event that the m5od-r1 wasn't strong enough to handle the 300+ ft lb of torque the tdi will put out once I'm done modding.

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
I am considering going with the NV3550 as there is already an adapter available.

In other news, I bought a "totaled" 03 Jetta automatic Friday. It has a few hail dings, scratches, and a small ding on the left rear fender flare. The oil pan is cracked and leaks pretty bad. Car looks pretty decent and sounds good. Nice interior. No rust. Black on black. Good tires. 35K on the timing belt.

I almost hate to part it.... Wife is looking at it with some interest.

I have a pan ordered and will then drive it a bit and see how it does.