2005 PD has no power, is this limp mode??

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
2005 tdi with a PD motor and the motor runs roughly at idle, no codes generated so far, will rev to only 4000 rpm and very sluggish. Any suggestions where to start would be appreciated

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
With no DTC's and running rough, I would change the fuel filter just to rule it out. A clogged fuel filter will not set any DTC's is relativity cheap and can effect drivability.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Probably not limp mode, unless it's fine when first started then at some point loses power. If this is a new car to you it's probably a good idea to check the camshaft.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
How did you confirm the no codes? Was this with VCDS or a generic code reader? Is your in-tank lift pump working?

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
filter has been changed,

no codes from the vag com

cam has slight damage but lobes intact and it has not progressed any worse for 15000 miles

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its in the fuel tank, under the rear seat. Lift up the right rear seat bottom. Turn the key to "ON". (don't engage the starter) and listen for a 1-2 second pump sound. The pump only runs for a second or two, unless the engine starts. No sound, most likely the pump has failed. The originals failed a lot!

--Nate

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
2005 PD still sluggish- any advice welcome

Changed the fuel filter per a suggestion, lift pump is working, no codes showing, no check engine light ( cel?). Will start alright but has always run rough when cold, gets better as it warms up ( egr maybe??) but the big thing is it is slow to rev, and will not reach redline or close to it when the pedal is fully depressed, almost sounds like it is running on three cyl. Have not pulled the valve cover lately but will tomorrow to check the cam. Last oil testing showed little if any metals so I am thinking that is not it but will make sure visually tomorrow.

Any advice is welcomed, I will try just about anything as there is no way I am taking it to the stealership and would prefer to fix it at my place if I can figure out how to go about troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks to all,

Johnny

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hate to ask a dumb question but what is the best way to check the actuator? Searched a bit but could not find a procedure, do you happen to have a link to a thread/ post?

Thanks