Rotella T-Syn 5W40 @ $29.99

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
See if it's the CJ-4 or the CI-4 version... according to Aaron at BoraParts, the newer one is far from acceptable on the TDI's...

VWGMDIESELFAN: prices are often much higher in Canada... for certain things...

Yuri

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
ymz said:
See if it's the CJ-4 or the CI-4 version... according to Aaron at BoraParts, the newer one is far from acceptable on the TDI's...

VWGMDIESELFAN: prices are often much higher in Canada... for certain things...

Yuri
say what?????

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ta79pr said:
say what?????
Do a search on BleachedBora and Rotella... one of the quotes:

"we are seeing a lot of Rotella users lately that have cooked turbos (about 10 in the last 4-months or so). Since they changed the formula of Rotella it appears that it does NOT protect the turbo the way it did in the past. Some of the turbos we've had torn down I was told had blue heat markings internally which tends to support the claim that they are running hot. I wouldn't recommend that oil anymore for those reasons."

Yuri

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I go to the Shell distributor and buy a case of 4 x 4 L jugs for $98, taxes included. No, I don't use it in my PD, but I have 4 other diesels that are quite happy with Rotella T 0W40.

Paul

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
ymz said:

"we are seeing a lot of Rotella users lately that have cooked turbos (about 10 in the last 4-months or so). Since they changed the formula of Rotella it appears that it does NOT protect the turbo the way it did in the past. Some of the turbos we've had torn down I was told had blue heat markings internally which tends to support the claim that they are running hot. I wouldn't recommend that oil anymore for those reasons."

Yuri
Hey Yuri,

I’m using Petro Can full synthetic 5w40 oil since i’ve got the car 6 years ago and haven’t had any problems.
What’s your input on this oil???

Thanks.

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
ymz said:

Yuri
Hey Yuri,

I’m using Petro Can full synthetic 5w40 oil since i’ve got the car 6 years ago and haven’t had any problems.
What’s your input on this oil???

Thanks.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
silverbeast said:
I’m using Petro Can full synthetic 5w40 oil since i’ve got the car 6 years ago and haven’t had any problems. What’s your input on this oil???
From everything I've read it's a superb oil for the 2003-and-older TDIs...

Alchemist: Aaron was talking about the Rotella-T 5W-40 generally used in the U.S...

Yuri

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
ymz said:

Yuri
I read a ton of posts, I am just more confused now. I will dump the recently changed oil on the two cars if need be. But BB's posts seem to be countered with others'. Basically, the claims that the Zinc has been stripped out of the new formula CJ4 RTS is refuted by some OA printouts. However, the claims that Turbos are failing while using new formula RTS may be true just not due to Zinc....

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2724708&postcount=41
and
http://65.110.12.166/showpost.php?p=2740448&postcount=99

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I dumped using Rotella T 5W40 for this reason. I did not want to chance things on my daily driver. I am now using the new Duron 0w40 synthetic as I could not pass up the deal 4Lx4 came out to $120 with taxes.