bike rack

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
For a 2014 Golf, any recommendations on a roof rack to carry bikes? Or is the hitch-mounted bike rack the way to go? I already own a nice Thule hitch-mount bike rack, but no hitch on my Golf. I really don't care for the look of a hitch on a Golf.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I have both a hitch rack for my golf and a roof rack for my other car. I prefer the hitch rack for bikes, much easier and quicker to load/unload and less likely to scratch the paint of your roof. You also get the added benefit of less aero drag with the hitch mount. Unless you need a roof rack for a cargo box/kayak or your Thule rack doesn't tilt to allow access to the hatch then I would say hitch mount. I use the Yakima double down and it has the tilt feature so hatch access isn't a problem.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
must prefer the hitch rack. I've damaged cars over the years trying get bikes onto the roof and won't do that again.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
OK. Then I'll order a hitch for my car. I was always nervous about entering the garage with a bike on the rack anyway.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Roof rack: harder to load; you're at risk of forgetting they're up there and driving into something with low clearance, like a garage door. Been there, done that.

Hitch rack: easier to load; bikes are in the stream of water and dirt thrown up by the car so they get filthy in the rain; the bikes are toast if you get rear-ended.

You pay your money and take your chances...

84Bruiser

TDI
SOLD (2013 JSW 6spd)
I just ordered a CURT, plan to install it soon.

I have a 1upUSA rack on my Suburban, and I just bought a second for my JSW.

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I have been folding down the seats and using the hatch on the golf. Not very practical but better for the car's paint and better for the bike.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Roof rack with Yakima Front Loaders!!

kobrian85

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT Pano
I have a Yakima Whispbar setup with RockyMount Euro Pitchforks.

S2000_guy hit the nail on the head.

I'm one of those that have already driven my bike into the garage; luckily I didn't damage anything on the bike, car or house, but it's a hard lesson that hopefully is only taught once.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I've had roof racks for my cars and used two different style Thule carriers: fork mount and sidearm.

Bought a hitch for my wife's car and a hitch carrier: Thule Helium.

I prefer the hitch mount.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
... I'm one of those that have already driven my bike into the garage ...
One of the Administrators at VWvortex did that, too.

I've come close to doing it at the house we used to go to on the Outer Banks.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
Nice hitch install and really cool bike rack. IDK, maybe I am just a perv, but every time I see those Euro hitches I think penis.

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
WhispBars and RockyMount Euro Fork on my Wagen. Prefer to a hitch. I've seen too many people rear end hitches while not paying attention behind you.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just for fun, here's my old Saris hitch rack with 2 of my bikes. The old rack is steel instead of aluminum, doesn't fold down, and doesn't have the cradles to prevent sway, but I don't use it that often so I haven't upgraded yet. The new lighter hitch racks are nice and they have lots of features too. One of these days I'l have to get one. I'll stay with the hanging bike variety, just the latest, greatest, lightest version.

on Flickr