TPMS Install on a 2012 for US import

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
I had resurrected an older thread elsewhere but thought I would post a new thread here to see if anyone had dealt with this before.

I have a 2012 Golf that I am rather fond of and would like to take with me when I move south for a new job.

Unfortunately when I got the compliance letter it turns out that VW does not install a tire pressure monitoring systems on cars sold in Canada so my car is not eligible for import.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a dealer or other certified mechanic (preferably in Ontario) who has done this. DIY is not an option if it is done to make a car compliant for import purposes as they need to have it documented.

Getting close to the point where I may have to just sell it.

Thanks in advance.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I suspect that the Canadian Golfs have the same ABS controller as the US Golfs. This means that indirect TPMS (the same type used in the US) can be easily turned on with VCDS. No wheel sensors or new controller needed. Your biggest problem will probably be convincing the right authorities that it works. You might have to let some air out of one tire and take some inspector for a ride to prove that it works. As long as your instrument panel has a light for TPMS (which it probably does), it should work. A search of thread titles for "indirect TPMS" will give you more information.

Have Fun!

Don

delta18

TDI
I suspect that the Canadian Golfs have the same ABS controller as the US Golfs. This means that indirect TPMS (the same type used in the US) can be easily turned on with VCDS. No wheel sensors or new controller needed. Your biggest problem will probably be convincing the right authorities that it works. You might have to let some air out of one tire and take some inspector for a ride to prove that it works. As long as your instrument panel has a light for TPMS (which it probably does), it should work. A search of thread titles for "indirect TPMS" will give you more information.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks. Actually one dealer I called today said they tried to do this on one customers car but that once they had changed the settings the car wouldn't start so now they are unwilling to try. Apparently because VW doesn't want cars going across the border they don't like it when service departments do this.

Actually funny that you responded because I will be heading to Nevada when I move :)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I tried this tonight on my '13 Jetta and I accepted the coding but doesn't show in the cluster when I start the engine?

Sent from my POS iPhone

delta18

TDI
Interesting. Good to know it worked. Now I just have to find a certified mechanic who can do the work...Its really too bad customs is unlikely to just take my word for it when I tell them I made the modification, otherwise I would just find someone with a VCDS and do it myself.

I'll be calling around Ontario mechanics tomorrow to see. I suspect I'll have better luck with an Indy than with the dealerships.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually funny that you responded because I will be heading to Nevada when I move :)
Where in Nevada are you headed? If it is near Las Vegas, I could probably do it for you - if you can get the car here. I have VCDS.

Have Fun!

Don

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My 2010 took no issues, and added the button while I was at it. But I did the whole thing DIY.

Here I thought indirect TPMS was standard on 2011+.

delta18

TDI
Where in Nevada are you headed? If it is near Las Vegas, I could probably do it for you - if you can get the car here. I have VCDS.

Don
I'll be up in Reno so not close at all :)

The big problem is that if I am to import it I need to have a mechanic do the work so that it can be suitably documented for CBP. Otherwise I won't be able to import it and will just have to sell it before I move.

TPMS is not standard on Golf's or Jetta's in Canada

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Actually having abs based tpms gave me a early warning that I had a nail in one of my tires. Tire still looked like it had plenty of air in it from a quick visual check.

thathubcapguy

TDI
2014 sportwagen DSG
haha thank the ford exploder for that one!!
its insane, at lease these run a non direct system. i work for hyundai and the pressure sensors that constantly corrode and break cost $130-150 EACH then need to be programmed

delta18

TDI
I tried this tonight on my '13 Jetta and I accepted the coding but doesn't show in the cluster when I start the engine?

Sent from my POS iPhone
If you are curious. I found out that to get it to activate the light in addition to changing the appropriate byte in the ABS system you also have to go into the instruments menu and turn on the TPMS light.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you are curious. I found out that to get it to activate the light in addition to changing the appropriate byte in the ABS system you also have to go into the instruments menu and turn on the TPMS light.
Well thank you very much, will try that as soon as I get a chance to

Sent from my POS iPhone

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It works once I found it, thank you or the heads up.
Also did the needle staging celebration sweep

Sent from my POS iPhone 4S

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok update time;
I recoded the ABS show TPMS in the cluster, sad news is that I let out 20 psi and no change, let out 10 more and it works. Original tire pressure wad 40

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok update time;
I recoded the ABS show TPMS in the cluster, sad news is that I let out 20 psi and no change, let out 10 more and it works. Original tire pressure wad 40
Did you go for a nice drive after letting the air out? Using ABS TPMS usually requires driving several miles so that the ABS can measure tire rotation speed under a variety of conditions (like right and left turns as well as straight driving). Most people report that you have to drive a few miles before the ABS controller can accurately determine that there is a problem with one tire. Usually 5 to 10 psi low tire pressure is enough to sense, but it does take some time (distance traveled). Since there are no actual pressure sensors, the ABS has to measure the relative rotational speed of the wheels. Low tire pressure makes the tire's radius smaller which increases the tire rotation speed compared to a fully inflated tire.

Have Fun!

Don

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I drove about 10km(6miles) at 20 psi, drove about 2 km after getting down to 10 psi and then the light came on.
After refilling the tire the light stays on and will need to reset it with laptop as I don't have the funk button to turn it off.
I realized this is a good feature to have ,say your driving and the light comes on at 120kph?
You have some time before it's flat and puts you in a dangerous situation.

delta18

TDI
Hello all,

I had the TPMS activated now and today installed the TPMS reset button from Bold-Sport. following this guide

http://vw.ogdenlabs.com/mkv-jetta-information/tpms-installation-diy

The problem I have now is that the reset button doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know if there is any coding that needs to be done with VCDS to finish the install or is it just plug and play?

Thanks,

D18

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hello all,

I had the TPMS activated now and today installed the TPMS reset button from Bold-Sport. following this guide

Does anyone know if there is any coding that needs to be done with VCDS to finish the install or is it just plug and play?

Thanks,

D18
Looks like page 35 in the guide you linked ;)
I think there may be one or two other places in vcds that you need to check for TPS. but i could be wrong since I havent looked too deep into this when I had VCDS plugged in last.

Accha

TDI
2012 Golf bleu foncé as in fancy
Hello all,
Thanks,
D18
Hi D18,
What happened in the end with your import situation? I'm facing this exact issue [with my 2012 mk vi Golf] and its driven me around the bend. Dealers don't have a solution and neither VW Canada nor VWOA will help with something like a trade-in.
While it's nice to know others have had this problem, I'm getting ready to sell against my will.

beck1131

TDI
Hi delta18 and Accha,
Were either of you able to import your cars to the US? If so, could you please let me know how it worked out? I am facing the same situation with a 2009 Jetta TDI and neither local dealerships, nor registered importers in New York state have been willing to help. Thanks in advance.

Timmins11

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Hi delta18 and Accha,
Were either of you able to import your cars to the US? If so, could you please let me know how it worked out? I am facing the same situation with a 2009 Jetta TDI and neither local dealerships, nor registered importers in New York state have been willing to help. Thanks in advance.
Have you tried contacting www.canadaspeedometer.com in Ingersoll? They were very helpful to me when I exported my car from Canada to the US for the speedometer/odometer cluster change.

beck1131

TDI
Have you tried contacting www.canadaspeedometer.com in Ingersoll? They were very helpful to me when I exported my car from Canada to the US for the speedometer/odometer cluster change.
No, I haven't contacted them, but will try and see if anything comes of it. Thanks for the input, Timmins11. I am not too worried about the speedometer though. It's the lack of tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) in the Canadian VWs that is really the issue. As I understand, an OEM TPMS has to be installed in my car by VW to legally import it. I've called a number of dealerships and they are unwilling to help. I've also called a number of registered importers in the states and basically been told that their hands are tied as VW Canada is not willing to help with this issue.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
The wheel speed based systems are junk. I'd rather not have it. I set the cold tire pressure to 38psi and reset the TPMS. I then pile a bunch of junk in the car and set off on the highway. If it's summer, the tires sometimes heat up enough that the pressure rises significantly. The ABS system just sees that there is an absolute 10% difference in tire pressure based on whatever change in circumference. So I'm driving down the highway and the TPMS light goes off. Now I'm thinking is there really a flat? Hmm I don't feel any change in the handling, should I pull over and check or keep driving? So based on how pressing my schedule is I react accordingly and pull over needlessly to see that my tires are now around 42psi, or I keep driving with the TPMS light on guessing/hoping its just the stupid tire pressure rise again. I guess I keep it enabled because it might work someday and save me from a needless tire replacement instead of a simple flat repair.

I'd just retrofit the system with pressure sensors in the wheels if that's feasible. It sure works much better being able to actually see the pressure in each corner from the MFD. If you just need to get some form of TPMS working you can enable the ABS based via VCDS. You can reset the TPMS with VCDS, so you don't really even need to install the button.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/tpms-activation-reset-and-disable-coding-with-vcds-mk6-vw/

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
The wheel speed based systems are junk. I'd rather not have it. I set the cold tire pressure to 38psi and reset the TPMS. I then pile a bunch of junk in the car and set off on the highway. If it's summer, the tires sometimes heat up enough that the pressure rises significantly. The ABS system just sees that there is an absolute 10% difference in tire pressure based on whatever change in circumference. So I'm driving down the highway and the TPMS light goes off. Now I'm thinking is there really a flat? Hmm I don't feel any change in the handling, should I pull over and check or keep driving? So based on how pressing my schedule is I react accordingly and pull over needlessly to see that my tires are now around 42psi, or I keep driving with the TPMS light on guessing/hoping its just the stupid tire pressure rise again. I guess I keep it enabled because it might work someday and save me from a needless tire replacement instead of a simple flat repair.

I'd just retrofit the system with pressure sensors in the wheels if that's feasible. It sure works much better being able to actually see the pressure in each corner from the MFD. If you just need to get some form of TPMS working you can enable the ABS based via VCDS. You can reset the TPMS with VCDS, so you don't really even need to install the button.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/tpms-activation-reset-and-disable-coding-with-vcds-mk6-vw/
The light won't come on if the tires rise and fall at the same rate. If 1 tire is heating up fast enough to cause a drastic pressure rise, it will cause the light to come on. If yours is coming on and your pressures are the same, then there might be a problem with your ABS sensor.

Donald