Exhaust Flap TSB

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Drove it probably 50 miles today; no light!

No pipe banging, it was pretty easy to replace. If the light comes back on, I'll do the pressure sensor adaptation. It did a regen on the way to work this morning, so I think that's a good sign too.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Mine just failed for the second time at 67000 miles. It seems I average about 33000 per exhaust valve. Hopefully they will not give me any issues when i bring it in. VW really needs to develop a better replacement for this terribly designed part as it seems kind of silly to keep replacing it with the same part that will also break within a short time.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Mine just failed for the second time at 67000 miles. It seems I average about 33000 per exhaust valve. Hopefully they will not give me any issues when i bring it in. VW really needs to develop a better replacement for this terribly designed part as it seems kind of silly to keep replacing it with the same part that will also break within a short time.
Did VWoA take care of the cost of it?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Set DTCs that will block DPF regeneration, eventually. Most I have heard about stick open, but stuck shut will cause obvious problems.

It's very obvious road salt doesn't play nice, so maybe a regular hosing down with WD40 or PB Blaster.

Jason

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
what is the result of driving a car with a malfunctioning exhaust flap? could it take out a turbo?
malfunction in the exhaust flap will prevent NOX regens.

it is not involved in any way in DPF regens.

I put a couple thousand miles on mine with the errors, failed open and failed closed. locked up a quarter shut or so.

watched several DPF regens with the flap stuck and errors indicated.

of course, with the MIL lit (check engine light) you need to be aware that other errors which happen will not be noticed.

I do not see how an exhaust flap sticking could kill a turbo. but what do I know?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
malfunction in the exhaust flap will prevent NOX regens.

it is not involved in any way in DPF regens.

I put a couple thousand miles on mine with the errors, failed open and failed closed. locked up a quarter shut or so.

watched several DPF regens with the flap stuck and errors indicated.

of course, with the MIL lit (check engine light) you need to be aware that other errors which happen will not be noticed.

I do not see how an exhaust flap sticking could kill a turbo. but what do I know?
I'm not sure either but I can't imagine a flap, permanently stuck closed would be very good on the whole system. All the heat and exhaust gasses being impeded for prolonged amounts of time couldn't be good. Now, stuck open, that should be fine, it actually will show an increase in fuel economy so technically that issue IS GOOD for us. Lol That's what happened with mine, but I replaced because it was covered.

I'm looking forward to ditching ALL that equipment once I delete the DPF though...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
to be clear, when the flap will not move, it throws a stuck open error, when it moves a bit and sticks it throws a stuck closed error.

most of the time, this thing does not move very far. used to fine tune back pressure for low pressure EGR flow regulation. adaptation will move it far enough you can hear the engine choke up some, but this is at the limit.

so when it fails, the low pressure EGR will not work right,

when the EGR is not working, it will not regen the NOX cat, (which takes high temps, and more fuel, but is shorter than the DPF regen, and much more frequently.)

with the failure, mpg does go up, as does the NOX emissions.

I would think that if it was stuck very far closed, you would see other errors, but this would seem the exception.

again, the exhaust flap is not involved in the DPF regeneration.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4504162&postcount=12

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412579&highlight=076-906-051-B&page=3

I think you need the B suffix 076-906-051-B

might want to change both pressure sensors.

I would call a local vw dealer and ask them to look up by your VIN. (or ask one of the online places to do the same)

2/24/16 updateL Note that when my pressure sensor 2 went, I changed only the one bad sensor.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4990022&postcount=189

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4994445&postcount=193

Last edited:

Lyndon

TDI
2011 Jetta sedan
My 2011 mkvi jetta tdi just had it's Exhaust flap replaced today. about 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on for the first time at around 59000 miles. I used the ross tech vag com and found the code that said the flap was stuck open and another code that said flap stuck closed. I cleared the code and it came back on within a day.

The dealership charges $90 to diagnose the problem and if it is an emissions problem then the $90 will be waved if under 120k miles (extended warranty on emissions) which was the case. They replaced the flap and updated the computer on my car. Total cost for me, $0.00 .

Had I not had the warranty The cost would have been $389. VW has extended the warranty on a few cars for this problem and should cover the costs.
2 gaskets 1k0-253-115-AE
2 clips 1k0-253-725-b
1 EXH.FLAP 1k0-253-691-G

Last edited:

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4504162&postcount=12

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412579&highlight=076-906-051-B&page=3

I think you need the B suffix 076-906-051-B

might want to change both pressure sensors.

I would call a local vw dealer and ask them to look up by your VIN. (or ask one of the online places to do the same)
Thanks for the link, it was on sale for $75! I just installed it and ran the adaptation. No CEL for now...fingers crossed.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Can one wrap the whole setup in some kind of shield, to prevent salt spray from getting to it? Like aluminum sheet, or similar?

ahfunaki

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
Just a heads up, I received a letter in the mail for my 2013 Jetta TDI that says they have extended this to certain 2012-2013 2.0L TDI models.

I already replaced my flap out of my own pocket so now I'm going to try to get some money back...

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual

Yes, VW covered it no questions asked for under the extended warranty for the exhaust flap.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I posted that info a few posts earlier: VW excludes my car from the extended warranty coverage. No reason given.

And the emissions warranty is only for very few specific parts.
Update: apparently VW changed their mind. A week ago they sent me a form letter saying my car (2012 JSW TDI) is covered by the extended warranty.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Is a RC tune approved by VW? We just got the code, but may not be able to get the fix since we have a tune. I do have the form letter.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Is a RC tune approved by VW? We just got the code, but may not be able to get the fix since we have a tune. I do have the form letter.
No "tune" is approved by VW but I had my flap replaced without issue and I had RC1 when it happened. As, with all things, ESPECIALLY when dealing with VW dealerships, YMMV.

wbgnt

TDI
passat
2013 passat with 72xxx on it check light came on tonight with code p048c. Does anyone know will this be cover under the emissions warranty or will it be out of pocket for me. Nate

wbgnt

TDI
passat
brought the car in to the dealership after many lengthy conversation with the service advisors and got it covered under warranty. now they are saying that the glow plug module is bad. they wanted $209 to replace and install new one.

Last edited:

datdiguy

TDI
2015 'Cleaned up' Golf Sportwagon Comfortline TDI 6 Sp Manual
brought the car in to the dealership after many lengthy conversation with the service advisors and got it covered under warranty. now they are saying that the glow plug module is bad. they wanted $209 to replace and install new one.
I just had my 2013 Highline 6 sp manual Passat engine light with the P048C code and they replaced the entire exhaust flap under warranty with 44,000 km (27340 miles). The service tech said it was unusual to see this part replacement so early since typically it happens at around 70,000 km (43,500 miles). The repair was over $ 700 Cdn. He recommended taking long trips to heat up the system to last. Comments?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I just had my 2013 Highline 6 sp manual Passat engine light with the P048C code and they replaced the entire exhaust flap under warranty with 44,000 km (27340 miles). The service tech said it was unusual to see this part replacement so early since typically it happens at around 70,000 km (43,500 miles). The repair was over $ 700 Cdn. He recommended taking long trips to heat up the system to last. Comments?
Not point in following his "advice". The flap is so far downstream that you'll never heat it up considerably, and the original (old design) was failing because of a design flaw which resulted exposed mechanisms to corrode and seize. Don't sweat the flap.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sucks, mine went bad but I am past 120k... Guess I will use that VW card!

I know someone posted a 'how to' on this guy, but can't seem to find it. I know you have to calibrate it afterwards, and I plan to replace this myself. Hopefully I can find what needs to be done. I have vagcom

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Sucks, mine went bad but I am past 120k... Guess I will use that VW card!

I know someone posted a 'how to' on this guy, but can't seem to find it. I know you have to calibrate it afterwards, and I plan to replace this myself. Hopefully I can find what needs to be done. I have vagcom
Some how-to info is here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460911: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460911

Also, no calibration necessary. All you have to do (after replacing the flapper) is to clear the fault code and drive on. This valve either works or it doesn't, so no "adaptation" is required.

Have Fun!

Don

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I got MIL with a P047F code error recently. Now to get it corrected. Did you guys have to pay the dealer for reading the code even though getting the free warranty work?

Last edited: