LED DRL Xenon Conversion for 2013 Sportwagen

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hey,
Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on what to do if you've done this modification already. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Neosapian

TDI
2013 4dr DSG White
There is detailed information on this swap hanging around on the web. I looked into the oem xenon swap it because there weren't any tech package equipped cars available in my area at time of purchase. I used to have the instructions & materials bookmarked. I'll try to dig it up, but for the mean time search the Mk6 Golf forum as well as VW Vortex. If I remember correctly It is quite an expensive project if you want to do a proper OEM swap. Over $1k expensive to me :]

+ Swapping your fogs with mini D2S bi-xenon projectors & bulbs won't give you the same tech package look but might improve low beam output considerably. Just a suggestion. I'll try to get those links later if someone else doesn't get there before me...Im balls deep in an alternator swap on my A6 right now.:(

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
From LED to xenon, or from xenon to LED? Also, some halogen lamps have xenon as the inert gas in them, so xenon could mean either an arc (HID) lamp with xenon, or a halogen bulb with xenon. Or possibly an LED that 'looks like' xenon (whatever that might mean; blueish, probably...)

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hey,
Anyone done the Ed's setup on their mark VI? I want the option 4 light which has a chrome base and 15 led DRL's similar to the GTI headlight, with xenon/hid projectors for the headlights. I would like someone that has been running these to tell me how they like them, and if left the choice if they would do it again. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Dan Maldonado

seftonm

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I got the option 1 headlights for my Golf and am using Morimoto ballasts and bulbs. Been pretty happy with the conversion and it's a good value. Some people are having issues with the lenses peeling:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1922461&postcount=342

I am planning on putting Lamin-X on mine as an insurance policy against peeling. Still much cheaper than an OEM conversion. Only time will tell whether it's truly a good value or not.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
Hey,
Anyone done the Ed's setup on their mark VI? I want the option 4 light which has a chrome base and 15 led DRL's similar to the GTI headlight, with xenon/hid projectors for the headlights. I would like someone that has been running these to tell me how they like them, and if left the choice if they would do it again. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Dan Maldonado
I have the option 3. Black housing with the LED. The hid kit I used is the one that they supplies. I'm have it installed for about a little over a year, so far so good. The output quality is as good as the OEM output. You need a vag com cable to change a few settings so you don't have the bulb out errors. Golfmk6 site should have the detail about the settings. Everything else is pretty much plug and play. It's definitely worth it.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
I've done the OEM LED set and love them. Don't get Ed's cheap chinese lights, THEY SUCK. And, when you have problems with them, he won't help you either. They have light bleed and they peel. You can do OEM without LED for under $800 if you go used housings. Here is mine.

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I did the OEM LED swap into my 2010. Note that if you don't have the right highline module with the right software, you won't get LEDs to work as DRL. Mine only work as parking lights

If you need help, LMK as I'm in Jersey too

YMMV

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
I did the OEM LED swap into my 2010. Note that if you don't have the right highline module with the right software, you won't get LEDs to work as DRL. Mine only work as parking lights

If you need help, LMK as I'm in Jersey too

YMMV
Why wouldn't you get the proper CECM? I got one and the lights function perfectly with LED as DRL.

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
You can do OEM non-LED Xenons with the lowline CECM if you're not interested in upgrading your ECU. OEM Euro Golf R Xenon's in my 2013 Sportwagen. Little help from a modified Kufatec harness and some VAG COM coding got me to the final result below.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
This whole LED, Xenon thing has my head hurting. LED are in no way Xenon. Xenon is a gas that they put in halogen and HID bulbs. There are no gases in LED's.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
This whole LED, Xenon thing has my head hurting. LED are in no way Xenon. Xenon is a gas that they put in halogen and HID bulbs. There are no gases in LED's.
The reference to LED's is to the DRL's not the headlights. The premium/lighting packages have LED DRL's.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The reference to LED's is to the DRL's not the headlights. The premium/lighting packages have LED DRL's.
Yep, the title of the thread is not necessarily written in the most descriptive way... I think the OP is looking for complete headlight replacement units with high intensity discharge burners for low and high beam, and built-in LED daytime running lights.

They do make real LED headlights and headlight bulbs for high and low beam, but I'm not sure there are complete replacement units available for our Golfs/JSWs.