bew p0404, low power

RStevenson

TDI
2006 Golf GLS
I recently changed my connector pipes on both sides of my intercooler because the tabs were worn and they were leaking. This solved my p0299 code and limp mode and now it doesn't make a dump valve sound when shifting gears.

Right after I fixed that I got a p0404 code - and it happens every time immediately when I start the engine even after I just cleared it. I took out the EGR valve today and it was really dirty. I cleaned it all up and reinstalled it and still get the p0404 code and it seems to have no power on the low end before it hits boost when I drive it. The valve was open when I cleaned it and I made sure it closed by turning the key before I reinstalled it... didn't seem to change much. Then I decided to take it for a drive with the MAF unplugged which definitely made it drive better.

It did actually throw a p0101 code on one of my test drives. So my question is...boost leak? bad MAF? or bad EGR? If the p0404 code come back on 2 seconds after starting the engine maybe the EGR isn't in the correct position?

Last edited:

RStevenson

TDI
2006 Golf GLS
Well I think I solved it myself: I took the EGR valve back out, closed it, unplugged it and installed it back in the car. With the valve unplugged and staying closed. I've gained all my power back, the P0404 and p0101 code is gone. The only code I have is the one for the EGR wire. Looks like my EGR valve is just bad.

Can I expect any problems driving with the valve staying closed all the time other than taking longer to warm up?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I just went through a similar EGR problem. Only I had a light throttle miss. Tried two other EGRs. All functioned as they should when running the VCDS output test. One seemed to help with the miss and the other didn't help the miss at all. I gave up and just unplugged the EGR. You will have a CEL and codes for the EGR and probably the MAF.

From what I've read leaving it unplugged doesn't cause and harm.

dweisel