Towbar - battery power lead

Audiman

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, 2000, Silver
I've got a golf mk5 2004 TDI, I'm trying run a power supply from the battery to the rear quarter in order to fit a towbar - running the cable through the car.

I can't figure out how to thread the power cable through the car.
I've tried threading the cable through existing rubber grommets but can't seem to see the other end of the cable.

Is there a best route to take ?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I've got a golf mk5 2004 TDI, I'm trying run a power supply from the battery to the rear quarter in order to fit a towbar - running the cable through the car.
I can't figure out how to thread the power cable through the car.
I've tried threading the cable through existing rubber grommets but can't seem to see the other end of the cable.
Is there a best route to take ?

If your just hooking up a 4 pin connector, just piggyback off the tail lights and turn signals. No need to run power from the battery.
Are you running a trailer break?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If your just hooking up a 4 pin connector, just piggyback off the tail lights and turn signals. No need to run power from the battery.
Are you running a trailer break?
Bad idea. Mark 5's use something called PWM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation in the brake running light and stop light circuits so you can get 2 different brightnesses from a single filament. Hooking directly into the cars wiring may not work correctly or might light up the bad bulb warning light.

Better to get one of these: https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2004_Volkswagen_Jetta.htm and use the cars wiring to trigger the respective trailer lights. I tapped power off of the in trunk power receptacle which is Fused and switched off with the ignition so there is no chance of the converter module running down the battery.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Bad idea. Mark 5's use something called PWM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation in the brake running light and stop light circuits so you can get 2 different brightnesses from a single filament. Hooking directly into the cars wiring may not work correctly or might light up the bad bulb warning light.
Better to get one of these: https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2004_Volkswagen_Jetta.htm and use the cars wiring to trigger the respective trailer lights. I tapped power off of the in trunk power receptacle which is Fused and switched off with the ignition so there is no chance of the converter module running down the battery.

should not be a problem, just makes the trailers bulbs do the same, most trailers have the same type of bulbs anyways. Heck i cant thing of a car that does NOT use PWM. yea might trigger a bad bulb or fast blinker but it does not hurt anything.
But thats a nice relay set. thats the way i would elect to do it like you said. But then again $30 bucks!? thats like a pack of smokes, a 40, a dime bag, and a BJ from the local thot, right there!

Audiman

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, 2000, Silver
Ol'Rattler is absolutely right about the pulse width modulation.
So I ran a power cable from the front (via a 15A fuse) through the firewall and under the side plastic panels to the rear.
The best place I found is to run the cable through the rubber grommet (you'll have to remove the battery though)
I used a wire hanger and taped power cable to it - threaded it through the grommet !!!

Here are some pictures.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Besides, don't you have to run 13pin electrics? Or wil MOT let you run simpler wiring like US for your own car/trailer?

Jason

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I think the 13 pin electrics only apply if you were to wire for trailer brakes.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
So would that be 7pin then? Never heard of them using 4 pin in UK.

And I tapped into the power outlet in the hatch to run my powered trailer light converter. MkIV Golf

Jason