How long did your battery last?

wsktdi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
I'm coming up on 4 years now on my battery and wondering what other's experiences have been - how long should I expect my battery to last?
I'd rather replace it before it strands me, but is 4 years too soon to be worth it?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Mine gave up at a few months before 3-years. I was thinking maybe every 5-years based on previous experience, but it didn't happen. I had what I thought was an intercooler episode. It was bitter cold during the coldest days of the winter last year. I parked overnight in the garage after being parked out in the cold until pretty late at night and then driving a bit of a distance to get home. It really was terribly cold that night and there was also considerable moisture too. It even snowed a little, but not so much that the roads were bad. The next morning I managed to start the car with a jump and after some sputtering I drove the car to the dealer. When they checked the car they said my battery was bad.

From some other posts, it sounds like maybe the batteries aren't what they used to be. I've also ready they're not really maintenance free and can benefit from adding water. I've never checked mine. I've also read that modern cars simply draw too much charge with all of the electronics and that contributes to earlier battery failures. I honestly don't know if any of that is true. I simply read it on some posts on the forums.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Check the density. Add distilled water if needed. Recharge with the charger after that.

tom28

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I generally replace them every 5 years, on the money, without question.

But with that in mind, my parents have a 2001 Civic that has the same battery as it had the day it rolled off the factory floor.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Borrowed time.

I'm coming up on 4 years now on my battery and wondering what other's experiences have been - how long should I expect my battery to last?
I'd rather replace it before it strands me, but is 4 years too soon to be worth it?
Mine died a year and a half ago at about three and a half years. Be glad for every day you turn the key and the starter purrs. The best deal for a new one came from my dealer.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
mine lasted right at five years.

if there was a reliable way to measure and predict life, it would be built into the car.

too many variables.

so how long do you plan to drive the car,

what is the most expensive place you stop if the battery died there?

what would it cost you to get a ride, pick up battery, return to car, install battery, and return old one.

this could help you decide.

do you go into the mountains in the winter? if so, might want a new one. if around home, you could wait for a slow turn.

mine never turned slow, just quit.

i did note the indicated CCA on a meter I purchased decreased prior to the end of life. in order to really use this, you need a history on the specific battery you test.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This is discouraging. I replaced the battery in my '02 after 8 years because it seemed reluctant to start on a -15F morning in Detroit. My colleague used it for another two years. I expected similar life from my '12 Golf. Maybe not.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Wait until it fails and buy a new one. That is what they make booster cables and jump boxes. My Ford one lasted 10 yrs, my Jeep one lasted 9 yrs.

Donald

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
This will be my 4th winter on the original in my 2010 JSW. So far, so good. Although I carry jumper cables, these diesels require a hefty starting current and, at least with my previous TDI, I found it can be difficult to make an adequate connection to VW battery terminals for a jump start. That's why I also like to have a small jump starter in the vehicle which can connect to the battery and share it's charge for 15 minutes or so before attempting a start.

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
Mine lasted 5 years and 3 months from the day the car was built. I replaced it with an AGM battery which is supposed to last longer.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Just swapped mine out after 2.5 years and 120k miles in the 2011 Golf. It started acting up in the cold and I didn't wanna be stranded, so I swapped it with the battery from my MK2 since that car is on the shelf for the winter.

I put the dead battery on a trickle charger and will top it off with water and keep it charged over the winter to give it a try when it gets warm again. Gotta get my moneys worth somehow...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

fuzzybandito

TDI
2011 jsw 6mt
Mine died after 2.5 years/53k miles. Didn't think I was too harsh on it, but apparently it gave up the ghost last month. Checked the water levels and it seem okay. Just bought another factory battery since it was cheaper than going anywhere else (plus they had it in stock)

Maybe i got a weak battery from the factory, who knows.... ymmv

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
Up here in the Frozen North, I'd say 4 or 5 years ought to be just about the limit for a car battery. Mine will be starting its third winter, so I'm watching it like a hawk after this season.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
The battery in my 2010 started showing weakness in this fall of 2013. Three-ish years is all I ever got out of 94R's in my 1999.5 MK4 TDI. I don't drive this one or the previous one daily.

Last edited:

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
3.5 years. After the last "cold front" here in Austin, it just didn't have the cranking amps. Also the hot Texas summer temps of 100F+ usually kill batteries in a couple of years.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
OEM Battery is 12 years old with 170k miles on my ALH. Load tested last winter and it checks out 96% good. Still going strong. It spent 5 winters in VT with sub zero temperatures in college too. I don't think they make them like this anymore.

limbwalker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I had been driving a 4 year old Golf TDI with the original battery (129K miles) but the light was out, so I suspect it was due for replacement. Never had a problem starting though.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Batteries are like cats, they have a certain # of lives, kill em dead a few times and the clock is really ticking!

I work aids to navigation, we run batteries 6 years on solar chargers, if the system is properly maintained they are very reliable. This is off the coast of Maine mind you, its god damned unpleasant and dark in January. Heat, short trips, bitter cold, long periods of rest (ie over a week) and rough roads / fast acceleration and deceleration (imagine g forces acting on 50 lbs of lead plates who rely on precise alignment and insulation from each other in a bath of electrolyte to work properly)

All these things conspire to kill your battery. If you drive in conditions like this you will likely see a pathetic battery life.

Now if none of those things apply to you, you will likely see above average longevity.

Parting shot:

Take a battery of a given form factor (size) and chemistry (sealed led acid) and weigh it. if it is heavier it has more lead in it, lead is expensive, only reason to put more expensive heavy **** in a battery is that it makes a better battery, period.

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
3 years is about all I ever get out of a battery here in south Fl. From the heat perhaps???

Velo Jetta

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
2011 JSW, 55k miles. Just got the code 2101 Throttle Valve Actuator valve.

Took it in to my guru, they ran the test and said that my battery voltage was only 11.6v at fault occurrence and replaced the battery.. No more fault code and working fine.

Looks like only 2.5 years for me on my battery..

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
Mine was good for almost 3.5 years - it didn't actually die, and the car always started on the first crank, however, I could tell that the CCA had lessened once the cold weather arrived. It was cranking, but a lot slower. It was entering the fourth winter and I didn't want to be stuck.

The best part of the story is that after waiting 2 hours for the car at the dealer (yes, the dealer) the advisor came out and said their testing yielded a "code" that allowed them to replace the battery under warranty.

Sometimes things can work out.

Taylors

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon with 400+ K's, still with original battery--still great even at -27c the other day----just lucky I guess

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
Funny seeing this thread for the last few days... Had to put a charger on the battery this morning as all it could do was a few weak cranks and no more... got it started after the quick charge... let it run for a good 30-45 min along with the drive to work. 8 hours later... cant get a single crank out of it.

RIP OEM batt. 2 years, 4 months, 53k miles.

J

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
as do Arizona summers we get 2-4 years out of a battery (mine experience has been less than 3 years) and our previous 2011 JSW TDI lasted approx 2 years.