pano roof started leaking since last rain

bubbabubu

TDI
golfwagon 2010 tdi
Hello Fellow-TDIers!
I discovered to my dismay that my panoroof started leaking since rain yesterday. So I promptly called dealership who responded that as long as the car is within 80k they'll fix it, well as luck would have it, mine showed 87k thus he said either pay or "adios amigo". I'm really upset and thinking what to do next. I did some search and discovered that this is somewhat known issue, what I don't understand is how come it's not included under normal beyond warranty or even more, cause this is not that we abuse it somewhat like engine parts(wear and tear etc., well anyway, that's something to argue I guess. Now I am left with dilemma: to get parts and "possible" to fix myself because dealership as everyone knows are... ahem well let's not call a names anyway, so here comes question:
a) Should I simply order parts and try to fix it myself (if this requires me to dedicate entire weekend (I am really not good with screwdriver and pair of pliers but computer keyboard (work as computer software support engineer etc.) or
b) Go to someone like Atilla (who by the way does really good job of changing oil and regular car maintenance) and ask him to order parts and have him fix it?
Any other recommendation would greatly be appreciated. Sorry if this has been already discussed but at this point I am really desperate as Toronto is getting rains lately like there's no tomorrow :(
Cheers, Bubba.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
From what you have said you should not touch it.

Go to a good indy shop and have then look it over. Determine what the issue is before ordering parts...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Before you start ordering parts, often the problem is just clogged drain lines. From the wheel wells are drain lines to the roof (you will probably have to remove plastic covers to get there). You can actually pour a little water onto the corners of the roof and see if & where is comes out. Take some string trimmer line and push up from the bottom (the wheel well). Worst case is a drain line came unattached from the roof's drain fitting. This requires partial removal of the headliner. See pic below:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/PanoRoofDrains.pdf

Have Fun!

Don

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The problem on these (mine at least) is the tube leak where they attach to the connectors that slide on the "balls" on the drain on the roof.
These tubes are only "Tack" glued in two points and leak around the rest of the tube.
You can gain entrance by pullling the door post covers and then pulling the headliner down enough to get to those pesky tubes.
You can get them out enough to finish pulling the end connector off and then reglueing with GOOP glue.
Then push the connector back on the roof drain pan and close the headliner and put the door post covers and coat hangers etc back on.
Three of four drains on my 2009 JSW have leaked.
VW knows these are defective and has done nothing baout it.
The factory ones are not glued, but probably ultrasonic welded in two points.
You can try rodding out the lines, but will probably find the tubes leaking at the connector ends as described.
Search plano roof leaks for other posts.

bubbabubu

TDI
golfwagon 2010 tdi
Thanks to JSWTDI09, redbarron55 and vw_leadfoot for recommendations!
@jni3: I don't believe I got extended warranty, but I'll check.
By the way, when I stated that I am not good with screwdriver and pair of pliers, I didn't mean in direct sense, it's just seeing what other TDIers do with changing parts themselves, pretty cool, which I never tried.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I have a 300ZX with T-tops and and it is known in the Z world that spray silicone re-conditions the seals and prevents leaks.

If it is not the drain tubes, then this may be a solution that is very easy. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

bubbabubu

TDI
golfwagon 2010 tdi
@Tdiauston: spray silicone, do you have any particular name brand you recommend?
Google gives all kind names, which I'm hesitant to get. Thanks!

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
@Tdiauston: spray silicone, do you have any particular name brand you recommend?
Google gives all kind names, which I'm hesitant to get. Thanks!

Well, it is most likely the drain tubes but I was just mentioning the silicone in case. Over the years, I have just purchased what is available in the area as 100% silicone in spray form. I put it on my T-top rubber seals every year, spraying it on carefully and wiping with a rag. I've had my Z for 12 years and never had a problem with leaks.

VW-Audi also sells a specific paste type lubricant for brushing onto the rubber parts but it's bit pricey, intended to keep the roof from squeaking. Another type is sold for the metal glides for the same purpose: get it here: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=903

Check this technica bulletin for the overall process: http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Interior Noises/Noises from sunroof 2022733-2.pdf

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I had the same issue with a Tiguan. The tubes were separating from their connections. I used clear silicone to reseal them and never had an issue again.