DIY: HID projector complete Retrofit Kits

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Gotcha. So do the MH1's protrude through the back of the OE or MKV style Golf lights? I'm assuming they don't? At first I wanted to go all out with quad bi xenons, or at least some giant SC460 bi xenons from Japan, but the more I learn about it, the better idea it seems to keep the projector inside and the better mounted the better off. That being said, the MH1 kit looks to be the best bet for the DIY'er, or even a professional retro company such as yours. If you were building a set for your car (imagining you have a Golf here lol), would 50w ballasts and Philips bulbs be worth it?
Personally is I had a golf I would do the MH1 because I don't want to have to move things around in the engine bay. Or redesign a set of TSX projector with a bi-xenon shutter. I currently have FX35 and I love them but I have also driven a car with MH1 there's not a big difference. I don't really see the point of 50watt ballast and bulbs. Hope this clears things up for you.:D

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Personally is I had a golf I would do the MH1 because I don't want to have to move things around in the engine bay. Or redesign a set of TSX projector with a bi-xenon shutter. I currently have FX35 and I love them but I have also driven a car with MH1 there's not a big difference. I don't really see the point of 50watt ballast and bulbs. Hope this clears things up for you.:D
Perfectly clear, thanks for the advice!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Blair, in the pics here of your MKV style Golf light retro- what is that black piece in between the MH1 projector and that Occular shroud? It looks like an O-ring just to take up space and make things look a little better. I'm trying to add up all the pieces needed for a bolt in DIY retro. You just use the H7 relay harness for that light right? Would the Morimoto ballasts be able to be stuck underneath or even on the backside of the lights or do they have to be hidden in the fenders?

Last edited:

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Blair, in the pics here of your MKV style Golf light retro- what is that black piece in between the MH1 projector and that Occular shroud? It looks like an O-ring just to take up space and make things look a little better. I'm trying to add up all the pieces needed for a bolt in DIY retro. You just use the H7 relay harness for that light right? Would the Morimoto ballasts be able to be stuck underneath or even on the backside of the lights or do they have to be hidden in the fenders?
The black between the shroud and the projector is the MH1 projector lens holder. Currently in can only get them in black but I'm trying to source chrome ones. All you need for wiring in the H7 harness because the stock light system keeps the low beam and high beam on at the same time. :D

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Just to give you MK4 driver's some idea's of what you can do. this is what you can do your self with the Morimoto Mini H1 DIY kit with added E46-R extended shrouds.

1.5in pipe cap not included in the DIY kit.....can be sourced for any local hardware store.

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
We also sell
Morimto: HID bulbs (any bulb type) 4300k, 5000k, 6000k, ballast
Phillips: HID bulbs (d2S, H1)
Relay harness: Any bulb type
Projector Shrouds: Ocular, Apollo, E46-R extended, GTI-R, Gatling Gun, etc.

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition

That's not a bad fit at all.
This is just to give the bulb wires some room so you can adjust the lights. If the projectors mount right you shouldn't need any more them this added to the back. The FX-R need more because of the D2S bulb type and socket from the ballast.

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Have anything for an MKV?
I have not had the chance or had the request for them. I've have customers buy parts to make Mk5 retrofits. I keep asking for photos but I get nothing.
When looking at the

So sorry I currently don't have anything Mk5 related. :mad:

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
if i send you lights will you make them for me :D
Sure we can do this.......I have done this for many guys in the US. We just have to be careful with the way we ship so there are no extra charges.

Currently we are really busy and I have orders for lights that will keep me busy till the end of March. But send me an email and I'll add you to my contact list. Then I'll call you when I get ahead of my orders.

Thanks

xenon.design.creations@gmail.com
Email me your: name, handle on the TDIclub, and contact number, type of lights and your location

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
with the fx-r projectors, they have a city light correct?
Not sure what you mean by City light and the FX-R projector. The FX-R are a bi-xenon projector meaning low and high beam with the use of a moving internal shield. By city light do you mean jetta E-code headlights?

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
So you include everything to do the retrofit except tools in your kits? Do the custom shrouds you offer make the kits so that no cuts are made? Do you have instructions available online?

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
So you include everything to do the retrofit except tools in your kits? Do the custom shrouds you offer make the kits so that no cuts are made? Do you have instructions available online?

The FX-R adapters require trimming of the headlight reflector, you need to cut a 4.25in hole. A far as instruction go it's really easy. It is very time consuming, allow 12hrs from start to finish if you work on them straight but make sure to allow the paint to fully cure be fore handling the reflector.

Open headlight using heat gun or Oven
Remove reflector from housing.
Cut 4.25in hole into center of reflector.
Place adapter into hole and bolt FX-R to the mount.
Snap reflector back into head light to aim the mount.
Mount heads on car to aim the horizontal and vertical alignment.
Use hot gun to hold the mount in position
take lights off car and epoxy the adapter in place
Sand and paint
Tap into the high beam wiring for the projector bi-xenon function
Put the light back together
Mount them on your car.

I have not used the FX-R mount yet in the Mk4 golf lights, I prefer to use the Morimoto H1 bi-xenon projectors because they don't stick out the back as much as the FX-R's. The FX-R's make for a very tight fit with the battery in the TDI's okay for the gasser's but to tight for my liking.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Blair,

Sent you an Email.

Cheers

Ry

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Thoughts on the install on MKVI housings?
I'm currently talking to some one that has a mk6 but the only problem is that the new headlights melting point for the lens adhesive is higher then the melting point on the plastic housing. This means that the headlights will have to be cut open, which requires a lot more labour and time to do the retrofitting. Most people wouldn't want to pay for the added cost to have this done.

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Do these hid units you sell have issues running on the canbus system with drl's?

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Do these hid units you sell have issues running on the canbus system with drl's?

There are no issues running the DRL's with these, if they are not disabled and you have a golf they don't affect the projectors at all. If you have a Mk4 Jetta and DRL's are not disabled then you will have the projectors on all the time. There are no warning lights on with any of my wiring harness, if wired to the headlight correctly.

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Bump to the top....................six DIY kits sold..........I should have more in stock be weeks end.