Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Have not tried Euro Amsoil but im sure its good stuff. (y)
at least the majority on here are using the Euro correct spec oil.? i have stubled across people on other forums using North American oil on there TDI dah..? that's ok there the same ones complaning about there tdi"s DPF emmission filter pluging up all the time. too getting a little off track here. but i have used 5w30 Mobile 1 esp 507.00 spec oil. tried it because i got a great deal on it. engine ran fine on it. im curently running 5w30 TopTeck Liqui Moly 507..00 spec its Good Stuff but hard to get a deal on it though.?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Have not tried Euro Amsoil but im sure its good stuff. (y)
at least the majority on here are using the Euro correct spec oil.? i have stubled across people on other forums using North American oil on there TDI dah..? that's ok there the same ones complaning about there tdi"s DPF emmission filter pluging up all the time. too getting a little off track here. but i have used 5w30 Mobile 1 esp 507.00 spec oil. tried it because i got a great deal on it. engine ran fine on it. im curently running 5w30 TopTeck Liqui Moly 507..00 spec its Good Stuff but hard to get a deal on it though.?

The issue with using API oils in a European cars is the long drain interval recommended by the manufacturer, not the oil itself. You would know that if you bothered to read what you just posted.

“There is in general a longer drain associated with the higher tier oils in the European system,” remarks the oil industry source, “so the thought process is if we don’t allow the longer drain in North America, consumers should be able to get by with API spec oils – but it leaves manufacturers open to the type of problem Mercedes-Benz recently experienced.”
I use API oils in my TDI, Cruze CTD and Canyon 2.8 Duramax and EXCEED to recommended interval. API CJ-4 oil is fortified and lasts longer than 507 or Dexos 2. Guess what, my DPFs haven’t plugged up either. They will eventually though, that’s what happens to filters. They get loaded and need to be replaced, it’s a maintenance item regardless of what you may think.

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI 6MT
I've an Amsoil-related question someone it this thread might know the answer to:

2015 CR Sportwagen, at 116,000 miles my DPF finally croaked, and rather than pay for an expensive replacement, I got a Rawtek catted DP, downloaded a new tune from Malone and called it a day.

Seeing how I don't have a DPF or EGR anymore, so the low SAPS requirements from the oil are gone (as is the VW 507 spec), I was thinking of going the Amsoil route (it's been working great in my bikes), so I took a look on their website and it seemed to me the SS Max-Duty 5w-30 DHD would be the best choice, but then looking around this forum I see no mention of it.

Perhaps most people here have AHL & BEW TDIs, or is the DHD not really suitable for my CR TDI for some reason?

Also does anyone have an opinion on the M Delvac1 Adv Synth 5w-30 and how would that fare in my car? The very limited specs Mobil lets me see make it look very similar to Amsoil's DHD

I'd like to find the best level of protection I could give this engine long term, while also allowing me to keep the 10k miles OCI

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I've an Amsoil-related question someone it this thread might know the answer to:

2015 CR Sportwagen, at 116,000 miles my DPF finally croaked, and rather than pay for an expensive replacement, I got a Rawtek catted DP, downloaded a new tune from Malone and called it a day.

Seeing how I don't have a DPF or EGR anymore, so the low SAPS requirements from the oil are gone (as is the VW 507 spec), I was thinking of going the Amsoil route (it's been working great in my bikes), so I took a look on their website and it seemed to me the SS Max-Duty 5w-30 DHD would be the best choice, but then looking around this forum I see no mention of it.

Perhaps most people here have AHL & BEW TDIs, or is the DHD not really suitable for my CR TDI for some reason?

Also does anyone have an opinion on the M Delvac1 Adv Synth 5w-30 and how would that fare in my car? The very limited specs Mobil lets me see make it look very similar to Amsoil's DHD

I'd like to find the best level of protection I could give this engine long term, while also allowing me to keep the 10k miles OCI
You can use any diesel oil in it, generally the CK-4 or CJ-4 oils have higher additive levels and will give better performance than 507. If you don’t drive it hard and have normal oil temps a 5w30 or even 10w30 would be fine. If you do drive it hard or live somewhere where it gets hot a 5w40 or 15w40 would be even better. Generally speaking, once the influence of EGR is removed and with good quality fuel most CJ and CK oils can easily be pushed to 15k miles or beyond, however I wouldn’t do it without expensive oil analysis that measures TAN and oxidation. Diesel oils are marginal at 15k miles and it’s not worth pushing past that interval IMO.

DHD or any of the Amsoil SS line will be overkill as they are the 25k/1 year extended drain oils. If you want to keep it at 10-15k interval the Amsoil ADN in 10w30 would be more than sufficient for a conservative interval and cost effective as well. If you wanted to use an oil with even higher additive levels the Amsoil Series 3000 CI-4 5w30 HDQ is another 25k option.

I don’t think you’re supposed to ask questions about Mobil products in this thread, however I’ll answer them. Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 and Mobil TDT 5w40 are light 40 weights and great to 10-15k miles. Delvac ESP 5w30 is an SN oil and I would not use it because of lower phosphorus level to meet the spec. You can also try Mobil Delvac Extreme in 10w30.

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI 6MT
You can use any diesel oil in it, generally the CK-4 or CJ-4 oils have higher additive levels and will give better performance than 507. If you don’t drive it hard and have normal oil temps a 5w30 or even 10w30 would be fine. If you do drive it hard or live somewhere where it gets hot a 5w40 or 15w40 would be even better. Generally speaking, once the influence of EGR is removed and with good quality fuel most CJ and CK oils can easily be pushed to 15k miles or beyond, however I wouldn’t do it without expensive oil analysis that measures TAN and oxidation. Diesel oils are marginal at 15k miles and it’s not worth pushing past that interval IMO.

DHD or any of the Amsoil SS line will be overkill as they are the 25k/1 year extended drain oils. If you want to keep it at 10-15k interval the Amsoil ADN in 10w30 would be more than sufficient for a conservative interval and cost effective as well. If you wanted to use an oil with even higher additive levels the Amsoil Series 3000 CI-4 5w30 HDQ is another 25k option.
My wording wasn't great, sorry. My intention is to use the best possible oil that can make this engine last until the body has rusted into the ground.
I run this car all year long (from -30°F winters to 100+° summers) 15k+ miles /year, sometimes with a few hundred lbs of load in the back, mostly highway @80-100mph for hours, with oil temps sitting at 110+°C (230°F) and constant heavy boost, which is why the "any diesel oil" won't work for me, and also why the "overkill" Amsoil SS seems like the perfect choice; even if I slip towards 15k miles on this oil, it will likely still be ok.

I also don't want to experiment with viscosities, when there seems to be a decent spread of 5w-30 oils available (it was always kinda funny to me how people are willing to endlessly debate and/or fear going away from the VW 50x specs, but putting 15w-40 oil in an engine requiring 5w-30 never gave anyone much pause.. 😁 )

Do you think the Series 3000 5w30 HDDQ has better specs than the SS DHD? In its description it says " For a serious upgrade, try Signature Series Max-Duty 5W-30", it also says on Ams' website it's been discontinued..

I don’t think you’re supposed to ask questions about Mobil products in this thread, however I’ll answer them. Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 and Mobil TDT 5w40 are light 40 weights and great to 10-15k miles. Delvac ESP 5w30 is an SN oil and I would not use it because of lower phosphorus level to meet the spec. You can also try Mobil Delvac Extreme in 10w30.
I apologize for using the "M"-word in this thread, seemed convenient rather than ask the same question in a completely different post without the "Amsoil" part, and I was also hoping for some direct comparo to the SS Ams DHD from someone knowledgeable. I take it that bringing up Amsoil in a hypothetical Mobil thread would also be frowned upon, so maybe I gotta look for the "Amsoil to Mobil comparisons" thread :)

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
My wording wasn't great, sorry. My intention is to use the best possible oil that can make this engine last until the body has rusted into the ground.
I run this car all year long (from -30°F winters to 100+° summers) 15k+ miles /year, sometimes with a few hundred lbs of load in the back, mostly highway @80-100mph for hours, with oil temps sitting at 110+°C (230°F) and constant heavy boost, which is why the "any diesel oil" won't work for me, and also why the "overkill" Amsoil SS seems like the perfect choice; even if I slip towards 15k miles on this oil, it will likely still be ok.

I also don't want to experiment with viscosities, when there seems to be a decent spread of 5w-30 oils available (it was always kinda funny to me how people are willing to endlessly debate and/or fear going away from the VW 50x specs, but putting 15w-40 oil in an engine requiring 5w-30 never gave anyone much pause.. 😁 )

Do you think the Series 3000 5w30 HDDQ has better specs than the SS DHD? In its description it says " For a serious upgrade, try Signature Series Max-Duty 5W-30", it also says on Ams' website it's been discontinued..

I apologize for using the "M"-word in this thread, seemed convenient rather than ask the same question in a completely different post without the "Amsoil" part, and I was also hoping for some direct comparo to the SS Ams DHD from someone knowledgeable. I take it that bringing up Amsoil in a hypothetical Mobil thread would also be frowned upon, so maybe I gotta look for the "Amsoil to Mobil comparisons" thread :)
I like Mobil’s products. Mobil TDT 5w40 gave me the lowest wear metals of anything else I’ve tried. I have a PC membership and buy some Amsoil products, like their SS LV ATF and Oil Analyzer test kits but I see no reason to buy their engine oils for a normal 15k interval.

VW 507 is a ACEA C3 hybrid specification which is why it’s a 5w30. The viscosity and HTHS are at the minimum levels to maximize fuel economy for a passenger car. 5w30 is not suitable for your high oil temps or hard use. VW did not design this engine or it’s recommended viscosity based on hard use like you describe. -30F is also too cold for a 10w or 15w, so I’d only use a 5w or 0w winter rating if it it gets that cold where you operate.

The Series 3000 5w30 is an old school formula with high calcium and elevated ZDDP with premium base oils. Calcium is the best detergent there is, but it’s use has been reduced since it was found to have a negative impact on DPFs and has been supplanted by organic detergents and magnesium which is a selective detergent. Since it’s being discontinued it’s a moot point anyway.

I’ve run 10w30 and 5w40 CJ-4 in a CR TDI with DPF. Lots of internet experts told me “yer DPF will get plugged” yet it never has. Oil pressure is higher but wear metals are also lower than VW 507 5w30. I’ve also run 10w40 CJ-4 in GM diesels requiring 5w30 Dexos 2 with excellent results. DPFs still healthy as well.

You should consider a High SAPS 0w40 or 5w40 with your applications and duty cycle. I don’t think Amsoil SS DHD is your best option and their are other high performance oils which would be more suitable for your operating regiment.

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI 6MT
I like Mobil’s products. Mobil TDT 5w40 gave me the lowest wear metals of anything else I’ve tried. I have a PC membership and buy some Amsoil products, like their SS LV ATF and Oil Analyzer test kits but I see no reason to buy their engine oils for a normal 15k interval.

VW 507 is a ACEA C3 hybrid specification which is why it’s a 5w30. The viscosity and HTHS are at the minimum levels to maximize fuel economy for a passenger car. 5w30 is not suitable for your high oil temps or hard use. VW did not design this engine or it’s recommended viscosity based on hard use like you describe. -30F is also too cold for a 10w or 15w, so I’d only use a 5w or 0w winter rating if it it gets that cold where you operate.

The Series 3000 5w30 is an old school formula with high calcium and elevated ZDDP with premium base oils. Calcium is the best detergent there is, but it’s use has been reduced since it was found to have a negative impact on DPFs and has been supplanted by organic detergents and magnesium which is a selective detergent. Since it’s being discontinued it’s a moot point anyway.

I’ve run 10w30 and 5w40 CJ-4 in a CR TDI with DPF. Lots of internet experts told me “yer DPF will get plugged” yet it never has. Oil pressure is higher but wear metals are also lower than VW 507 5w30. I’ve also run 10w40 CJ-4 in GM diesels requiring 5w30 Dexos 2 with excellent results. DPFs still healthy as well.

You should consider a High SAPS 0w40 or 5w40 with your applications and duty cycle. I don’t think Amsoil SS DHD is your best option and their are other high performance oils which would be more suitable for your operating regiment.
Thanks for the informed reply!

Some oil guy had told me long ago something along the lines of "too much of a spread between the winter and summer ratings on an oil are not great for its longevity", something to do with the VI package having to meet both ratings; I don't know if he was right, or if it still rings true today.

If you say the 30 oil summer rating VW requires is just a compromise for fuel economy and/or emissions, I guess I could try a 5w-40 oil and compare the UOA after about 10k. Even though I do drive my car in IL/WI/MN/MI winters, I drive very gentle when cold and obviously don't get in boost until well-warmed up, so I'm pretty sure I don't need 0w oil, but maybe the 40 would be justified for the hard and lengthy highway runs.

I don't know of any current oils that are high SAPS, I thought emissions regs have long obsoleted them, like they did Series3000 HDDQ.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the informed reply!

Some oil guy had told me long ago something along the lines of "too much of a spread between the winter and summer ratings on an oil are not great for its longevity", something to do with the VI package having to meet both ratings; I don't know if he was right, or if it still rings true today.

If you say the 30 oil summer rating VW requires is just a compromise for fuel economy and/or emissions, I guess I could try a 5w-40 oil and compare the UOA after about 10k. Even though I do drive my car in IL/WI/MN/MI winters, I drive very gentle when cold and obviously don't get in boost until well-warmed up, so I'm pretty sure I don't need 0w oil, but maybe the 40 would be justified for the hard and lengthy highway runs.

I don't know of any current oils that are high SAPS, I thought emissions regs have long obsoleted them, like they did Series3000 HDDQ.
A quality 5w40 or 0w40 won’t shear down unless you have an engine known to be especially hard on oils like the 6.0 or 7.3 Powerstroke for example.

Yes they still make full SAPS oils for people like you. These are specialty or ACEA A3/B4. High performance with strong additive package and HTHS.

Driven DP40 5w40 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...TwMYKFijsVekL1cS7okNcoemGRKdSOHxoCaEQQAvD_BwE

Rowe Hitech Synth RS 0w40 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rowe-parts/0w-40-sae-rowe-oil-5-ltr/20020-538-03~row/

Ravenol SSL https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-motor-oil-0w-40-ssl-5l.html

Ravenol VSI https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1A1539-SAE-5W-40-Motor/dp/B00GTPD606

Ravenol VST https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-motor-oil-vst-5w-40-5l.html

Redline 5w40 and 0w40

There are more out there too. These above are examples.

Cheers!

KC-TDI-01

TDI
2001 Beetle Manual TDI
I've never used Amsoil and don't know much about it. My Father-on-law absolvely swears by it. I have a 2001 Beetle TDI with close to 200k miles. I'd like to change my tranny oil, anything out there better than Autozone 90w? Looking for Amsiol gear oil.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I have a 2001 Beetle TDI with close to 200k miles. I'd like to change my tranny oil, anything out there better than Autozone 90w? Looking for Amsiol gear oil.
I know the on-site search function sucks, but a Google search with site:forums.tdiclub.com (or even just tdiclub) tossed in along with whatever you’re looking for usually turns up pretty good results. 😉

This topic has been brought up twice recently, see below.

roadogg22

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I have a 2015 Passat TDI SEL with 71,000 miles on it. I am going to be doing an oil change myself very shortly since the VW dealership charges around $150 for an oil change. I live in San Diego and drive roughly 10-15K a year. I am a AMSOIL fan, since I use in in all my motorcycles. Which AMSOIL and what filter should I use? Plus i also want to change my fuel filter, any suggestions on which fuel filter to use as well. I what to lower my intervals for oil changes from 10K to around 5K. I get nervous letting oil changes go to 10K. I am a big believer in keeping your oil clean.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2015 Passat TDI SEL with 71,000 miles on it. I am going to be doing an oil change myself very shortly since the VW dealership charges around $150 for an oil change. I live in San Diego and drive roughly 10-15K a year. I am a AMSOIL fan, since I use in in all my motorcycles. Which AMSOIL and what filter should I use? Plus i also want to change my fuel filter, any suggestions on which fuel filter to use as well. I what to lower my intervals for oil changes from 10K to around 5K. I get nervous letting oil changes go to 10K. I am a big believer in keeping your oil clean.
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 its 507 rated oil sold at NAPA. There is no reason to buy Amsoil for a TDI and change it every 5k miles.

Bosch premium oil filters have the highest advertised rated efficiency of any cellulose filter made. They are made in China. I am not aware of any synthetic media oil filters made for TDIs.

My Favorite OEM filters, fuel and otherwise are Mahle, they are all still made in Austria and high quality.

roadogg22

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 its 507 rated oil sold at NAPA. There is no reason to buy Amsoil for a TDI and change it every 5k miles.

Bosch premium oil filters have the highest advertised rated efficiency of any cellulose filter made. They are made in China. I am not aware of any synthetic media oil filters made for TDIs.

My Favorite OEM filters, fuel and otherwise are Mahle, they are all still made in Austria and high quality.
If I were to keep the interval at 10K, what AMSOIL would you recommend? Where do you buy Mahle filters?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
If I were to keep the interval at 10K, what AMSOIL would you recommend? Where do you buy Mahle filters?
I wouldn’t recommend Amsoil. The premium engine oil market is flush with expensive options which all have the same performance in 507 specification. VW 507 has limitations because most offerings rely on ashless additives which sacrifice performance. If you want better performance I’d recommend a CK-4 oil like Amsoil HD 10w30 or 5w30 diesel.

The best choice if you want to stick with VW 507 is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. I have never seen a bad used oil analysis with it. ESP is a solid product and it’s readily available.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I'm so very exhausted looking up info on this.. Can someone please tell me if
AMSOIL 5W-30 LS 100% Synthetic European Motor Oil
is a ok substitute vs castrol at the dealer? Says 50400/50700.
Everything is still stock.
I recall in the past this Amsoil oil was certified as a VW 507. I do not see why it would not be suitable technically to be used in your 2015 Passat TDI. Of course, as stated above, you have other suitable and less expensive VW 507 oils available through Autozone and O'Reilly (as example).