Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
The fillers on gassers designed to burn unleaded were intentionally designed with a narrow opening to prevent motorists from filling up with leaded gas back when that was an option. They made the nozzle of the unleaded pumps narrower than the leaded.

In a pinch I was able to fuel up with a high flow rate commercial diesel nozzle but I wouldn't recommend doing that routinely. Man, you just crack it open a bit and it's flowing a gallon every couple of seconds!

TDIjason

one day I caught myself almost putting diesel in the Supra!! yikes that would have been expensive.

Have had guys come out waving hands as I pumped fuel in the Golf
Once I played dumb and freaked out the attendant really good.

ProfBooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, red
I've never really had anyone tell me I'm using the "wrong" fuel yet, just the usual causual conversation about mileage, etc. My friend Shari who also drives a TDI on the other hand, gets that from time-to-time, maybe because she's a woman the attendants assume she doesn't know what she's doing or whatever. So one night we're coming back from a movie and she stops to fill up at a SuperAmerica station with a very surly night manager, the guy's always rude. After barking at her over the intercom that the pump is pre-pay or credit only after 10:00PM she tries to use her credit card and can't get it to go. The guy comes stomping out, grabs the credit card from her hand, shoves it in, pushes some obscure combination of buttons to make it work and acts like it's her fault she didn't know this trick. It was a combo gas/diesel island so when she grabs the diesel nozzle he gives her a condescending, "that's diesel ma'am". To which she responds, "I'm not that F'n stupid it's a diesel car! Take your rude @ss back into your little store and shut your mouth!" He gives her this indignant look and slinks back into the store while the rest of us are in the car laughing uncontrollably at her tirade. God it was funny!

atomicalex

TDI
die neue 2002 GLS Reflex Silver
This weekend, I got to pump my first tankful. Firstly, I must comment that you guys who think diesel smells bad, *** are you talking about? It smells fine.

Anyway, Steve went in to pay since of course it wasn't a CC pump and got "you know that's diesel, right?" and pointed at the car replied "what do you think the 'D' is for?" "Oh, really?"

We laughed pretty hard about that one.

Dizel Mork

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999, midnight blue
A little while ago, i was going to an appointment with a friend and we were late, therefore in a big rush. We needed fuel, we find the one station that has one diesel pump, but as we pull up a woman in a mazda pulls up on the other side and takes the diesel first. My friend was the one going to pump but comes back and asks me is mazda ever made diesel cars, i say i dont think so but for sure that new protege isn't diesel.
We tell the woman of her error (she had already 2-3$ in) We take over the pump, pay and leave. Don't know if anything happened to her car though.

Luis

Veteran Member
In my country there are no self-service stations at all, PEMEX has always wanted to give us Full Service, so lots of stories from me... Besides, TDI's are not very common in México.

Typical Highway situation: I pull into a big highway station, normally the gas bay and the diesel bay are separated as in big Flying J's in the US. Well, the thing is NOBODY notices me and my Beetle all parked at the pump and waiting for the guy to come and sell us the fuel.... I walk over to the counter, ask the guy to please come and fill my car and have to convince him my yellow sportscar is DIESEL.

Typical City situation: I park at the diesel pump and the garbage truck/city bus driver on the other side gets all excited about a "bocho", mexican nickname for the old-beetle, filling up the same fuel as his smelly/dirty truck.

The MPG questions are also very common.

In México City you have to take your car for emissions verification every 6 months. I use the Truck Lanes, and it is very funny how all the verificenter people look at you thinking "this guy is loosing an hour by being in the wrong lane".

Once, I had an 18 wheel rig concede me the honor of going in front of him while meeting at the same time trying to reach the only available pump at a highway station...felt pretty good. He only waited about 3 minutes...I would have waited 15.....

So long!
Luis

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Originally posted by atomicalex:
This weekend, I got to pump my first tankful. Firstly, I must comment that you guys who think diesel smells bad, *** are you talking about? It smells fine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sigh... why couldn't I find a woman like you?

and pointed at the car replied "what do you think the 'D' is for?" "Oh, really?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uhh, actually Alex.. the 'D' stands for 'Direct'... as in "Turbocharged Direct Injected." The fact that it's a Diesel isn't displayed on the current crop of VWs.

Anyways, I wish I had a filling station story to tell. I almost always fill up at the same Amoco station that has a Powerblend pump away from the gas islands, and they know me there.

-Mel

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
I pump at the same place everytime and only once did someone ask me about the mpg--big deal.

I read profboty's story allowed to my wife and she was rolling. That was the best so far....

Jim

Nalgene

I read one and couldn't stop! Here are some clips of my favorites; Car 54, better luck next time!

KERMA
You gotta pick up the phone to get them to turn on the pump. The gal on the other end sometimes says "You know that's diesel fuel, hon?"

I feel like saying " Golly Gee Willikers, is that why all the Semis are here?"

Ksharrington
I was having a discussion with the wife about the benefits of silence when I let the fuel nozzle overflow and spray onto my clothes. I reaked of diesel fuel and was just about to walk through airport security. On the shuttle to the terminal, everyone in the bus was telling the driver that his bus was leaking diesel. (I changed pants in the bathroom before checking in.)

I could just see some bomb-sniffing german shepherd chewing at my crotch as a terminal full of people starting smacking me with laptops.

car 54
I ALWAYS get into conversations at the diesel pump! the most recent was with a 20-somthing chick driving a jacked up powerstroke! She was hot, and stated "I always come here, its cheapest and 45 cetane" !! I tried to get her number, but no luck.

SteveS
Just say, "These German cars need diesel about once a month to run properly."

And My Favorite

RiceEater
Years ago when one of my buddies purchased one of the first Dodge Cummins pick up trucks we fell into a routine where he starts up his truck and I yell that he needs a valve adjustment and he yells back "I can't hear you. I need to get my valves adjusted."

Happy Motoring everybody!

blue909

Veteran Member
What a great thread!

My first fill-up shortly after buying my TDI Golf near Beaumont, Texas and driving back home to L.A. resulted in a late night "that's a diesel?!" conversation with a trucker... here's an excerpt from the first thread I posted at Fred's as a TDI owner:

"My 1,700 mile drive reinforced a few well-known TDI truisms:

Folks -are- often amazed/alarmed when you pull up to a diesel pump and will stop and ask all about your car when they learn that it really -does- run on the stuff. This happened to me during my very first fill-up, when I was approached by a friendly trucker in West Texas late Wednesday night. He asked all about the engine and performance as his Kennelworth idled nearby. As you might guess, I was happy to answer his questions and spread the gospel. Despite all the bug splatter, the silver Golf looked beautiful under the bright station lights."

The entire thread about my wonderful road trip is here if you want to read it: http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004490&p=

Since then I've had a few more surprised looks and questions when filling up with EC1 at the local ARCO station. Folks are surprised and interested when they notice...

I noticed that some diesel pumps don't auto shut off when full and this has twice caused overflows resulting in diesel on my favorite nubuck Rockports (now I never trust the auto shut off and keep my hand on the nozzle the whole time). Happily, my shoes don't smell like diesel though (I waterproofed them right after purchase) since a little soap and water got the smell right out. I agree with those above who don't find the smell of diesel any more objectionable than that of gasoline... different... .yes. Worse.... no.

Long live our TDIs!

blue909

[ July 09, 2002, 23:24: Message edited by: blue909 ]

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by IndyJetta99:
I thought all gassers had a smaller hole and wouldn't accept a diesel nozzle, regardless of manufacturer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">High volume pumps, like the ones in the truck lane at truck stops, do have a very large nozzle. It'll barely fit into a TDI.

But low volume diesel pumps, like at your average gas station, have the exact same nozzle as gas pumps. Some people are in such a hurry that they don't pay attention to the GREEN (or the occational yellow) pump and pump handle.

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
I've been going to the same Sunoco truck stop for over 15 years. It got to the point, there would be a line, people waiting for a person to pump, I cruise over to the diesel pumps, one row over, and the guys now will turn the pump on inside for me to let me pump and vent. Keep in mind, NJ your not allowed to pump, plus I will get finished before a gasser in line would be finished themselves.
My old Dodge dually 2000 had aux tanks under, i had over 100 gallons to fill, that I did with the mommoth nozzle.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
In my travels around I have seen both the small gasser size and the old leaded fuel size. I thought they were trying to prevent gassers from usinging fuel when I saw the old leaded fuel sized nozzles. I sure hate it when I accidently get the big rig nozzle. I'm afraid it will pull my fender off if I was to rest it on my rubber flap.

Man has this been a day or two, makes a guy feel like an old timer. But wait, I am. ;>)

Last edited:

msauve

Veteran Member
low volume diesel pumps, like at your average gas station, have the exact same nozzle as gas pumps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe in east Texas, but not in Michigan or any of the many states I've filled up in.

The diesel nozzles are the same size as the old regular (leaded) gasoline nozzles. The nozzles for unleaded gas are smaller. This was originally instituted to prevent people from putting less expensive leaded gasoline into their unleaded vehicles because it would kill the catalytic converter.

Oto

Unfortunately this one didn't happen at a gas pump, but, it coulda...

Pulled up to a light, had windows down, a guy on a bike, with a few other people said

"hey guy, is that a diesel?"
"yup"

"thats pretty quiet"
"Yup"

"It doesn't even smoke"
"Yup"

"Is it turbo charged?"
"yup"

"does it have enough power?"
"plenty enough for me..."mumble something bout the poundfeet of torque and hp to him, not sure if he cared"

I was gonna tell him I get 43MPG and thats considered low
, but the light turned green and we both had to go...

judh

TDI
Jetta, 2k2, Galactic Blue
ya, pretty much that proves the misconception about Diesels pervading america today, and its rediculous

brakes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (sold), 2005 Passat TDI
the truck nozzle is 1", most nozzles at the truck island are a standard called 7H... its a necessity when you get 100's of gallons of fuel at once...
i just got my diesel, and was filling up for the second time, half way through the pumping, the attendant came over with a frantic look in his eye, he said, you know that is diesel, right? I turned real fast and said, "WHAT??!@?#! DIESEL OH NO!!!" and shut the pump off real fast.. "WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO NOW!@#!@#" i looked scared he, looked terrified, i started laffing and told him yes i knew what i was doing, he asked the usual questions afterwards,

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by brakes:
i just got my diesel, and was filling up for the second time, half way through the pumping, the attendant came over with a frantic look in his eye, he said, you know that is diesel, right? I turned real fast and said, "WHAT??!@?#! DIESEL OH NO!!!" and shut the pump off real fast.. "WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO NOW!@#!@#" i looked scared he, looked terrified, i started laffing and told him yes i knew what i was doing, he asked the usual questions afterwards,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ROTFLMAO!

atomicalex

TDI
die neue 2002 GLS Reflex Silver
Originally posted by golfstream:
and pointed at the car replied "what do you think the 'D' is for?" "Oh, really?"
--
Uhh, actually Alex.. the 'D' stands for 'Direct'... as in "Turbocharged Direct Injected."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No ****, really?
My poor husband has pretty much given up on trying to explain the car to people, so now he just lies about it. We live in the South, so brainpower is at a premium among locals. Actually, he has adapted to his new vehicle (finally running after endless trips to the dealer!) quite nicely. He no longer "gets gas", but "fuels up".

BruhahaX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I went to fill up last night at the Amoco 'gas' station in Kansas City, the nice rich part of KC too. I pull up to the pump and frist put some PS in and then as I put the nozzel into the filler neck one attendent(about 17 years old) rushes over and...

Him "dude, that diesel, you know?"
Me "Really? Are you sure?"
Him "Yeah, that will totally mess you up"
Me "Ill give it a shot anyway, see what happens..."
Him: getting frustrated "Im not sure you want to do that"
Me "Ill tell you what; let me fill up, and as I drive out of here you ask yourself, is that a diesel or gas engine? This can be your automotive lesson of the day"
Him "Dude, I had no idea
"

Gives me a kick to mess with the gas station people

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Hey brakes & BruhahaX,

At least these attendants were concerned enough to come over and try to keep you from screwing up (which does sometimes happen). The ones that I'd really like to screw with are the punks that sit back and watch and snicker while they think you're screwing up. And they won't say a word 'cause they're just waiting to see your car die so they can bust out laughing... a$$holes!

-Mel

brakes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (sold), 2005 Passat TDI
Yeah i agree, some of the people want to keep us from harmin ourselves, some of the people want to hurt themselves, and the rest of the people are smart enough to drive TDI's!

but hey back to the stories.....

ps.. i saw a guy in a diesel isuzu p'up at a station on the pa tpk, we smiled and each other and gave each other an all knowing look, as we bought fuel for .03 less than the cheap stuff...

DaveB

This wasn't at a gas station, but anyway...

I was working at a construction site in NJ, and had recently purchased my TDI. One day a truck driver was delivering some equipment, noticed my little TDI Golf sitting between all the trucks and SUVs of the other guys on site, and starts asking around who owned the VW? When he finds me, he starts telling me he used to own a VW diesel (I think a Rabbit), and that it was the best car he ever owned, tells me his next car is going to be a TDI, starts asking me how I like mine, etc, etc. He even offers to buy my car if I didn't want it! That made me feel good, especially after enduring weeks of friends asking me, "why did you buy a diesel???"

Oto

none of my friends ever ask why I bought a TDI, They just always say 'whos driving?' and I end up doing it

Course theres a guy in work, who goes

"you got a diesel? You polluter!"

Hes one of those right wingers who says Im not right wing, im right... ahh well, no accounting for taste I guess.

JettaWagonTDI1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2002 Candy White with Gold Pinstripe
Oto:

You mean "left"-wing enviromentalist wackos. They are the ones to worry about. Environmentalists are leftists socialites.

ALGORE IS A RISKY SCHEME.

DEFEAT LIBERALISM AND BIG GOV'T... VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!

BRBarian

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Five Golf TDIs!
Originally posted by JettaWagonTDI1:
Oto:

You mean "left"-wing enviromentalist wackos. They are the ones to worry about. Environmentalists are leftists socialites.

ALGORE IS A RISKY SCHEME.

DEFEAT LIBERALISM AND BIG GOV'T... VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Save it for the GD forum.

This was a really nice thread until the angry **** arrived.

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
This is still the most entertaining thread i've ever read
Let's keep it on topic and those 'gas' stories coming!

Oto

ok, but I have to respond to that, no, hes right-winger alrighty, it was his dig at me...

hmm, So far, uhm, I went to a gas station and the attendant was told diesel, and went for the gas instead...does that count?

VW Racer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDi Silver
The second time I filled up our new Golf I was just finishing up when I heard the clatter-clatter of a MB 300D pulling up behind me. A very attractive lady (my age
) jumped out and began gushing about how beautiful was our new silver Golf. She wanted to hear it run, and then couldn't get over how quiet it was. So we invited her to drive it around the large parking lot, and she gushed some more about how much power it had, how quiet it was inside, how cold the a/c was, etc-etc. Then she got a scowl on her face and asked if it did better than her 28 MPG highway average...

She declared herself converted when we told her it got 44 MPG on its first couple of tanks (mainly city driving), and that we expected closer to 50 on our this one, as this tank would be consumed on our trip to Seattle. As we got into our Golf to head up the freeway, she said she was headed to the VW dealer the very next day.