Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
stopped at truck stop on I-35 on way back from Austin last weekend. topped off with about 15 gallons of diesel at one of those islands with both diesel and gas pumps. went inside to pay cash for the fuel.
cashier said, "$17.18, have a nice day!"
We drove off without further incident.

[ June 10, 2002, 11:55: Message edited by: gardentender ]

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
--snip

We drove off without further incident.

--snip

Gardentender, I guess that TDIs are common in that area of the US?!

-Neil

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
Perhaps a little different from other... I was filling up at the local station when the lady on the other side of me asked me why the nozzle would fit into her pratically new, running, toyota landcruiser. I could tell as I was explaining that she was using the diesel pump to fill her bahemouth that she had never been to a gas station before

Most of the other times it's the clerks behind the counter snickering cause they think I just made a big boo boo and are waiting to see my car die

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
I filled up for the first time yesterday. I said "Pump 5", She said "You know that's a diesel pump, right". I said "Yes, I know" and smiled.

godlike242

Veteran Member
a few months ago, i was filling up and some guy in a Suburban wandered over and asked about the car, and what kind of mileage and what is it to drive..

when i told him the mileage, he looked back at his truck with a sad expression on his face...

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
nothing like becoming disenchanted with your SUV and your significant other on the same damn day!

Bugzilla

TDI
2002 NB / 2006 Jetta
Got a few of these.

My first fill up I had to go into the station and convince the attendant that my car really was a diesel. It took about 5 minutes and finally told her, 'Look it's my damn car, if I want to tear it up then let me.' She then turned on the pump for me. Same attendant 1 week later did almost exactly the same thing. Sad part of it was that the diesel pump is right beside the kerosene pump and is no where near the gas pumps. You really have to go out of you way to pump their diesel.

Just last night, pulled into a truck stop and there were two(2) MB 240D's at the pump having a conversation and looking at each other's engines. They had already filled up and were blocking both diesel pumps. I got out and asked if one of them could move so I could fill up. They both looked and me and said 'You realize this is a diesel pump, don't you?'. I informed them that I in fact was driving a diesel. They then walk over to check out my car. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the cars, looking under the hoods. They couldn't get over how quite the TDI was compared to theirs. One guy asked me about my mileage and told him I was averaging 51 mpg and his eyes got really big, and volunteered he was only getting 24 mpg.

Eric

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver
I keep a log of how much fuel I buy, when, and at what odometer reading. Quite handy for bragging rights. But, to the point, it is a quiet pleasure to be writing down the entry for the current fillup, and notice that its been a month since the last time I stopped at a gas station.

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
Maybe not in a Gasoline station but anywayss....

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I went into a Burger King in Carson City....there was another nice (Indigo Blue) TDI in the parking lot.....we went in sat down behind a lady and her son..she asked me "Is that your Green Jetta TDI
".....Me my wife and that lady had a coversation all through our lunch about the cars (and how she accidently put gasoline in her car
No engine damage thankfully It quit before she got to the end of the block) I have had several converstions like this with a whole bunch of people in all sorts of places I LOVE IT

I also told her about the TDIClub

[ June 11, 2002, 19:24: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]

Ruth-n-Dave

I pulled into a new station (well, new to me), and couldn't find the diesel pump immediately. Then I saw a guy with a Mercedes diesel gesturing wildly for me to drive over to where he was. He heard the engine, and knew it was a TDI - he had a Passat like mine until it got totalled.

After chatting a bit, he said his name was DeeBee, and did I know about the TDIclub? That was my introduction to all of you.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Originally posted by ruth:
...I saw a guy with a Mercedes diesel gesturing wildly for me to drive over to where he was. He heard the engine, and knew it was a TDI - he had a Passat like mine until it got totalled.

After chatting a bit, he said his name was DeeBee, and did I know about ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So DeeBee is up to his old tricks again. Hats off to you, DeeBee, your smooth ways still work that old charm...

[ June 12, 2002, 12:48: Message edited by: SteveS ]

Brdlvr

Last month when my wife stopped to fill our TDI, she began to put on a pair of gloves. A trucker who was filling his truck came over and offered to fill the car for her. A true knight of the road.

Boone

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI 2001 Blue Laggun
Well a couple of things....

In Wisconsin I have never gotten questioned about putting diesel in my Jetta by any station attendent. But i did have a couple of guys in pickups filling up, at the Amoco I always goto, comment to me about how wise it is to own a diesel, and ask me the milage and crap.

But this is the good part one day I decided to try some high quality truck stop fuel
(had no choice), anyrate, i pulled around to the truck lanes and sitting there was an old guy filling his NB up with fuel, he was silent never even looked at me. There was only 3 truck lanes, 2 had VW's in them with 2 rigs behind us and the 3rd had a rig in it. I wish I had a camera, 2 TDI's filling up and 2 18 wheeler's waiting for us to fill up!!! I didnt vent that day, they are alot bigger than me!!!

**DONOTDELETE**

Russel, Manitoba (home of Theoren Fleury): Pull up to pump, attendant asks "Diesel? That's a diesel? I've never seen a car that small run on diesel. It didn't sound like a diesel. Hmm. Sharp little car!" (nice save!)

Bassano, Alberta: Kid (looks like Hilary Swank from Boys Don't Cry) says "That's a diesel? Wow. A diesel car."

Somewhere else: Attendant asked "That's diesel. Are you sure?"

[ June 19, 2002, 07:44: Message edited by: je ]

atomicalex

TDI
die neue 2002 GLS Reflex Silver
Background - I told my husband that when he replaced his old Golf, he would have to get a TDI Golf. No its, ands, or buts. We are on our second tank of diesel so far....

My husband came home from fueling up the other day and announced that he had found all of the diesel stations in Savannah proper. I inquired how he did this.

"I followed a bunch of sooty Mercedes around all day."

So, uh, where did you get fuel, honey?

"Oh, the Enmark on Skidaway. They tried to chase me away, but I told them my wife said 'diesel only' and I sure as hell wasn't going to argue with her."

Thanks, honey.

txg60

Hehe these stories are hilarious..I had a brief but weird encounter at a Union 76 station in Calabasas,CA right off the 101..I have been filling up here for about 3 months now and for the first time the owner asked me "is that a diesel?"...just nodded to him and he just walked off shaking his head...

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I run B100, so my stories involve large tanks, jugs, mouth siphoning and the occaisional gusher.
Interactions are limited to mosquitos.

But during the winter, I thin the bd with kerosene from a solitary pump at a local fuel station. The last time out, two workman in a truck
were eating breakfast in front of the pump, blocking my access. 2 minutes of glaring at them had no effect. Finally I turned the car around and backed in the direction of the pump and they got the hint and moved.

But I wonder if they were saying to each other...
"That idiot is pumping kerosene into his car!"

atomicalex

TDI
die neue 2002 GLS Reflex Silver
Thanks Rob, you can't imagine how much we need good vibes. It has developed some nasty electrical problems and is at the dealer for the second time in 800 miles. Argh!

SxS16ga

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto
Don't have a VW TDi yet but got a Chevy Diesel, and had a POOGOT diesel. (Click and Clack have it right only French deserve french cars) I used to get the do you know thats diesel bit when fueling the POOGOT. One time fueling the Chevy a had Benz owner pull up and ask me what kind of fuel should he put in it. I looked bit puzzeled and said diesel.
He then explained that he was from Arizona and didn't know about the 50/50 mix or #1 which should he use. I told him since it was May and the below zero temps are gone #2 would be best.

OBTW I love my 6.5TD Chevy Pickup, 20 mpg @75 in a full size truck is nice. Last gaser never got better than 14 mpg.

NB TDI

Veteran Member
I got one
I was filling up at the station.. when a guy was fill up this huge tracker trailer right across for me. He was all looking at my car in out .. telling be how much he liked it. And he almost got a heart attack when he saw that i was pouring in diesel fuel... He's like hey! hey! hey! stop! stop! your putting in the wrong fuel... Haha it was so funny.. After explaining to him that it was diesel the great mileage that got... He said that he was going to make a stop at the VW dealer :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Some more fun TDI stories this week....Was getting some diesel at the local Hess was just finishing up screwing on the cap and putting the pump back. (I know its not legal to pump your own gas in NJ but they let me slide there cause its diesel) This really hot chick pulls up in a Silver GTI. She pulls up to the pump on the other side of me. I told her that was a great choice of color (my car is silver as well) she told me great choice of car. She then asks me if thats a TDI. I was totally thrown back by this question cause she didn't seem like the type that would know a lot about VW's let alone knowing it was diesel. I told her yes, and then she asked if I liked it or not, told her I did. Then she told me her husband has Jetta TDI too, and he really likes, and his is black. Doh, she married, oh well the GF gets back from Rome in a few weeks, maybe I can get her to score some euro parts for me from there...hmmm

Also had to go to a wedding this weekend, and part of our drive to the reception involved, going up a really long up hill on 78e in NJ. Buddy of mine I havent seen in a while was in his Dodge Dakota quad cab pickup was in front of me, and he decided to let loose and was going up the hill at like 90. I followed suit, we get to the reception, I asked him what was the instant fuel econ guage was reading while doing that little stunt. He said it was jumping between 5 and 6. I chuckled a bit, and told him I was probably in the 30's on that little run. I told him that it was diesel, and he thought I had atleast the 1.8T in it because I was keeping up. (we lost a friend of ours his little Neon who couldnt keep up the hill at the rate we were going at) Either way it was fun!

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Little OT, but I just got back from getting some Diesel and I felt creative.....

My TDI

While I drive my TDI on the highway, headed vacation bound
I know my car is getting, the best fuel economy around

I look at those SUV’s, clogging up the road
Next to an Excursion, my cars the size of a toad

To escape this behemoth, I go looking for a nifty twisty route
One where I can go faster, and cannot, ‘cause his truck rolls about

The turbo whines and the tail pipe shoots a little puff of smoke
This car is diesel, hell ya it is! On this fuel it shall toke

When I pull up to the fuel pump, most people don’t even look
Diesel goes in, they start to laugh, thinking my engines gonna cook

Attendant laughs at me and claims I am a fool, then I give it a starting crank
I say this is a diesel, and it can go, eight hundred miles on the tank!

His jaw drops and my windows shuts as I pull away from this shmuck
He had this look like upon his face, it appears to be “what the fu*k?!?!”

I shall finish this poem I write, on a funny closing note
While other brag speed, I do not, fuel economy is what I gloat!

96Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 06 Golf
I was at the local Mohawk the other night and only put 75 liters in. The woman at the till asks "How can you put 75 liters in that car?" I wanted to tell her about venting but it was easier to say I put the nozzle in the hole and let er fly.
At the station I use the most, the pump guy always asks if I want him to vent for me.

JettaWagonTDI1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2002 Candy White with Gold Pinstripe
I've been known to be a practical joker in my day, but I had no intentions of disrespecting this woman in this true story.
About 6 months ago when my wife and I bought our Jetta Wagon, we stopped at the local service station for the first tank of diesel fuel (courtesy of the dealer). I pulled up at one of the combo gas/diesel pumps. As I was pumping diesel into the Jetta, an old woman pulls up in a fairly new Toyota Camry LE, and parks at the same pump as I, only that she's on the opposite side, yet I can see what she's doing. She smiles, says hello, and notices that I'm pumping fuel into my car with the "green colored hose", as she points out to me. I said "yeah... it's great stuff!" She says: "really?" I nodded, and went about my business. The next thing I know... I hear this banging, clanging noise, and this old lady is swearing like a sailor! I looked over and saw that she took the "green colored hose" (diesel) and was trying to stick it into her Toyota. The diesel hose would not fit (a smart Toyota design), despite her persistent attempts at putting a larger nozzle into a smaller hole. Man, she was pissed! It was cold as a witch's crotch outside, and her makeup had frozen stiff. She was about ready to abandon the Titanic I could tell... I told her that she had diesel, and not gas. Evidently, she did not believe me, so she asked me: "why won't this nozzle fit? you said it was good stuff?"
I replied: "well, that's 'cause I own a diesel car." She got even madder- she hung up the diesel hose and sped off, never to be seen again!

drjtdi

TDI
2001 Jetta Balck
I was filling up at a BP one morning and saw a felllow at another diesel pump with a Jetta wagon. When I finished filling I was going in to pay and the wagon guy was coming out. He asked me if my car was a diesel and we chatted a little. Then he asked me if I had wound her out and what speed had I attained. I said I had been up to 100 mph, wherein he blurted out that he had had his up 140 mph. I said " did you really?" and went to pay the cashier!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Originally posted by PetethePilot:
I pulled into a station in Upsala Ontario this winter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

I'm famaliar with Kenora/Keewatin, what with having a camp at Minaki, but where is Upsala?

So what were you supposed to do when you needed fuel?

Derrel H Green

[ July 06, 2002, 21:41: Message edited by: WVWSP61 ]

IndyJetta99

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Black
Originally posted by JettaWagonTDI1:
... The next thing I know... I hear this banging, clanging noise, and this old lady is swearing like a sailor! I looked over and saw that she took the "green colored hose" (diesel) and was trying to stick it into her Toyota. The diesel hose would not fit (a smart Toyota design), despite her persistent attempts at putting a larger nozzle into a smaller hole.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought all gassers had a smaller hole and wouldn't accept a diesel nozzle, regardless of manufacturer. If that's true, then it shouldn't be a concern when we pull up to a diesel pump, since it wouldn't be possible to inadvertantly put diesel in a gasser.

Most attendants probably don't know this, though.