Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Originally posted by Tor Diesel:
... She hates to touch the nozzle (for fear of smelling like diesel all day) and is very careful not to splash...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tor,

She'd be more inclined to touch your nozzle if you keep it cleaner...

-Mel

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
If some females who pump their own diesel want, h@ll, they can even touch MY nozzle! LOL

I treat it with care!!!!

vickielman

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Blue Lagoon
Both of the stations that I use regularly have a car diesel pump in the line up of truck pumps. So usually its the truck drivers walking by who pause and say, "I didn't know they made them cars in a diesel". I just say yep, and they usually ask about my mileage. Most are shocked and amazed when I tell them I get about 700 miles off a tank. I've never been shut down or warned like I didn't know what I was putting in my car, but my license plate also says "GOT DEZL" so that may help.

At one station people are constantly blocking the diesel pump to run in to buy stuff from the convenience store or whatever. It pisses me off, so I usually just pull in behind them and blow my horn (more fun in the F350 with the air horns
). But last time it was a cop blocking the pump, so I figured I better be nice. I went inside and he's standing there sipping his coffee. I said "hey, you wanna move your car forward - you are blocking the pump." He said sure, and did and then talked to me about 5 minutes about my car. Most of the time I don't mind bragging on it, because I do enjoy my car.

Oh, and I keep a pair of leather work gloves in the door pocket for pumping those dirty nozzles.

Vicki

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
These stories are great! Keep 'em coming.

I seem to be in the club of never having anyone say anything about my car when filling up. I think in the two years I've had it, I've only had one or two people ask me about my mileage.

My best friend's brother was all over my car when we visited him a while back. He was going to buy a Golf TDI for his daughter's graduation from high school! Must be nice.

He was into diesels too, but his was a honkin' big Dodge truck that could run circles 'round my Golf. It's the only thing I've ever rode in that didn't need to start in 1st gear. It was a special order engine (dunno the specs) that moved in 5th like mine does in 2nd!

Awesome

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
I've never had the pump get shut off or anything like that, but when I go in to pay I occasionally hear "You know that's diesel, right?" However, on my way to work one morning, I stopped at a convenience store in Oviedo to buy a drink, and when I came out there was a fella with an old 240D standing there next to my car checking it out. We talked for about 10 minutes about his diesel and mine, and how his had 270k and was going in for a rebuild soon. It was a pretty neat act of random diesel bonding... too bad a had to leave so I wasn't late for work!

-Rob

rocketman

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001 GAL BLUE
Usually I get "looks" only. They seem to be saying to themselves, "Is he going to be in for a surprise".
One guy asked me, how do you like that New Beetle?

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by MITBeta:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had a kid (late teens, gawd, I'm getting old) who was there with his dad and he was totally fascinated by the TDI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nate, you're talking about WPIPoet aren't you?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

man, all these stories make me want to go pump some diesel. it's almost a shame i get so many miles between tanks...

jorpet

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta - 2015 Golf SW
I have only had one truck driver tell me I was pumping diesel. He wanted the pump and thought I should move. After I told him the Jetta was a diesel he got out and took a look.

In 25 years of pumping gas into my cars I doubt I had more than a half dozen conversations at the pump and most of those came over a '67 Belvedere I was driving. With the TDI I talk to someone almost everytime. I find diesel owners way friendly.

I was filling the the Jeep one day and an old diesel Rabbit backs into the diesel pump behind me. I sit and chat with him while we both fill up. I get in the car and my wife asks "who was that you were talking to". I said I don't know just a friendly diesel driver.

wifes reaction ==>

Mark Mellblom

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf 2001 TDI Golf
Being in the military has one advantage..you can fuel up in the company of some cool vehicles. Deuce 1/2s, Unimogs, etc. I drilled in the reserves the other weekend and waited in line along with some 'heavys' and took the time to explain that my Golf was right at home...heck it was Green!
Only complaint so far, is getting diesel on your tenny shoes. Man, if you don't wipe that junk off, its slippery brake pedal time!

You can find a pic on my site from the last GTG at Williamsburg.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
I finally have a story. I was filling up last night for my return trip home from Chicago. I was at a Tri-State Tollway service plaza on I-80/294 and pulled up to the diesel pump in the car section. I get out, added what was left of my additive and went to put my credit card in the slot. The pump read "Pump stopped". I tried pushing the buttons but nothing. So I go to the cashier and ask if the diesel pump was working. She gives me this look like I'm the biggest Idiot Out Walking About (Iowa, get it?
) and says "You wanna put DIESEL in your CAR? Why?" I replied, "It's a diesel car, it doesn't run too well if you put gasoline in it." She kind of rolls her eyes and turns the pump on. I think she must have turned it off when I tried to use it to prevent me from "making a mistake".

FL70CAT

I had some lady walk up to my wife at wal-mart one time after we parked and say "excuse me dear, your car has something wrong with it....it shouldn't sound like that"
I wanted to just lose it laughing but somehow held it and said "thanks it's a diesel" she then gave a puzzled look and walked away.

Recently in my FL70 truck I've actually had someone walk up to me while filling at the diesel island and ask if the truck was diesel. I was like aaaaahhhhhhhh........yup' it is.

There's some darn ignorant people out there, how about it!!

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
Years ago when one of my buddies purchased one of the first Dodge Cummins pick up trucks we fell into a routine where he starts up his truck and I yell that he needs a valve adjustment and he yells back "I can't hear you. I need to get my valves adjusted."

Boundless

BANNED
I was filling up my TDi at a time when diesel prices were very much below gasoline prices.

The owner comes running out of the station yelling at me & telling me to stop, that I'm pumping diesel. I tell him it's okay, the car runs on diesel. He tells me that people with gassers were buying diesel because it was cheaper and then he had to send a tow truck out to get them when the car wouldn't run.

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
I pulled into a station in Upsala Ontario this winter. Don't bother getting a map out it probably ain't on it.
Anyways there is only one diesel fuel pump and I look at the price and think geez that's cheap! about .50c a liter, it's probably crap but what the heck! I'm pumping away and an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police Officer) slides up to me and says ....... sir do you know that fuel is only for off road use? Huh? He points to the little decal on the fuel cabinet that I hadn't noticed until now!
Well I'm red and tell him... Gosh I'm sorry I never seen that decal officer and I stop pumping and go and pay , he smiles and says he's got a TDI too and he made the same mistake when he got his Jetta. Whew!!! No jail no big fine. We chat for a few moments and he tells me how much he loves his and I tell him how much I love mine bla bla.
You meet the nicest folks driven TDI's
Take care out there Pete

hayden

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf
I have a few tales of pump-filling mayhem.

The wierdest one: I was filling up at the nearest Amoco with no.2 fuel, which is on the borderline of a rough neighborhood/ghetto. There are always folks walkin about and I wouldnt go there at night honestly. So I am pumping fuel one day and this rather drunk looking older man comes stumbling across the street and stops and looks at me, meanwhile I have my "no I don't have any change today, sorry" comment ready, as usual, when he goes "that a Diesel?" I reply, "yeah!".. he says, "how's it on the highway?" This is where I go into the speel about the torque and how wonderful it is. He says, "I'm 'unna get me one of them." I said, "cool!" lol. I wished him good tidings and luck on finding a good'un. I figure the guy used to be a truck driver and missed the whole thing.. ya know.

And then the charming little moment story: I was travelling cross-country with my girlfriend at the time and was not carefully monitoring how much fuel I had left, when beeeeeep, the light cuts on and I drive quite a ways till I see a station. Whew! I thought, and go in, and they say their pump is out of order and the nearest station is "a few miles down the road" in some town. So, with no other choice, I baby the car down the highway till the turnoff, and start going quite a ways from the highway into this SMAAALLL town. I think, at the station, was a good percentage of it's population. It was so southern it hurt (lousiana.) I pull in, and feel like I had just gone back in time.. a black fellow walks up to the car and I tell him to fill it up with Diesel, meanwhile there are old white men inside and one very old black man just sitting by the fan.. one was actually fanning himself with something.. classic! I walk in to pay and the old black man asks "they got a diesel in somethin' that small now?" I smiled and said, "yep!" He, as well as the rest of the station, and I, had quite a moment right then. Kinda like a "awww, shucks, that's so neat" kind of a moment. <tear in eye> He asked what kinda mileage I got, and I told him. Walked out, tipped the very nice man who filled it up (who lit up like a christmas tree when I handed him the money and bowed saying thank ya, thank ya (I mean jeez, I felt like I was in the 19th century or something.) Then I started it up, smiled at my girl and said, "that was so nice" and drove off, weeping willows all around. The whole thing felt like I was some alien visitor landing in my UFO and asking for directions.

-hayden

P180

Veteran Member
I ran over my head with my own car at a gas station just off I95 in Jacksonville, Florida once. Luckily it only happened once. That was back in the summer of '77. I'll bet the guys that were pumping gas at the time are still telling that story.

But my car was a '71 Karmann Ghia convertible. A gasser of coarse so the story doesn't belong here. It is somewhere back in the archives though if you want a good laugh.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
No Lie! Filling up, the man next to me at the gas pump with a "Detroit Drednaught" remarks " you'll be sorry you bought a diesel car! My brother had an OLDSMOBILE DIESEL and it "blew up" after only 60,000 miles! How long can a diesel last in a little foreign job like that?"

kbgotmilk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Silver
I don't have much choice for diesel in Central PA. I use the Sheetz station. It has two diesel pumps off to the side. However, it is right next to the air pressure station. So, the gassers pull right up and don't leave me enough room to fill up.

I have a procedure that involves latex gloves, fuel additive, and I always check the mileage and oil level. So, this takes time. The gassers that pull up to fill their tires get made. So, I always allow enough room for them.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by hayden:
...I baby the car down the highway till the turnoff, and start going quite a ways from the highway into this SMAAALLL town. I think, at the station, was a good percentage of it's population. It was so southern it hurt (lousiana.) I pull in, and feel like I had just gone back in time.. a black fellow walks up to the car and I tell him to fill it up with Diesel, meanwhile there are old white men inside and one very old black man just sitting by the fan.. one was actually fanning himself with something.. classic! I walk in to pay and the old black man asks "they got a diesel in somethin' that small now?" I smiled and said, "yep!" He, as well as the rest of the station, and I, had quite a moment right then. Kinda like a "awww, shucks, that's so neat" kind of a moment. <tear in eye> He asked what kinda mileage I got, and I told him. Walked out, tipped the very nice man who filled it up (who lit up like a christmas tree when I handed him the money and bowed saying thank ya, thank ya (I mean jeez, I felt like I was in the 19th century or something.) Then I started it up, smiled at my girl and said, "that was so nice" and drove off, weeping willows all around...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This sounds like a great idea for a new TDI commercial.

deezuhl

TDI
1992 Mercedes 300D 2.5
These stories are so fuuny please keep them coming. I don't own a TDI, instead I have a 1987 Mercedes Diesel but since they are so common no one looks twice at me when I fill up with fuel. The only thing that happened to me when I filled up one time at our local Citgo station I just started pupming (the pump is located between 2 gas pums so needless to say I ended up blocking one of them)this lady pulls up in the Chevy Suburban and gets out to tell me that I'm blocking the pump so I tell her " That I'm pumping diesel" Her reply " I didn't know they had diesel here" I said "Most people don't", which is true I can't tell you how many times I have to wait on people that are puping gas at the only pump that has diesel when there are 6 other available pumps waiting to be used.

Ex-Lifeguard

TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Not a diesel story but fits in with the reply referencing the "oil crisis" of the 70's. My dad was waiting in a gas line for 2 hours to get his $2 every other day allotment of fuel ... got in line at 4 AM. The line moved forward and as he started his car to pull forward another car came out of nowhere and cut in front of him in line. Now my dad has a saying ... "Don't get mad, get even." He went to the rear of his car, removed his LOCKING gas cap ... and installed it on the car that cut into line ... then left. Bet that other driver was ticked off when he got up to the pump!

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
Hi all! Keep these stories rolling in! They're great...........and I thought I'd only get one or two replies!!!!!!!!!!

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
This one may not belong here and its not that funny but...Thousands and thousands of years ago one of the first jobs budding new ChemEs get is to test fuel. Their standard tools are a sample bomb and a bomb calorimeter. The guys at the airport generally fill it up, look and say “Yeah, it’s the right color, Let ‘er rip.” Well, guess what after years and years of this routine suddenly the people at the airport locks these now middle aged ChemEs up for what? A bomb? More than 1 bomb? Well these two guys have been certifying safe aviation for the past several years at the same airport and now you’ve got them locked up? Now you don’t want them to call a sample bomb a sample bomb or a bomb calorimeter a bomb calorimeter anymore.
People are sooo STUPID.

[ June 07, 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: RiceEater ]

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by RiceEater:
This one may not belong here and its not that funny but...Thousands and thousands of years ago one of the first jobs budding new ChemEs get is to test fuel. Their standard tools are a sample bomb and a bomb calorimeter. The guys at the airport generally fill it up, look and say “Yeah, it’s the right color, Let ‘er rip.” Well, guess what after years and years of this routine suddenly the people at the airport locks these now middle aged ChemEs up for what? A bomb? More than 1 bomb? Well these two guys have been certifying safe aviation for the past several years at the same airport and now you’ve got them locked up? Now you don’t want them to call a sample bomb a sample bomb or a bomb calorimeter a bomb calorimeter anymore.
People are sooo STUPID.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Was leaving Atlantic City this morning and I stopped at the Sunoco on the AC expressway. Two foriegn guys working the station, almost pooped their pants when I pulled up to the diesel pump. They kept telling me to pull up further and I didn't want to put diesel in my car.(the diesel pump was in the middle of the island away from the other 2 sets of pump) I flicked the fuel door open switch and they looked at the inside of the lid, and after about 10 seconds of dragging their jaws on the floor of the station they asked me if I wanted to fill it, cash credit etc. I said yea, and let me top it off. (I had my doubts these guys knew of the venting trick) They said that was the quietest diesel they have ever heard in their life. Then they went on talking in their native language, and by the way they were gesturing I am guessing it was a conversation about my car.

Little side note was talking with a friend mines grandfather (their family owns a dealership that sells all GM vehicles) He was talking about his Denali and how the thing guzzles gas. As a joke we tabbed up roughly what he spent on gas for 5000 miles of driving versus what I spent in 5000 miles of driving. My number was around $130 while his was around $425. I know apples to oranges but still money makes it all relative

He also mentioned how GM screwed up big time with diesel and probably single-handedly put the market back on those cars about 20 years. I agree...

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
The other day I was fueling up at the truckstop near my house, and I had some guy, who had the audacity to tell me "Sir, do you know that you are using a diesel pump"...sheesh

So I had a license plate frame made that said the name of my favorite website (www.tdiclub.com) on the top: And at the bottom it says "Yes It's a........DIESEL!!!!!!!

BTW thank you Fred for this great forum

Originally posted by Boundless
The owner comes running out of the station yelling at me & telling me to stop, that I'm pumping diesel. I tell him it's okay, the car runs on diesel. He tells me that people with gassers were buying diesel because it was cheaper and then he had to send a tow truck out to get them when the car wouldn't run.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What a bunch of ignorant SOB's

[ June 09, 2002, 21:29: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]

Greg Yohn

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Nitejav:
Was leaving Atlantic City this morning and I stopped at the Sunoco on the AC expressway. Two foriegn guys working the station, almost pooped their pants when I pulled up to the diesel pump...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was at the same place just outside of AC on the turnpike and an Amercican born 50ish gas station attendant, said TDI!! He proceeded to let me fill up my car using the venting technique, I just got 2 gal in the car, otherwise only $.50, since I was topping off my 100% biodiesel mixture.