Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standards

esp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
Re: Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standards

just to make it aaaaaa little bit more....

A slippery job
Tips on engine oil

Engine oil is an essential lubricant for a car. But it also performs other functions, such as cooling, protecting, sealing, cleaning and transmitting forces. The tips set out here will show how you as a motorist can help your engine oil carry out its numerous tasks and so extend the life of your engine. And that will benefit the environment too.

Oil level

If the oil level is too low the engine may be damaged due to overheating of the oil and lack of lubrication.
Aftermarket products promising to eliminate the need for oil to run the engine are ineffective. They are bound to damage your engine.
If the oil level is too high (overfilled) the engine will exhibit excessive friction loss (churning), resulting in high fuel consumption, loss of power and possibly also engine damage. Furthermore, the engine will burn too much oil, and so pollute the environment.

Checking the oil level

The engine oil level is checked using a dipstick. The dipstick always shows two marks between which the oil level should be indicated. The distance between the top and bottom marks roughly corresponds to around one litre of oil. The oil level should be checked every time you refuel.

To check the oil, park the vehicle on a flat surface, switch off the engine and wait a few minutes for the oil to collect in the sump.
Withdraw the dipstick fully and wipe it off at the bottom. Then re-insert it all the way in. Pull it out again and read off the oil level.
The oil level is at its optimum if it is close to the top mark (Maximum).
Never let the oil level fall below the bottom mark (Minimum). If the oil level is too low, top it up, then check again.
Be sure to close the filler cap properly, to prevent oil splashing out into the engine compartment.
And by the way: too much oil is bad as well, because if the surplus oil is drawn into the crankcase breather it will be emitted through the exhaust to the open air. On vehicles fitted with catalytic converters, the oil may combust in the catalytic converter and damage it.

Topping up oil

All engines consume oil; some more than others. Increased oil consumption may be due to the engine design and/or the lubricant quality. It may also result from a poor quality of oil (see below).

The same oil as is already in the engine should be used for topping up.
The best solution is to carry in your boot a spare bottle of oil with a screw cap and a level indicator on the side. That way you will be sure your engine is using the right oil and you can use the level indicator to measure the amount of oil you pour in precisely.
Mixing different products may lead to increased oil consumption and possibly engine damage if an unsuitable oil is used. Mixing oil may also cause problems when making product liability claims.

Oil pressure

If the oil pressure warning lamp comes on and remains lit while driving, switch off the engine immediately. Check the oil level and top up as necessary (see above).
You should in any case take the vehicle to a dealer to make sure the loss of oil is not due to a technical fault.
If the warning lamp lights up at idle and goes out when you accelerate, the oil is too fluid and should be changed as soon as possible.

Oil quality

If low-quality oil is used, the results may be higher fuel consumption, increased wear symptoms, build-up of deposits and - ultimately - engine damage (see above). With the right lubricant a car's engine runs more smoothly, particularly when undertaking frequent cold starts at low ambient temperatures.

So-called synthetic single-grade oils are more fluid and so lubricate faster, reaching all the friction points in a cold engine within a very short space of time. They also protect the catalytic converter and save fuel. As a result the vehicle produces less pollution.
Synthetic high-performance oil is usually more expensive than a mineral oil, but the engine and the environment will benefit from the additional investment.
You should in any case make sure the product is approved for use in your vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer. Consult your dealer, or refer to your Owner's Manual.
Oils for diesel engines are not usually approved for use in petrol engines.

Oil change intervals

Despite major leaps forward in its development, engine oil is nevertheless subject to a degree of wear, and must still be changed after a certain period of time. High temperatures lead to the formation of ageing products. In diesel engines, in particular, the oil may thicken due to sooting. The additives protecting against dirt deposits, wear and corrosion gradually lose their effectiveness, and cannot be fully restored by topping up. Consequently, the vehicle manufacturers stipulate regular engine oil changes.

Since July 1999 some Volkswagen vehicles have qualified for extended service intervals (ESI). They are only possible in conjunction with the use of appropriate fully synthetic long-life engine oils. Depending on the engine and model variant, service - and thus oil change - intervals can be extended to as much as 30,000 kilometres or a maximum of two years for petrol engines and 50,000 kilometres or a maximum of two years for some diesel engines. The PR number "QG1" on the vehicle data sticker indicates whether a vehicle qualifies for extended service intervals.
Volkswagen has designated 58 engine oils as conforming to VW standard 503.00 for petrol engines and VW standard 506.00 for diesel engines and as qualifying for extended service intervals.
A further 22 oils are approved to VW standard 503.01 for turbo petrol engines.
According to standard 506.01, 10 lubricants are approved for engines with pump/nozzle assemblies.
All ESI engines can also be run on conventional oils. However, the service interval display must then be reprogrammed and the oil changed after a maximum of 15,000 kilometres or one year. The same shorter interval applies if the driver has topped up more than half a litre of conventional oil when unable to obtain a suitable long-life lubricant.
Use of a high-grade engine oil is especially important when a vehicle is subject to a lengthy oil change interval and taking into consideration the conditions under which it is run (urban traffic, short trips, driving at full throttle). It is also advisable to change the oil earlier than stipulated when the vehicle is run under extreme conditions, such as after long trips on dusty roads or if you run a number of short trips during the cold season, when the engine seldom or never reaches its operating temperature.
The oil filter must also be replaced at every oil change.
The oil change should best be carried out by a dealership workshop. They will use an oil conforming to the manufacturers' specification and replace the dirtied oil filter. They will also be able to drain and store the used oil in the correct manner and arrange for it to be collected by an authorized disposal company.
Caution: Do-it-yourself oil changing demands technical know-how and skill. Errors may result in engine damage, or lead to oil being introduced in an uncontrolled manner into the soil, causing serious environmental damage. The perpetrators of such actions may be subject to severe penalties. Furthermore, if you change the oil yourself you will usually have to ensure proper disposal of the used oil and the filter by taking it to an authorized used oil collection point. That is often inconvenient, time-consuming and costly.

Oil standard and its especially release

Standard 503.00 and 506.00

Agip Agip 7005
Antar Antar Innovia Premium
Aral Aral SuperTronic 2
Avia Aviasynth PD 0W-30 -longlife-
Castrol Castrol Longlife
Cepsa Cepsa Star Top Synt
Elf Elf Evolution
Esso Esso Ultron (Long Drain)
Fina Fina First
Fuchs Fuchs TITAN Supersyn SL PCX
Galp energia Galp Formula 503/506
Gulf Gulf Formula XT
Igol Igol Process 503/506
Kuwait Petroleum Q8 Formula Excel ED
Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime Plus
Meguin Ultra Performance Long Distance
Mobil Mobil SHC Formula V
Mobil Mobil TE
Motul Motul Specific 50300 - 50600
OMV OMV full syn extra
Pentosin Pento Super Performance
Repsol Repsol Elite ECO-XXI
Repsol Repsol Elite Turbo Life 506.01
Shell Shell Helix Ultra AD
SRS Schmierstoff Vertrieb Wintershall ViVA 1 SLV
Techno Tecar-Motorenöl 50300 und 50600
Texaco Havoline Synthetic
Texaco Havoline Synthetic
Total Total Activa 9000
Total Total Quartz 9000
Valvoline Valvoline SynPower XL
Würth Triathlon Endurance
Zeller+Gmelin Divinol Syntholight

SAE Viscosity Grade: SAE 0W-30
VW Standard(s): 50300/50600

Standard 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01

Addinol Addinol Mega light MV039
Agip Agip 7007
Aral Aral SuperTronic LongLife II
BP BP Visco 7000 LongLife II
Castrol Castrol Longlife 2 Top Up
Castrol Castrol SLX LongLife II
Elf Elf Evolution CRV
Esso Esso Universal LD
Fuchs Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL Longlife Plus
Kuwait Petroleum Q8 Formula Excel EDX
Mobil Mobil SHC Formula LD
Motul Motul Specific 506 01 506 00 503 00
Shell Shell Helix Ultra X
Texaco Havoline Synthetic 506.01
VAPS Vapsoil 506 01
Veedol Veedol Syntron LongLife II

VW Standard(s): 50300/50600/50601

Standard 503.01

Addinol Extra light MV 038
Agip Agip 7006
Aral Aral SuperTronic
BP BP Visco 7000 Special
Castrol Bot SLX/A
Castrol Castrol Formula SLX
DEA DEA Ultec SYN-T
DEA DEA Ultec SYN-T
ESSO Esso Ultron (Fuel Economy)
Fuchs Supersyn SL
Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL
Fuchs Labo RC
Ginouves York 748
Huiles Labo Labo RC
Kuwait Petroleum Q8 Formula Special
Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime
Meguin megol Motorenöl Super Leicht Lauf Multisynth
Mobil Mobil 1
Motul Motul 6100 LL-01
Oel-Brack Quaker State Synquest
Panolin Panolin Racing Synth DC
Pentosin Pentospeed 0W30VS
Shell Shell Helix Ultra
Teboil Teboil Diamond Plus
Texaco Havoline Synthetic DS
Unil Opal Opaljet 32 S
Valvoline Valvoline Synpower MXL
VAPS Vapsoil 50301
VAPS Vapsoil SYN 030
Veedol Veedol Syntron

SAE Viscosity Grade: SAE 0W-40 (for Agip, Aral, Mobil), SAE 0W-30 (for others)
VW Standard(s): 50301

aeonTDI

TDI
1999 Golf / Navy
Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standards

I have seen people go back and forth on this whole oil thing and I have a suggestion. I bought my 99.5 golf with 30k a year ago and have used Royal Purple 15w 40 formulated for diesel since I got it and not only have I not had any motor issues with it but also when I did my injector nozzles over the weekend I decided to scope out the manifold because I see all the clogged ones on the forums after 15-20k miles. Well my car now has 88k on it and has never been cleaned and other than a reletively thin film of oil on the walls I have virtually no clogging. If that doesnt win you over than price point is great. You can get 5 gallon ordered through most local auto stores for less than a U.S bill.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

aeon, welcome aboard.

Can you check to see if Royal Purple 15w 40 is certified to work in VW's current diesel offerings (2005MY) in the US? If someone was to follow your recommendation, would their warranty be honored?

Thx.

aeonTDI

TDI
1999 Golf / Navy

I am not sure of the specifics for the warranty. but the label shows compatability with sl, ch, ch4, st, and a couple of others I cant recall right away. This is a direct take from there Web page.

Royal Purple's motor oils are API certified and will not void new car warranties. Royal Purple® recommends waiting until the manufacturer's first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines before using Royal Purple®. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before use in diesel engines.

I personally would recomend that anyone who takes advice from any forum double check the source material before moving forward. We are all here to help one another but ultimately when it comes to an investment of the expense of a car one needs to make sure they cover their bases.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

aeon, thanks for sharing that info. The oil cannot be used in a 2004 or newer TDi since it doesn't meet the VAG505.01 standard which is required to keep the warranty in place. Also, TDis don't call for 15w-XX oils...just another minor point worth noting.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver

i agree that a lot of people whine about the oil. we know what we need to use so just buy it and use it in your tdi.if you dont want to use the right oil in your tdi then maybe you should get another car.

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver

Okay, after lurking through posts here, and having been beat up by dieseldorf and others for using a non-approved oil, it appears that the 506.01 oils give me the greatest promise for improved fuel economy, better than 507 oils.

Then, this is the list I should be looking at, right? Or, maybe one or two on the 506.00 list?
Addinol Addinol Mega light MV039
Agip Agip 7007
Aral Aral SuperTronic LongLife II
BP BP Visco 7000 LongLife II
Castrol Castrol Longlife 2 Top Up
Castrol Castrol SLX LongLife II
Elf Elf Evolution CRV
Esso Esso Universal LD
Fuchs Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL Longlife Plus
Kuwait Petroleum Q8 Formula Excel EDX
Mobil Mobil SHC Formula LD
Motul Motul Specific 506 01 506 00 503 00
Shell Shell Helix Ultra X
Texaco Havoline Synthetic 506.01
VAPS Vapsoil 506 01
Veedol Veedol Syntron LongLife II

VW Standard(s): 50300/50600/50601
Now, I am going to start shopping around for an oil to buy. Advice (fuel economy, price, or availability) is greatly appreciated.

Ernie Rogers

What do you think, Dieseldorf, am I starting to get it right?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Okay, after lurking through posts here, and having been beat up by dieseldorf and others for using a non-approved oil, it appears that the 506.01 oils give me the greatest promise for improved fuel economy, better than 507 oils.
Ernie, I'd like to say that I don't think anyone was beating you up. We were solely pointing out that the Mobil 1 product you selected was never intended to be used in a VW TDi - - it doesn't meet <u>any</u> criteria.

Secondly, most of us want to steer the newbies away from a similar fate.

The 506.01/506.00 discussion is very brief: I know of two oils only available in the USA and they are ELF and the Motul products. Danix may have been able to source the Pentosin version, I don't recall the lowdown on that.

So, don't spend a bunch of time searching for other oils that work. You will not find them in the USA.

YMMV

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I thought you could get big jugs of the Motul product from IMPEX ??

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI

I thought you could get big jugs of the Motul product from IMPEX ??
they only sell 505.01 (currently)

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I just received this 504.00 & 507.00 update:

<u>all</u> VW/AUDI models 2006 and later will be recommending the 504/507 products starting January 2006
Additionally, the ELF SOLARIS LLX 504.00 / 507.00 is on schedule to be the first 504 / 507 in the NA market. We should be able to order it directly from www.TDIparts.com before the end of August!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

SUNRG, thanks for the update. I believe the V10 and the R5 engines still must use the 505.01 oils...perhaps the "all" blanket statement can be used since the diesel Touareg is no longer for sale in USA. (Did y'all know the Touareg is made of plastic? I was in the body shop yesterday and they had a totalled V6 that someone was piecing back together for sale ex-USA. The gosh-darned thing is all plastic. I didn't tap on the roof but the other panels are non-metallic and the repair parts are hugely expensive.)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

... it appears that the 506.01 oils give me the greatest promise for improved fuel economy, better than 507 oils.

Ernie, I, too, had been wondering about this. Does the 507.00 oil claim to offer a similar "10%" reduction in fuel economy? I don't know if I've seen anything on that.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

... it appears that the 506.01 oils give me the greatest promise for improved fuel economy, better than 507 oils.

Ernie, I, too, had been wondering about this. Does the 507.00 oil claim to offer a similar "10%" reduction in fuel economy? I don't know if I've seen anything on that.
my understanding is that the Elf 507.00 does use IMF technology to reduce fuel consumption. generally, an A3/B4 oil (507.00) will not improve fuel economy like an A5/B5 (506.01).

in short, 507.00 will improve and 506.01 will optimize fuel economy. <font color="blue">no oil currently available will improve TDI fuel economy more than 506.01 - while still providing optimum engine protection</font>.

if your goal is to <u>optimize</u> fuel economy and engine protection while safely extending oil drain intervals with a full synthetic oil - 506.01 is the best choice.

if you want a full synthetic that will <u>improve</u> fuel economy, and optimize engine protection while safely extending oil drain intervals; or if you feel more comfortable using a heavier oil (507.00 is closer to 40 weight than 506.01 is) all at approximately a 25% lower cost than 506.01; or if you want to minimize emissions - 507.00 is the best choice.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

SUNRG, thanks. I figured that's what the deal was....bad news for Ernie as 506.01 is likely to be dropped.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

SUNRG, thanks. I figured that's what the deal was....bad news for Ernie as 506.01 is likely to be dropped.
508.00 will probably be a "fuel economy" low SAPS oil specification - and it'll be here before you know it...

relatively, motor oil fuel economy technologies and specifications are just getting going. they're not going anywhere and their future is bright

however, they cannot currently be used in all engines (who knows what they'll come up with in the future - we probably can't even conceive it today). our TDIs were specifically designed to use currently available FE optimizing oils (506.00/506.01).

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light
van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear
rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. <font color="blue">These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines.</font>

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

as of late June '05:

Agip Agip 7008 SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Agip Autol Carrera Longlife III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Aral Aral SuperTronic LongLife III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
BP BP Visco 7000 Longlife III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Bucher AG Motorex Profile V-XL SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Castrol Castrol SLX Longlife III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Elf Elf Solaris LLX SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Fuchs Fuchs TITAN GT1 Longlife III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Galp energia Galp Formula Longlife III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Mobil Mobil 1 ESP Formula SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
MOL MOL Dynamic Gold Longlife SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Pentosin Pento Super Performance III SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Repsol Repsol Elite Longlife 50700/50400 SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Shell Shell Helix Ultra VX SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
SRS Schmierstoff Vertrieb Wintershall ViVA1 SLV plus SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Statoil Statoil LazerWay LL SAE 5-W30 50400/50700
VAPS Vapsoil 507 00 SAE 5W-30 50400/50700
Zeller+Gmelin Divinol Syntholight 03 SAE 5W-30 50400/50700

The new big jugs have arrived:

TheRiverStyx

TDI
Jetta, 04, Green
Re: Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standa

Intersting thread, I have a 2004 PD and not being an engineer nor wanting to become one, can someone place a simple easy to understand ranking for the 3 standards out for the PD engines.

So far from what I have been reading between all the different rants about push rods and belts, the 506.01 standard seems to take first place, but how does the 505.01 and 507.00 compare to each other, would the price difference between the two be worth it? is there any reason not to use the 507.00?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Intersting thread, I have a 2004 PD and not being an engineer nor wanting to become one, can someone place a simple easy to understand ranking for the 3 standards out for the PD engines.

So far from what I have been reading between all the different rants about push rods and belts, the 506.01 standard seems to take first place, but how does the 505.01 and 507.00 compare to each other, would the price difference between the two be worth it? is there any reason not to use the 507.00?
no one has 507.00 in there PD-TDI yet in North America (that i know of), but it should improve fuel economy, reduce pollutant emissions and protect your engine better than 505.01.

click the link in my signature for just about all the info we have access to regarding these specifications.

DrewD

Veteran Member

Where can one purchase this new elixer?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg

This is all confusing.......

I am just getting ready to change the oil on the PD, as well as the 02 TDI. I would like to buy all one type of oil and stick with it. Ive been running Amsoil 10-40 (505.00) in the TDI and Delvac 1 the last change.

Am I correct to assume that the 506.01 oil will be my best choice for both cars? It is fully synthetic, no?

I am slightly hesitant about going to a 0W 30 oil, as the manual in the 02 car says to aim for 5W 40 grade, and the manual in the 04 car says nothing other than 505.01.

Or will 507.00 be just as good?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

manny, 505.01 and 506.01 are being replaced with 507.00. The 507.00 is 5W30 and will work in virtually all TDis - - it has become the new standard.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

yo mannytranny!

504/507 oils like Elf Solaris LLX 5w-30 replace, include and exceed <u>all</u> of the following specifications:
<font color="blue">500.00, 501.00, 501.01, 502.00, 503.00, 503.01, 505.00, 505.01, 506.00 & 506.01</font>.

your 02 and 04, and nearly any VW ever made, would <font color="red">LOVE</font> a 504/507 oil. it's leaps and bounds beyond anything we've ever had access to before.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg

Hey SUNRG, I just got back from Roanoke. Stayed at 'Hotel Roanoke' right there down town. I saw a blue golf TDI, wondered if it was yours. It had a small circular label under the "Golf" symbol. You? As I suspected, the weekend flew past, no time for a ride.......nice weather though.

But I digress (sorry for stealing the thread for a moment).....so there are only two companies that sell the 507 in the US. Motul and Elf, right? So which should I choose, and who can I buy it from?

Thanks!!

DrewD

Veteran Member

I just placed my order for 6 Liters from turbofrogperformance I can't wait to pull an oil analysis on the sample after 10,000 miles.