Wrong oil used in my Jetta TDI

noelchenier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello
First time poster on the forums.

So I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI last fall with just under 300,000 kms as I commute 2 hrs every day for work.

I've been taking it to Mr Lube to get oil changes done, mainly due to the convienience (the local VW expert garage closes at 5pm and I can't get there in time to get it in), but also because I am not mechanically inclined at all to do it myself.

Tonight I went, and the guy brought out a different oil than usual.

I said to him "Are you out of the Castrol Edge they usually put in?"

And he replies "That oil isnt the right kind for your engine."

So basically for almost 70,000kms I've been running the wrong oil...
Castrol Edge 5w40.
Guy showed me it didn't have the 505 01 rating. Even though I specifically made a point of asking for the correct oil for my TDI when I came in for the first oil change.

So...have I screwed my engine, or will I be okay?

Anything I should consider doing or watch out for in relation to signs there has been damage?

I realize that I should have done the right thing and not taken it to Mr Lube, but can't change that now.

Thanks

Noel

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nothing you can do about it now. There are a lot of Castrol Edge 5w40 oils: did the one he showed you have any VW certifications? If it's a 505.00 that helps.

Probably the worst thing that can happen is you've accelerated cam wear. But there's not much you can do about that now. If the car is running OK get the right oil in it and check the cam at your next timing belt service.

noelchenier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Nothing you can do about it now. There are a lot of Castrol Edge 5w40 oils: did the one he showed you have any VW certifications? If it's a 505.00 that helps.

Probably the worst thing that can happen is you've accelerated cam wear. But there's not much you can do about that now. If the car is running OK get the right oil in it and check the cam at your next timing belt service.

Thank you for the swift reply.

He showed me the Castrol Edge 5w40 bottle, it said 505, but no 01 or .01.
Didn't see any VW markings.

This looks like the bottle:
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...ic-motor-oil/castrol-edge/edge-motor-oil.html

It shows they have a Turbo Diesel varient, but they didn't have it there.

The guy put in an oil that had the 505 01 on the bottle, so I have the proper oil in now.
Needless to say, I won't be going back there ever again and will find a different place to get my oil changes.

Sorry, like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to cars.

Just had my timing belt done at around 316k, so it will be at least two years before I have to do it again. Should I get the cam inspected before that? Pretty sure the VW guys already know I'm a doofus...

Noel

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't sweat it. People have PD cam failures using the 505.01 spec oil too. If they had been using a 5w-30 oil, then I'd be concerned.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'd love to take a day and search this site to see how many people got screwed by taking their car to a jiffy lube type place. I'd bet it is in the thousands.

noelchenier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'd love to take a day and search this site to see how many people got screwed by taking their car to a jiffy lube type place. I'd bet it is in the thousands.
Probably.

When I was looking at buying it, I took it to a garage I trust to take a look at it. They said it was in great condition and that I should buy it, and then I asked.
"This is my first diesel. Anything really important I need to know?"

"Yeah. Make sure you put diesel in it..."

:)

Noel

noelchenier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
okay. so the oil that they put in last night was Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. It said on the bottle it's 505 01, but it's not listed on the latest techinical bulletin i can find.

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]https://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blogs/949/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Approved-Oil-List.pdf[/FONT]

Then I go on the mobil site, and here is what it lists for specs:

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]https://lubes.mobil.com/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_esp-formula-5w30.aspx
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
BMW Longlife 04
MB-Approval 229.31
MB-Approval 229.51
Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504 00 / 507 00
Porsche C30
Chrysler MS-11106
Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290/ B71 2297
GM Dexos

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA C2, C3
JASO DL-1

According to Imperial Oil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level:
API CF
Volkswagen (Gasoline) 502 00 / 503 00 / 503 01
Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00 / 505 01 / 506 00 / 506 01
All VW engines with the exception of Unit-Injector / Pump-Duse TDI without LongLife Service and without DPF between 1999-2003 and R5/V10-TDi before model year 2006.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

So I read that to mean that MOBIL feels it meets the 505 01 standard, but it's not officially approved by Volkwagen...[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Am I correct here?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

And if so...should I get the oil drained and filled with an approved one from the technical bulletin?

Sorry, I'm really stupid.

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Noel
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Still the wrong oil. You need a 505.01 oil. Many owners prefer to run a 5w40 over 5w30, but the 5w30s in this application are "heavy" oils, very close to the 5w40s.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE

There is a reason that my nickname for them is "Iffy Lube" .... ;)

noelchenier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Still the wrong oil. You need a 505.01 oil. Many owners prefer to run a 5w40 over 5w30, but the 5w30s in this application are "heavy" oils, very close to the 5w40s.

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]According to Imperial Oil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level:
API CF
Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00 / 505 01 / 506 00 / 506 01[/FONT]
[/FONT]

So even though they state they think it meets 505 01, it's not?

I called the local VW guy, who says he uses TOTAL.
But again, getting the car to him isn't easy....I bought the diesel for commuting, and my other vehicle is a Nissan Quest van that guzzles gas so I'd rather not use that. Plus my wife hates anything to do with cars and waiting...

He suggested I try the dealership in the city I work in, but when I called them and asked what oil they use, but the guy I spoke to seemed to not realize they needed to use a 505.01 in my car, which kinda makes me not want to go there....

Noel

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
"Quality level" and certification are two different things. Although many people here use a variety of oils that do not have VW certification, I have never seen any good reason not to use an oil that VW has actually certified.

If you get an oil extractor and filter wrench you can change the oil yourself in about 20 minutes. It's really easy on these cars, everything is accessible from top side.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Now i am just curious if i screwed up. I have been using (farm rated 5W40 diesel sinthetic) . It doesn't say anything on the container about being a 505.1. Am I good?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Now i am just curious if i screwed up. I have been using (farm rated 5W40 diesel sinthetic) . It doesn't say anything on the container about being a 505.1. Am I good?
The 04-05 Golf, Jettas, beetles have a PD engine with a BEW motor. These engines require 505.01 oil.

Your 01 Beetle (presumably this is what you are asking about) has the ALH engine.

From myturbodiesel's site: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/engine-oil-list-for-tdi-diesel/

Older TDI engines up to 2003 in North America could use more common diesel engine oil. VW 505.00, API CI-4, API CH-4, or API CG-4 all can be used in these engines in addition to pumpe duse approved oils. Listed below are synthetic oils that meet VW certifications in bold. This list is just a recommendation, responsibility for choosing the correct oil is up to you!

I suspect your oil meets one of those specs though it may not list 505.00.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if not what is one of the best oils I can get for my tdi?

With an ALH, you can use just about anything that is diesel rated - I'd stick to 5w40 / 0w40 synthetics, however.

If you don't need / want to stick to VW specs (VW 505.00 for the ALH), Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck have been popular is the past. I even ran one oil change with Rotella out to 15,000 miles.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Okay thank you, I must have missed the fact that it was a PD engine. I recently redid the tappets under the cam, so I thought maybe oil selection may have been why they had gone out. Thank you for answering my question, I just want to make my car last as long as possible.:rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This isn't complicated, although some folks try and make it so. If you want to be sure you're using the right oil, look for one that has VW's 505.01 certification on the bottle. And make sure it has the certification, not some dodgy language like "made for engines that require" or "designed to meet or exceed," or "at the quality level of."

Castrol, Total, Pentosin, Liqui-Moly, and others have oils that meet this spec. Few of them are available in retail stores. But the dealer has Castrol, and others are available online. Easy!

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Do you have Walmart or Canadian Tire anywhere near you?

Although Shell has not paid VW for a 505.01 certification, many people use Rotella T6 5W40 in their PD engine.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shell-rotella-t6-synthetic-dieselengine-oil-5-l-0287935p.html

I have been using it for years in my 2004 Golf TDI.

I have been using a dino 15w40 in my PD, I now have 250km and the original cam

https://www.bosslubricants.com/viewproductdetails/heavy-duty-extreme-diesel-engine-oils-api-cj-4

I have never been convinced that 505.01 was a magic oil, particularly when you read about all of the cam failures:rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have been using a dino 15w40 in my PD, I now have 250km and the original cam
Dino oil is a good way to coke the top piston rings. VW originally said dino oil was OK when they introduced the TDIs, but after rings got stuck and they saw increases in oil consumption they issued a TSB requiring synthetic in all TDIs.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Dino oil is a good way to coke the top piston rings. VW originally said dino oil was OK when they introduced the TDIs, but after rings got stuck and they saw increases in oil consumption they issued a TSB requiring synthetic in all TDIs.

I have heard this before, but to date (knock on wood) the engine has been flawless. No oil consumption, when I had the TB changed my mechanic said the engine was "spotless". In reality it doesn't matter to me personally, the car owes me nothing, if it dies I will replace it

My OCI is 6 months or 8000 km

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll give you a VERY good reason for using 5w40 synthetic - Winter starting and the delays in lubrication using the 15w40. This is besides IBW's point on coking the piston rings.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Not all 5W30 oils are created equal

I would not get too stressed about using a 507 spec oil in your PD TDI either. Here is my explanation:

It is my opinion that sometimes here at TDIClub we have a 'Knee jerk reaction' to the debacle that happened to many PD cars in North America because many incompetent dealerships put just a regular 5W30 (synthetic or not) in the cars and contributed greatly to premature wearout of the camshaft. Therefore we concluded: "as long as the oil you put in your PD TDI is 5W30 you are doomed" or something similar. To a certain degree this is an understandable reaction. But if we do some research outside North America, in the continent that has far bigger pool of PD engines on the road, Europe, we see that many of the TDIs over there with Pump Duse engines (with or without DPF) used or are using a VW 507 spec oil (which is technically considered a 5W30 weight) for a cumulative miles/Kms in the range of millions and millions without the premature camshaft failures that PD TDIs experienced here in North America. Why you would ask this is possible if the viscosity is 5W30 that we have to avoid at all costs. The answer, in my humble view, is that not all synthetic 5W30 oils are created equal. As many of you are well aware of this no doubt. For a graphical explanation please refer to the following from Lubrizol Relative Performance Comparison Tool (https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html) comparing the VW spec 505.01 vs the VW 507 spec oils:

Now please understand that I do not have an interest that you use a 507 spec oil vs a 5W40 505.01 oil or a 5W40 HDEO one but I wanted to set the record straight that when we arrive at certain conclusion(s) we do not based it only on the very limited North American dataset but that we should be willing to research the topic worldwide whenever there is relevant data.

For a more technical explanation you can look at this very interesting thread from a European VW/Audi thread (specially posts 12 and 16):

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-oil-for-2-0-tdi-cr-engine.276227/

Also you may refer to Afton Chemical Specification Handbook (www.aftonchemical.com), the section dedicated to the VW spec oils which shows the much more stringent RNT Wear Test requirement that the VW 507 spec has vs the 505.01 one.

okay. so the oil that they put in last night was Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. It said on the bottle it's 505 01, but it's not listed on the latest techinical bulletin i can find.
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]https://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blogs/949/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Approved-Oil-List.pdf[/FONT]

Then I go on the mobil site, and here is what it lists for specs:
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]https://lubes.mobil.com/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_esp-formula-5w30.aspx
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
BMW Longlife 04
MB-Approval 229.31
MB-Approval 229.51
Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504 00 / 507 00
Porsche C30
Chrysler MS-11106
Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290/ B71 2297
GM Dexos
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA C2, C3
JASO DL-1
According to Imperial Oil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level:
API CF
Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00 / 505 01 / 506 00 / 506 01
All VW engines with the exception of Unit-Injector / Pump-Duse TDI without LongLife Service and without DPF between 1999-2003 and R5/V10-TDi before model year 2006.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

So I read that to mean that MOBIL feels it meets the 505 01 standard, but it's not officially approved by Volkwagen...[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Am I correct here?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

And if so...should I get the oil drained and filled with an approved one from the technical bulletin?
Sorry, I'm really stupid.
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Noel
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
If the OP is looking for a VW 505.01 Spec 5W40, the local VW stealership may not be all that useful. I recently went to my local stealership looking for 505.01 for my 2005 PD. They gave me Castrol Edge Professional 5W40 with a 502.00 and 505.00 spec. They claimed the 502.00 replaces the 505.01 which is absolutely wrong. I asked to see the VW tech bulletin with this info, and all they produced was a photocopy of sheet stating that Castrol Edge Professional 5W40 meets VW spec 502.00, 505.00 and 505.01 spec, yet when you look at the bottle, the 505.01 spec is missing. However, there are lots of other good sources out there including the Pentosin from IDParts. Don't assume the stealership is giving you the proper information, do your own research.

My view is that some VW stealerships don't stock the 505.01 as there is a decreasing demand for this oil with the PD engines not having been made in 12 years, so they think the 505.00 is "good enough" and might help them sell some new cars, when camshafts wear. Funny, the juffylube place across the street had 502.00 505.00 505.01 Spec Oil, although it was a 5W30.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any CJ4 or CK4 rated 5W40 oil is going to provide excellent lubrication for the PD engines. Plus it's fairly affordable and available almost everywhere. That said, the 507 spec 5W30 is about as good a 5W30 as you could use. Personally, I'd just run the 507 oil out to 8-10k and then switch to CJ4/CK4 or 505.01 .

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I have heard this before, but to date (knock on wood) the engine has been flawless. No oil consumption, when I had the TB changed my mechanic said the engine was "spotless". In reality it doesn't matter to me personally, the car owes me nothing, if it dies I will replace it

My OCI is 6 months or 8000 km
Original turbo?

hajes

TDI
Skoda "Hilda" Octavia HR I
don't worry about it...oil specs are for idiots who have nothing to do than arguing about pointless stuff.

I would say all oils are same...their basic composition is same, they may have different additives for different designs.

I used VW 505.00 Mobil One 5W-50 because it is the only one oil that showed excellent heat properties at high temps...then suddenly VW 505.00 spec disappeared so I have found Liqui Moly stuff. Of course there is racing oils such as Motul 300V but it is same crap for 3x more money...useful for racing teams where +0.1% makes difference.

Just read tech sheet and you will find more than some useless VW specs...don't forget manufacturer recommends they don't force to use it.

VW suggests 5W30 that is already too thin for VW engines and they had problems with lubrications earlier. I always used 5W40 and never added any extra oil or head problem with leaking. My first car used to have over 300k on ODO...my latest is heavily abused with over 250k on ODO

More important than oil spec is correct interval:

5000km if short trips are made
8000km combined
12000km max if driven at least 100km trips

engine oil, filters, including air filter are cheap and most misunderstood.

Basically, any cheap/premium oil is good for 10k km unless you drive short trips with TDi...you would be surprised but there is still many confused drivers that believe TDi is for driving 100m to shop.

Oil lab tests of Mobil 1 5w-50 showed promising results with 13k km at full load racing fun. I have never seen better normal oil so far. LiquiMoly is no where near Mobil 1...I wonder about last Liqui Moly special oil...we will see in 3000km

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
don't worry about it...oil specs are for idiots who have nothing to do than arguing about pointless stuff.

I would say all oils are same...their basic composition is same, they may have different additives for different designs.

I used VW 505.00 Mobil One 5W-50 because it is the only one oil that showed excellent heat properties at high temps...then suddenly VW 505.00 spec disappeared so I have found Liqui Moly stuff. Of course there is racing oils such as Motul 300V but it is same crap for 3x more money...useful for racing teams where +0.1% makes difference.

Just read tech sheet and you will find more than some useless VW specs...don't forget manufacturer recommends they don't force to use it.

VW suggests 5W30 that is already too thin for VW engines and they had problems with lubrications earlier. I always used 5W40 and never added any extra oil or head problem with leaking. My first car used to have over 300k on ODO...my latest is heavily abused with over 250k on ODO

More important than oil spec is correct interval:

5000km if short trips are made
8000km combined
12000km max if driven at least 100km trips

engine oil, filters, including air filter are cheap and most misunderstood.

Basically, any cheap/premium oil is good for 10k km unless you drive short trips with TDi...you would be surprised but there is still many confused drivers that believe TDi is for driving 100m to shop.

Oil lab tests of Mobil 1 5w-50 showed promising results with 13k km at full load racing fun. I have never seen better normal oil so far. LiquiMoly is no where near Mobil 1...I wonder about last Liqui Moly special oil...we will see in 3000km
that mobil 1 5w50 is actually a cool stuff, im gonna use it on ALH next time