What's the opinions on

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
Yes i know this a VW forum but not much seems to happen in general auto so put it here..

An 06 RX8... apart from high tax ie 555 a year and high mpg ie 15-18 town and 20-25 max long trips. Anybody got or had one or knows anybody that has.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
RX8 is pretty far from what a TDI represents. It’s just a completely different car and driving experience.
The RX8 platform seems tempting, but it’s mostly the real-life version of clickbait. Used examples can be had pretty cheap. I’ve seen “decent” RX8s pop up for $3k on Craigslist. Unfortunately, like I said, they are a ruse.
While the engine is fun to buzz, they have a short life and lack reliability. A lot of people say this is because “people don’t know how to take care of them.” Translation: the rotary motors drink oil slightly slower than they drink fuel. People underestimate how often it will need the oil topped up and the motor often runs low.

A friend of mine had a ~2005 RX8 for a bit. He was skilled driver, and he made that car do some spectacular things, handling/suspension wise. It was slightly modified, but the suspension was mostly stock I believe.
I remember one time we weee going over a neighborhood speed bump at about 8mph. I don’t know what he did, but he flicked that car sideways and we rode over that speed bump about 75degrees cocked, like a wave in the ocean.
The interior also reeked of motor oil and most of the surfaces shined with oil residue. He kept a bottle in his drivers map pocket.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
My opinion:. NO!!!! Rotary's are unique because they literally reinvented the wheel but it's nothing I want to ever deal with...the thermal efficiency if horrible, the heat imbalance between the case halves and aluminum expanding as it does...I love the sound but German diesels are my limit of crazy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
At 2000

Yea I know they're totally different from things here, I had thought about one as a toy but think a bike's cheaper and can be more fun. Yes they get a bad rep for reliability but a lot of owners either know how or don't care about looking after them but you're also right in saying the engines sometimes don't last longer than about 60-70000 miles in some cases.

Then as I said above.... the tax ie might aswell say 600 a year (585 paying up) that's a bloody rip off but then again you're getting a rather unique car. But then are they unique for a reason ie to bloody expensive to keep and run.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The 'German Diesel' that we are so in love with, is I believe a mistake. It was for the most part overbuilt and the later ones( BRM onward ) are more representative of what was the design intent. Same goes for the early Dodges that got Cummins-es installed...:)

OTOH, if it were me, an early RX7 with a tuned up ALH and a 6 speed manual with long legs would be quite nice to live with. Same goes for a Miata...or for that matter, an MGB.
cheers,
Douglas