FS in Minneapolis, MN: 2006 Jetta TDI, mild modifications, all common problems fixed

i am sam

TDI
2006 Jetta
FS in Minneapolis: 2006 Jetta TDI 5-speed, 165k, no rust, all common probs fixed, $6k

I moved here last year from Colorado, and I believe I am effectively the second owner of this car (first owner traded it in, then it transferred dealerships, then I bought it with 85,000 miles on it). This car has been in Colorado all its life until June 2017 when I moved here. It has only been in one MN winter (last winter), and I kept it in heated underground parking in my apartment, and sprayed it off regularly.
I have performed very extensive maintenance and some modifications. The car needs nothing, and will probably need nothing for a very very long time (besides timing belts every 100k miles). I drive it to Colorado and Wyoming and back once a month (2600 miles round trip), and when I lived in CO, I drove it ~800 miles every weekend to Sheridan, WY and back. I average about 40-42 mpg every fill-up.

Maintenance performed:
- At around 100k miles I upgraded the faulty dual mass flywheel (which was failing) with an upgraded single mass flywheel and new clutch. This will last the rest of your life if you drive right.
- At 117k miles I upgraded the camshaft and lifters with a Colt Stage 2 camshaft and Colt nitride hardened lifters. I also put a head from a Passat on the engine with all new gaskets and seals, and larger Passat injectors. The camshaft comes with a 300,000 mile warranty, and will also last the rest of your life. I also replaced the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. The parts alone for this cost $2000 (the cam was $700).
- Regular oil changes every 10k miles with LubroMoly synthetic oil from Germany that meets the stringent VW spec (I order it from Ebay).

Upgrades:
- KermaTDI tune to increase boost, and take full advantage of the larger injectors and Colt camshaft. Tune upload tool is included with the car, where you can pick one of five tunes, or return the tune to stock.
- 2.5" stainless catless turbo-back exhaust (original cat converter system is included with the car)
- Removed EGR system and ASV system (the tune programmed them out as well, so no check engine light). With no EGR system, you get better power and fuel economy, and no carbon clogging of the intake.
- Heavy duty coolant circulation heater. This is a MUST in MN winters. The heater is 1000W and thermostatically controlled to 190 deg F. If you plug this in for three hours, it heats the engine coolant to operating temperature when it is -20 outside. Worth every last penny.
- Full engine/trans skidplate/protector made of 3/8" aluminum
- Koni STR.T shocks
- Tein springs
- Audi TT front control arm bushings
- Powerflex engine dogbone bushing
- 18x8.5 Audi A8 wheels (stock steel wheels and tires are also included)

Things to know:
- Because of the tune and injectors, if you step on it, you will produce some black smoke from the tailpipe, which is just the way diesel is.
- I only have one key, and the fob doesn't work. I bought a new fob, but it needs to be programmed either at the dealer or by someone with the VAG-COM tool (which I don't have).
- The title is currently held by the lienholder, Navy Federal, so when someone buys the car I can have Navy Federal release the lien and send the title to the new owner.

If you are interested, I work in Eden Prairie most of the day, and I am available at almost any time to step out of the office and show the car. I live in Rockford, but I usually don't get home until late evening.

Last edited:

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I don't normally like silver cars or mk5s, but the ride height and wheels on that car are just right. It looks awesome. GLWS!

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI