ALH 1.9L TDI swap to Porsche 914

9144me2enjoy

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I’m starting to put together what I need to complete a 1.9L ALH TDI swap into a Porsche 914. I have found a good donor car (2001 VW Beetle TDI-5-speed with 140K miles with new Timing belt etc.) The car the engine swap is going into is a 1973 Porsche 914. I’m hoping to be able to swap the engine and ECM computer, possibly the 5-speed transmission, Drive shaft after being splined for the 914 outer CVs. Possibly the throttle controls or possibly use a Boxster Cable Shifter. I know if I decide top use the VW transmission I will have to do some cutting in the 914 trunk area wall but another option would be to use the Porsche 901 trans with an adapter. I would like to keep the radiator possibly in the engine compartment. I will probably have to check around to find a smaller radiator but i think that would be ok since TDIs doesn’t take much circulation to cool. I will need to fabricate a engine/trans mounts possibly with a triangulation shape for more support. I would like to upgrade the ALH with a good tune, bigger injectors or nozzles, bigger turbo, air to water Intercooler, ARP headbolts, 3” Exhaust, EGR delete hoping to get the horsepower up to 190-225 range. Another option on the transmisison would go with a 108mm CV and a PAssat 01E 6 Speed Transmission FWD but I’m finding they are hard to find and expensive. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Had a 73 914 2.0 for 14 years. Was a lot of fun back in the day.

I was thinking about a 5 speed 012 from a Passat which are more affordable, lighter, etc. You could use a DVZ from a V6 gasser which are cheap (less than $200 or just buy a complete car for $500) for a test mule, but the biggest issue would be the shift linkage.

IIRC they used a version of the 012 in the boxster. I found this out when I was looking for synchros for my 5 speed 012, they share a lot of common components.

9144me2enjoy

TDI
2005 Passat TDI

I appreciate the input on the 012 trans from a Passat. Still researching my options and trying to keep it to a reasonable investment. Thanks Roy

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
IIRC they used a version of the 012 in the boxster. I found this out when I was looking for synchros for my 5 speed 012, they share a lot of common components.
You are correct, I recently did an IMS bearing replacement/upgrade on a Boxster and had to remove it to access the bearing. Looked identical to my Passat 5 speed manual.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Why not use the stock ALH Trans? The two are made to go together and for mid-engine, the wheels should be moving in the right direction.

9144me2enjoy

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Well pretty slow at the moment....haven’t found the ALH 1.9 TDI engine I’m looking for. Working on a couple prospects. Transmission will probably go with the 901 trans with taller 5th gears LSD or go with a VW Passat 5 speed longitudinal transmission with cable shift. Thanks for asking