Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
If you look at the Noack Volatility value for the Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP oil, it is hard to conclude that it is mostly Group III. The same can be said of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you look at the Noack Volatility value for the Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP oil, it is hard to conclude that it is mostly Group III. The same can be said of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.
Agreed. They both likely contain a large percentage of PAO base stock. There are plenty of group iii synthetic oils that will equal or outperform many group iv synthetic oils in our application anyhow.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I will look.

Th Amsoil in question probably is alot of PAO since it is $13 a quart and uses manufacturers OCI's. Amsoil's claim to fame is the 25k intervals and that's why the extra money for their top tier oils. They now also have lower price point oils that are class III and the price reflects it. This is equivalent to the other boutique oils, Red Line, Motul etc. except they use an ester/pao base. The Mobil info is even less forthcoming than the Amsoil as to what is in it. Synthetic base stocks is a catchall for many of these products and doesn't explain the type of base oils at all.

Last edited:

Maverickmod

TDI
'12 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Going to take a chance in posting this here as it is specifically Amsoil bypass related. Being interested at least in filtering particles smaller than engine wearing, have had trouble in finding resources for fittings and install pictures to go along. At least, no links I've been able to find with pictures uploaded that I'm still able to see, have had to find my own way to make the necessary connections. Should someone have such a resource, I'm game for it, until then, my specialty, modding it myself. This is what I've found so far.
Having seen this link http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-audi-oil-pressure-relocation-kit/
in discussions of relocating the oil pressure sending unit, in combination with this https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jd8q4ZcpgDWo7I_6dFUxXXZgpe-Qf-PC
I can build off of this part to make it more specific for what I want to do.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I will look.

Th Amsoil in question probably is alot of PAO since it is $13 a quart and uses manufacturers OCI's. Amsoil's claim to fame is the 25k intervals and that's why the extra money for their top tier oils. They now also have lower price point oils that are class III and the price reflects it. This is equivalent to the other boutique oils, Red Line, Motul etc. except they use an ester/pao base. The Mobil info is even less forthcoming than the Amsoil as to what is in it. Synthetic base stocks is a catchall for many of these products and doesn't explain the type of base oils at all.
Just an observation. The 25,000 mile interval is for the Signature Series synthetic oils specifically for gasoline engines and non-heavy duty use which I interpret as mostly highway driving and not towing either.

For diesel engines Amsoil says to go by the manual and/or do UOA to go beyond what the manual says (10,000 miles OCI for TDIs vehicles).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
For reference purposes: Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean lubricity improvement results

For reference purposes here are the lubricity improvement results by using Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean additive (from the Amsoil Fall 2019 magazine edition):

The lubricity test took the HFRR value of a D2 sample at 480 (wear scar in microns) to 350 with a treat ratio of 640:1 or 1 oz. per gallon. Here is the corresponding data bulletin:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3186.pdf

I thought it would be good to share this info so everyone can compare to other products with recent test results.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
That's correct Lightflyer1. It is nice to have recent lubricity test results as the ones published in the last few years by Optilube, Amsoil and Diesel Secret rather than 'recycling' the one some folks keep on posting from way back 2007!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
By the way, I do not think that it is coincidence that the average HFRR value for the state of Illinois is lower (better for lubricity) than the average of the other states since Illinois has a minimum mandate of I think 10% to 20% to blend biodiesel in D2.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Just wonding where everyone gets their info from. Sounds to to me a lot of people misinformed. Amsoil is a group IV oil yet someone had hinted at the low saps 5w30 is a III. Yes they have OEM type oils, but for the price difference I would use their top oils etc. As far as oils are concerned Amsoil far exceeds all others. For the Porsche how long did he run Mobil in before changing to Amsoil or did they run Amsoil from brand new.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Amsoil sells cheaper group iii blends now too. I wouldn't get too hung up on that group this or that garbage anyhow. What matters is how an oil performs in real world use. Boutique oils are unnecessary to reach ultra high mileages. This isn't F1.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Besides most cars will be sold or crashed or taken out of service for some other reason before you notice any difference between any high end oil vs any VW spec oil if even then. No use wasting money on something you will never see the difference from. Just an extra expense you throw down the drain. Especially if you are under warranty.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/lx4-lubricity-extreme/

I am trying some of it now. Don't notice any difference but didn't think I would anyway.
So I looked at their test results and I looked at Opti-Lube's test results of the XL and something doesnt jive.

According to Hotshot, their baseline fuel was 327µm/399µm and Opti-Lube XL tested at 308µm/369µm at the 1:512 dose.

According to Opti-Lube, their baseline fuel was 440µm/580µm and Opti-Lube XL tested at 220µm/260µm at the 1:512 dose.

So Opti-Lube shows a MUCH BIGGER improvement XL than HotShot does. Both tests were conducted using "pump" fuel.

I wonder who's cooking the numbers here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Moot point for me as I stopped using it. Back to just pump fuel with 5% bio. Opti-Lube sure managed to find some skanky pump fuel though if your numbers are correct. Even the Infineum fuel report only found a max of 526 in their testing.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Moot point for me as I stopped using it. Back to just pump fuel with 5% bio. Opti-Lube sure managed to find some skanky pump fuel though if your numbers are correct. Even the Infineum fuel report only found a max of 526 in their testing.
Unfortunately here in Vegas, we have no access to actual Biodiesel (I would love to be able to run 10% like I was when I was in California).

All of our pumps say UP TO 5% which, as you know, means anywhere between 0% and 5%.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good enough. A bunch of ours say that or up to 20%. I use any of them. Lately QT has been the lowest here and my last tank of theirs was pretty good economy wise and they were 5% or less.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I will just have VW replace everything as long as the warranty is in effect, if there are any issues. If I have any and the warranty is done, I might consider an additive then. To each their own. I guess I have more faith there is some bio content in the fuel I use.

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
So... I was going by memory when I scheduled my oil change for today. I had an ‘06 Jetta TDI but in August I bought a ‘15 SportWagen TDI. My dad has been sending me my oil for years and it’s been AMSOIL. I could have sworn that the 5w40 was VW 507.00, so that’s what I provided to the shop. Please tell that it’s ok to use the 5w40 for his one oil change instead of the 5w30. It is the European Car Formula at least...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it says improved emissions system protection on the front label, it's fine. If it says classic, it's probably still fine for a single use, just not ideal.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Amsoil sells cheaper group iii blends now too. I wouldn't get too hung up on that group this or that garbage anyhow. What matters is how an oil performs in real world use. Boutique oils are unnecessary to reach ultra high mileages. This isn't F1.
Had two cars over 300K on dino. Gas too and one is a Ford ha (still pulling a trailer daily).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

apbreaux

TDI
2009 Audi Q7 TDI
Just bought a 2009 Q7 TDI and am researching for my first oil change. I have found a couple that I think would be good, but am reaching out for some advice. The two I'm looking at:
Amsoil - European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil
(AELQT-EA)
VW Audi Diesel Oil Change Kit 5W-30 - Liqui Moly KIT-057115561M.9L, TopTec 4200

Any advice is appreciated.

TDI Greg

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I am an amsoil dealer so I might be a little biased, but Liqi Moly is a great oil too. I run Liqi Moly if I dont have the right Amsoil on hand. You could run which ever is cheaper or easier to get ahold of. You could set up your own amsoil account and always keep the oil you need on hand.;)

-Greg
Amsoil Independent Dealer No. 5692728

apbreaux

TDI
2009 Audi Q7 TDI
I am an amsoil dealer so I might be a little biased, but Liqi Moly is a great oil too. I run Liqi Moly if I dont have the right Amsoil on hand. You could run which ever is cheaper or easier to get ahold of. You could set up your own amsoil account and always keep the oil you need on hand.;)

-Greg
Amsoil Independent Dealer No. 5692728
Thanks, Greg. I run Amsoil in my Passat and Tundra. This is my first diesel powerplant. Learning the ropes and want to do it right. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. I'll keep doing some research and let you know which I go with.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Amsoil has released a new oil forthe VW 504/507 spec .

SAE 5W-30 LS Synthetic European Motor Oil

has anyone tried it ? has anyone compared their EA filter to the mann filters?
I believe the new products are for gasoline engines:

" The newly renamed AMSOIL 100% Synthetic European Motor Oil features new labels and two new products, SAE 0W-20 LS and SAE 0W-20 LS-VW, to meet the latest specifications from import nameplate manufacturers such as BMW and VW. "

The VW 504.00, 507.00 oil (AEL) does not look like it has changed:

"5W-30 (AEL): API SN; SM…; ACEA C3; BMW LL-04; Porsche C30; GM dexos 2; Chrysler MS-11106; MB 229.51 Manufacturer Approvals: * VW 504.00, 507.00"