Infineums 2014 Worldwide Winter Diesel Fuel Survery

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Very interesting and lots of information, thanks for posting this Lightflyer1.

US is on pages 136-147, and it's interesting the difference in the observed cetane numbers

East Coast - max 48 - mean 44 - min 39

Mid West - max 54 - mean 45 - min 40

West Coast - max 54 - mean 50 - min 41

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sticky thread for a while. Thanks for the info. :cool:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Very interesting. The spread in the HFRR measurements is a little surprising to me. Some scary high numbers and some shockingly low ones.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
The HFRR averages are surprisingly good. I wonder how a histogram of the actual values would come out.
So we do not need no 'stinking' fuel additives after all :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Very interesting and lots of information, thanks for posting this Lightflyer1.

US is on pages 136-147, and it's interesting the difference in the observed cetane numbers

East Coast - max 48 - mean 44 - min 39

Mid West - max 54 - mean 45 - min 40

West Coast - max 54 - mean 50 - min 41

West Coast is probably due to CARB Diesel formulations.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Everyone needs to remember the maximum HFRR wear scar should be 460 mu, not 520 mu.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is why I use stations with a bio component (at the pump) almost exclusively (0 to 20%). All the ones with 5 to 11% bio were under 200 HFRR scores. Not cold enough here for a winter additive and I have never found any water in the fuel since I started in 2005.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
On the right hand side of the data, there are multiple "DIES" columns.

What is that?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
On the right hand side of the data, there are multiple "DIES" columns.

What is that?

Sample IDs. Dies for diesel, 14 is the year, then a (normally) incrementing unique number.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
That is why I use stations with a bio component (at the pump) almost exclusively (0 to 20%). All the ones with 5 to 11% bio were under 200 HFRR scores. Not cold enough here for a winter additive and I have never found any water in the fuel since I started in 2005.
How is your CR Passat liking a diet of Murphy USA fuel with a minimum of 5% BD?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sample IDs. Dies for diesel, 14 is the year, then a (normally) incrementing unique number.
Would be a better report if they identified the brands and locations from where the samples were taken.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear that Lightflyer1. I tend to use Kroger fuel. No signs of BD so I had a few ounces of diesel additive just in case.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Looking at pour point and clouding ... Glad I skipped the "winter additive" and just said screw it fuel is already winterized, use a regular summer additive with max cetane and lubricity no need to pay for more anti gel.

Though I did add some white bottle when we had that November cold snap.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Its funny. Some third world countries have higher fuel standards than the US. I guess those countries are more interested in whats best for the community and the US is more worried about diluting the fuel as much as possible to yeild the highest profit margin for the producers.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^you got it! plus we gotta have it cheaper than (edit: almost?) everyone else!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Infineum 2018 Winter Diesel Fuel Survey

https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/2228/infineum-wdfqs-2018-v10-14112018.pdf

From the graphs for the US it seems Cetane levels are on the rise and lubricity levels (HFFR scores lower) seems to be on the rise. CFPP seems the same or somewhat improved.

I really wish we could get a breakdown by state so I can see how bad the Cetane & Lubricity is in AZ diesel vs CARB Diesel. I need to know so I can adjust my additive usage.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Even then you still wouldn't know which few stations they tested. It is just a very, very general survey. Probably less than a thousandth of one percent of available stations tested. But I do wish they would provide the names and locations of the stations they test, and if they test the same ones every year. It does seem to show at least some progress is being made over time.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even then you still wouldn't know which few stations they tested. It is just a very, very general survey. Probably less than a thousandth of one percent of available stations tested. But I do wish they would provide the names and locations of the stations they test, and if they test the same ones every year. It does seem to show at least some progress is being made over time.

Still, all California station have CARB Diesel so I could see the actual ratings for it.