Running in new camshaft

Paulb30

TDI
Passat
hi all,
I'm new to ur forum so would appreciate any advice. I have been working on my step-son's Passat -AWX engine (130) after the cam belt snapped. So far I had a FER approved shop skim the head and install new valve guides, seals and valves (4 bent and followers damaged). I have replaced the cam, followers, renewed the injector seals and replaced all bolts for cam housing and injector rockers and set the injectors. The cam and followers have been liberally covered in engine rebuild lube. I understand on first start up the engine has to run at 2000 to 2500 revs for 20 minutes and not allowed to idle.
The engine will have fresh oil, filter and coolant.
I'm concerned that the lack of oil and coolant around the head will cause damage. Should I remove the thermostat for the start up procedure?
Is the anything else I should do?
My plan for tomorrow is bolt the head down, install new water pump and timing belt kit and hopefully start the engine when all ancillaries are replaced.
Many thanks, paul

Paulb30

TDI
Passat
I forgot to mention I have replaced the cam bearings.
My other big concern is the turbo - I will prime it with oil but I'm worried there will be a lack of oil supply to it once the engine starts and is brought to 2k revs.

Has anyone on here done this work already?

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
After a few seconds there will be oil pressure. As long as you lube everything when you put it in, everything will be fine.

Paulb30

TDI
Passat
Thanks - had nightmare fitting a new rocker-cover today so just got the timing belt on before I ran out of time. I'll finish reinstalling pipes and wiring plugs tomorrow and try to start it.
Does anyone know if I have to change the oil and filter after 50 and 500 miles as recommended if renewing piston rings etc.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I did ours after 500 miles. I don't know for sure if it is required but it is a good idea.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I don't see a reason for an early oil chamge. The filter will catch anything that the new camshaft might shed.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
The two I've done I actually ran 2 quarts of a high zinc break in oil then dumped the oil after about 100 miles. Call me cautious but have seen way too many flat tappet cams wasted due to not breaking them in properly.

Paulb30

TDI
Passat
All done, cranked the engine with the injector loom disconnected to get oil pressure. Reconnected it and ran engine at 2.5 k revs for 25 minutes and then drove it for 70 miles and drained the oil overnight and renewed oil and filter the next day. Will do another change in a few hundred miles. Thanks for the replies