Changing left parking 12v, 5w bulb

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
After removing CAP on housing of M1 5w bulb, it is difficult for me to see bulb to access it to change it. Is there a simple way to do this or do I need a mirror? The Bentley manual refers to this bulb as the left M1 parking bulb. Thanks in advance.

WeLikeBlue

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Passat
You're talking about the "city" light, correct? (the little non-amber colored bulb)

BTDT. You have to pull the socket straight out of the headlamp housing. It's a press fit and rather tight. Once you do, replace with a wedge base #194 bulb and press the socket back in.

On a side note, when replacing the headlamp bulbs it can be difficult to exert the correct amount of pressure to twist-lock the socket back into the housing. If you press too hard, you can knock the reflector / projector off its adjustment pins...

Mikey2

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2002 grey
There is a small notch in the socket. I used to use a 4-5" nail and inserted the nail head into the indentation. As said, it requires surprisingly much force. A proper way would be to press the socket halves, but there is no access.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Thank you.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. Yes, that is the bulb.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
On a side note, when replacing the headlamp bulbs it can be difficult to exert the correct amount of pressure to twist-lock the socket back into the housing. If you press too hard, you can knock the reflector / projector off its adjustment pins...

This is exactly what I did. I followed the instructions set out in a forum thread either here or at another VW/Passat forums, and the driver's side went like clock-work. I was a little uncomfortable just tugging on the wires to get the city bulb out, but the bulb indeed popped out without too much effort. And the replacement bulb went in easy, sleazy. There were sorta 2 click/pops and it was seated in fine.

Then I did the passenger side and it was night/day PITA difference. First, the plastic sheathing around the electrical wires just crumbled in my hands due to age and heat, I guess, exposing all the copper wiring. That was fun taping up with electrical tape as an temporary fix. Not sure why the driver's side was different and didn't crumble. Then when I pushed the bulb back in on the passenger side, it only popped/clicked once so I gave it a harder nudge for the second notch and the whole headlight assembly pushed forward off the adjustment pins, and then pointed down. The headlight beam on the right side is essentially pointing at the pavement about 3 feet in front of the front bumper.

I purchased a replacement headlight assembly off Amazon for $50, and it came with 2 new H7 bulbs for the high and low beams and a new city light bulb. If I had known that before I spent the time, effort & add'l money for the 3M kit to buff out the haze off the OEM Hellas, I would've thought seriously about just replacing the whole headlight assemblies from the get-go.

The replacement Depo branded headlight assemblies get great reviews online. They are ~$75/side for non-CAPA (Depo part# 341-1109R-AS) and ~$110/side for CAPA certified (Depo part# 341-1109R-AC). If you click the "Used" link on Amazon, however, and then look for "Fullfilled by Amazon" they are selling brand new items that were returned in original packaging and re-taped up for $50. This for the CAPA-certified version.

Sylvania 2825 is the city light bulb. The SilverStar version is $6-8 for a pair on Amazon. Perhaps cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited: