Transmission just bit it at highway speeds!?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hopefully it wasn't like how mine went bang... Though it did not continue to make noise after that. Just one good bang and the PRNDL indicator went all backlit on me. Code stored for incorrect gear ratio. Turns out I only had 5th gear when in D.

Turns out if you tune your car, overload it with tools and tow all while driving it hard eventually breaks things inside the transmission.

Sheared the top off the "A clutch" drum right around where the groove is machined for the retainer ring that holds that clutch into the drum. As I looked at the clutch chart in the repair manual, turns out that clutch is required for all forward gears except 5th... That would explain it. heh

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
Erickson has rebuilt trannies for $2100.00.not sure if the rebuilt convertor is included,but probably not.2100.00 plus 250.00 plus labor and extras.new rear seal,fluid.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
They break even when you dont do those things, but I'm sure doing those things might speed it up.
Have you seen the A Clutch drum fail on these units before?

I figure for 260k miles and only ever having been serviced once in its life (under my ownership at about 220k--I bought it with 204k) it did alright. To me, automatic transmissions with more than 200k on them owe you nothing.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Here is the cause of the noise on Kevins car.

here is what the pan looked like.

Close up.

And the metal came from this bearing, allowing movement in the gear and broke teeth.

And this bearing allowed movement in the transfer gears and damaged them.

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
Will the metal shavings plug up anything? Can you flush all the shavings out of the cooler lines?

Bearings do fail. It sure was loud inside the car.

Thank you Richard. Your talent is appreciated.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The teeth didn't break because of the excessive play but because of largr pieces from the failed bearing got jammed between the teeth. The transmission was driven to death.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I don't know why, but I love mechanical carnage.

Must be the tinker in me getting giddy of the mechanical limits of engineering....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Upon attempting to flush the lines we couldn't get the cooler in the radiator to flow at all. Our customer ok'd replacing the radiator and this is what we found when we pulled it out.

you can see there is bunches of metal clogging it off.

Other fitting looked clear as pictured below.

We put in a radiator and trans worked great.

I would guess some failure shed off metal, and that metal clogged the cooler, then the lack of flow damaged bearings ect. Further pics of internal damage may follow if I ever get time.

make sure you always flush that cooler to clean out minor metal contamination and verify it flows. Lack of flow doesn't just make the trans run hot. The oil coming back from the cooler is used to lubricate planets, bushings and bearings. That is why his bearing on his transfer gears failed so catastrophically.

Last edited:

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
After seeing the plugged trans cooler inlet on the radiator in person would not inspecting this inlet port during a scheduled transmission flush be wise?

Richard thank you again for a great job on my car. My rebuilt auto shifts smooth and I am very happy. Good job!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
After seeing the plugged trans cooler inlet on the radiator in person would not inspecting this inlet port during a scheduled transmission flush be wise?
since yours was the first I'd ever seen I don't know how practical that would be. Its not easy to get to, nor easy to get apart.

Richard thank you again for a great job on my car. My rebuilt auto shifts smooth and I am very happy. Good job!
thanks for the kind words.