2005 bhw marine stand alone

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You need a method of being able to read an eeprom on the board, change the appropriate bytes and write it back. Spend some time on ECU tuning forums, it's all there.
Problem with taking the DIY approach to tuning is that the software to needed to access the ECU to do it correctly is in the $5000-$10,000 range.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I have made some good progress, i need to pick up some more materials before i can continue much further.
I still don't understand how to up load pictures here, the pictures i have do not have a url attached to them.
See link below for current build stage

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I'm starting to think about building my engine mounts and bellhousing/ rear mount.

Does anybody know where to find a cad drawing of the bellhousing so could take it to a lazercutter and get it burnt out. A 5.8L gass ford starter works for a forward mounted starter on the bhw. With a 3/8" plate it gives it the correct back spacing to engage the flywheel properly.

Thanks again for your insight!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Unless someone here on the forums has digitized it, it ain't gonna happen. Pretty sure VW/Audi considers CAD files proprietary.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Here is another question for you fabulous fanatics!

If the vgt turbo is the only thing vacuum operated on my engine. Do i need the vacuum ball or can i run it directly off the vacuum pump?

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
thank you for clarifying that for me, I'm just trying to figure things out on this engine as they present them selves to me

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you are going to run an electric vac pump, I would run a reservoir like the ball from an ALH engine.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Okay, thanks for responding sounds like the simplest method is to keep the ball, i think i just need to replace the electrical connections the wires are looking tired.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
It's been a while since i have needed help from this group. But I'm starting to look into drive line hook ups, and i am wondering what people have done for short drive shafts witha splined end, is a adapter plate the only option?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
What about a bell housing? I'm thinking front half of a transmission like the 5 speed in Jettas. Just the case and maybe the input shaft? Main thinking here is you need somewhere to mount the starter (and something on the engine to engage it). Do you need a clutch to disengage the drive line or not for a jet drive?

Jason

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I made a rear engine mount/ plate for starter

I just need something for the driveshaft, no clutch or transmission needed for a engine this small I the jet world

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand bolting the starter up, but what will it engage on the engine to turn it over? Like a ring gear on the torque converter or flywheel?

Then how about just a 3 bolt flange and attache it to the A/T flex plate? Maybe a drive line shop could balance it?

Just spit balling here, but what about an old pressure plate and weld or bolt a splined shaft to that? Use the flywheel to bolt it up and the started can engage the ring gear.

Ooo! Throw all that out - just bolt up a plate to the crankshaft directly and use a shaft machined to fit the center hole to center it up.

Jason

Edit: went looked again at your link - is that a GM flex plate with a ring gear? Or I'm forgetting how much different a Passat engine is from Jetta.

Last edited:

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
That is the factory flex plate that came with the engine.
I am thinking i will probably have a adapter plate made for a standard 4 bolt u joint but i am just sourcing out a shop that will help me out

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
How about the round flange of a CV joint? I guess the tricky part regardless is getting it perfectly centered and balanced so there is no vibration.

I was just thinking about the "bobcat" we had (by John Deere). Direct drive off the back of the engine with a rubber lugged donut between the flywheel and pump drive flanges. Of course a CV joint or U-joint will also allow more mounting options for the engine.

Jason

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Im starting to get closer to startup and i am a little torn, do i remove the whole VW fuel system before the pd pump and run a fass system that gives me the correct pressure(chevy) that have decent setups for pickup tubes and pump mounted externally.

Or do you guys know of a good external tank lift pump and keep the factory fuel filter?

Thanks again

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I started thinking more about gauges and i think the torque app with a dongle, i cannot seem to find solid info about a stock egt sensor. Be it in the echaust or not, i could always move it forward to the manifold, but do the b5.5 bhws come with a egt sensor. I only have something that looks like it may be a emmisions sensor (little steel probe with holes in it)

Thanks again

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
EGT sensor is standard on a BHW. It is on the back side of the turbo flange on the exhaust manifold.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
So, an app like Torque won't read it?
Correct - Torque, Dash Commander read OBDII data - BHW's Exhaust Temp sensor was not OBDII - only VCDS can read it.

Source - I have VCDS, torque, and ScanguageII. VCDS is the only thing that will read the Exh Temp sensor on the BHW.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Roger that. So, the OP will have to install an additional sensor if he wants to monitor EGT

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Is there a way to tie in the sensor so it cab be read through the same system or would i have to run justa external pyro like a autometer?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Is there a way to tie in the sensor so it cab be read through the same system or would i have to run justa external pyro like a autometer?
No, you will have to install another sensor. Any updates? Pictures?