The "What did you do to your B5 passat today" thread...

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Replaced the tandem pump and coolant flange. Only took about 6 hours!
That should take care of my coolant leak and hopefully the long starts!

Installed an Audi dimming rear view mirror last weekend!
d

ween

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Put in ANOTHER camshaft.

Tried to go with a Colt this time, but KermaTDI called, said they were out of stock. He offered a camshaft reground using the Colt profile, given the same hardening treatment, and the same warrantee. Since my car is probably already in its last legs, I gave it a shot. Let's see. (that's not the new one in the picture)

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Finally got my GMR working :) I have had this thing in and out of the car at least 4 times over the last few months. Tried piecing together one good one out of 2 bad ones. Took it apart and put all new clutch fiber kit in on all 7 clutch packs. Turns out in the end it was a bad valve body.

The symptom was, it would change to 3rd gear, but as soon as it would reach the correct RPM/speed for the TC to lock-up it would slip and then hard shift to 4th then 5th and then go into limp mode.

In hindsight I should have just sprung for the manual swap, but by the time I had that brain wave I was in too deep.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Put in the spare driver's side drive shaft as I noticed a bit of grease on the wheel. Yet another bad outer boot. Does anyone make one that lasts?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Clutch started slipping under load this week in my wagon on a long road trip. It was the european Valeo tdi spec clutch for the B5, and it made it 13k miles with Malone stage 2 tuning before slipping under load in 5th.

Talked to Jon at Southbend - going to get the Valeo clutch relined and PP reworked for just shy of $300 and will report back with the results. It'll likely be after the first of the year due to my travel schedule before I have time to remove the clutch and send to Southbend.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Clutch started slipping under load this week in my wagon on a long road trip. It was the european Valeo tdi spec clutch for the B5, and it made it 13k miles with Malone stage 2 tuning before slipping under load in 5th.

Talked to Jon at Southbend - going to get the Valeo clutch relined and PP reworked for just shy of $300 and will report back with the results. It'll likely be after the first of the year due to my travel schedule before I have time to remove the clutch and send to Southbend.
dogdots are you the first euro Valeo clutch slip? I'm happy to report the CM is holding well but it sure was a sock in the gut for price. Keep us in the loop with how the Southbend reline goes!

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
Replaced the Eibach shocks/struts with Bilstein HDs. They are very firm so far, but work nicely with the lowering springs and rear sway bar.

On deck will be an aero mod, then a Max Tank trip to Florida. I think the car is capable of a 930 mile/tank interstate run.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Replaced the Eibach shocks/struts with Bilstein HDs. They are very firm so far, but work nicely with the lowering springs and rear sway bar.

On deck will be an aero mod, then a Max Tank trip to Florida. I think the car is capable of a 930 mile/tank interstate run.
Report back on the mileage for the trip. I don't think my wagon is capable of anywhere near that distance...:(

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I polished up my yellowed headlights.
Elbow grease, a battery drill and a 3M kit and the look like new.
I gave them a coat of wax just for good measure.
d

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
My B5 gifted me three times today:
1) finally found my slow coolant leak- water pump. :( only 80,000km on it too.
2) outer muffler shell came off and dragged on the ground - helluva racket, but easy fix just tore it off.
3) boost hose from the turbo to the crossover popped a leak. It was an inexpensive eBay item out of China, lasted exactly a year. Yet another reason not to buy Chineseum.

Now I have to weigh doing just the water pump or the whole belt... Sigh.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Windex is having fun ^ :)

My last remaining B5.5 with the ZF auto lost reverse yesterday. This one my mother-in-law drives, so a quick trip over with one of my spare Jettas keeps her mobile and the search just got serious for a nice Touareg :(

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance rework of my new Valeo clutch kit that was waiting to go in another swap got installed in my wagon yesterday. I'll report my results after break in :)

After break in, if all goes well, the clutch, flywheel, and pp that started slipping in my wagon will be sent in to Southbend for re-work so I can move forward with my next swap. I now have 2 Passat Sedans awaiting swaps, one I purchased last year and my mother-in-law's that suffered loss of reverse around Christmas time.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
000 998 229A convenience turn signal module, its separate from the CCM. It looks like a large relay, it has electronics for both left and right turns. It wires into the hazard switch, pull the radio pop the hazard switch and your ready to go. I have the pin out if you decide to go for it. You have to remove some of the existing pins from the hazard switch connector, I use a paper clip, I straighten it out then hammered the ends, pins came right out. You change out 7 wires and its ready to go

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Afarfalla - if you wanna post the diagram that would be great. I have had a Komfort module for several years and forgot I had it. I would like to install it in my wagon. I really like the 3 blink feature in my Touareg :)

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
if you get hung up let me know...I pulled the case that the radio sits in, 6 screws, then up to the left is a large tie wrap, I put the module in that bundle, fit fine, the tie wrap is reusable. I put insulation around the module for noise

Last edited: