Range on keyless remote?

dieselride

TDI
Jetta, 98, black
The range on my remote sucked since day one. I get about 20 feet at most. I've check the standard things, battery, second remote etc.

Anyone else expriencing this problem?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yup, on both of my remotes.

Kinda strange, but if you point it into your open mouth, it increases the range. Stupid, but it works.

Sleet

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 98, black
I had a friend who would hold his remote by his neck point it up into the "V" of jawbone. It about doubled his range. I Have No Idea How or Why... but I wouldn't mind knowing.

I always thought he was a loud mouth....

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I have noticed that holding my remote to my chin makes the range really good. It can go 6 rows in a parking lot! And it still has it's original batteries!

-J

dieselride

TDI
Jetta, 98, black
It's good to know I'm not the only one. I also use the skull antenna, works well but the horn/panic button is basically useless when I'm in sight of the car. I envy my wife, she has a range about a block on her vibe.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just for curiosity I checked mine and I get at least 50' in a straight line of sight distance.
Is the year of the car or the remote maybe an issue?

I should add I did not try the TONSOLECTOMY or the SCULLDUGGERY method, just held it in my hand.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Jetta Pilot...you have an A4...different system, better range. I improved my range a bit with a mod I saw over on the tex once. Is it worth it? Not really, but I did it as I was fiddling one day anyhow. What you do is pull out the cruise control module...it also has the antenna for the key fob reception. Pop the casing open, and attach a wire to the coiled antenna. Drill a small hole in the casing to get the wire out of there. Now, string the wire over to the radio and connect it to the center wire of the antenna. Yeah, so that means the car's antenna now receives your signal. I haven't had any reception issues to date. My batteries are 2 years old, and depending on conditions, I get a reasonable range...but only with the 'chin-range-extender'.