General tools needed for....?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Guys (and gals)

I'm looking to purchase a set of tools that I'll need for general maintenance of my 2012 TDI. Not much help with getting the information of WHICH tools are most useful from the dealer, so any of you have any good directions you don't mind pointing me in when it comes to a tool set?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Check with metalnerd for timing belt tools, VCDS Hex-Can from ross-tech.com, a decent metric set of deep and shallow sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drives, 4, 5,6,7,8mm allen sockets, T20, T25, T30, bits on some sort of driver, Screwdrivers, prybars, etc...

The rest of the stuff, you'll just have to wait till we figure out what you'll need... you've got a very new car, that most of us haven't even touched yet...

Oh on the timing belt, you'll need one or the other crank tools from the PD, tensioner tool, counterhold tool, and two camshaft locking pins... I'm sure I'm missing something...

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The most useful tool on most TDIs is Ross-Tech's VCDS. Buy that and a cheapo netbook to use with it up front.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think most of us sort of collect tools. When we need one we buy it.
Sometimes it's more fun that way unless you're in the middle of doing something. I've had good luck with my Craftsman metric sockets and combination wrenches, but then you will eventually need to purchase some specialty tools from one of our on-line vendors when the time comes.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
if I were you I would've started with the basics, good socket set (shallow and deep), torque wrench, open ended spanners, a driver set containing torx, hex etc bits, assuming you are starting to build a set of tools.

Get yourself VCDS (CAN+Hex) asap, and leave the speciality tools to buy as you require them...

Oh, yeah, get yourself a remote clip plier, I can't live without it!!! And a flexible inspection light...

Tools are the coolest things to buy, wife will not understand why I need three socket sets...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Sooner or later you will also need a set of XZN (Triple Square) bits. These are similar to Torx, but 12 pointed instead of 6. These are used extensively in many German cars.

Have Fun!

Don

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Basic metric tools, Standard tools that are used for everything else like jack stands, ramps, etc. From there make sure you read up on the job before doing and order tools with parts as needed. Triple square can be had cheaply at an auto parts store (some carry, some don't). Metalnerd will take car of most of the rest of your needs but not all (i.e. wheel bearings-I used Sir-B90 kit but others Harbor frieght). Then there are others. Again depends on how deep into a job you go.