Source for 7.3mm ID Viton hose?

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Hi! So, I've been searching real hard online for 7.3mm ID Viton hose (for fuel line originating off the fuel filter on an '06 Jetta), to no avail. Does this stuff exist at that size? Can anyone point me to a source for it? Thanks!

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Correct, and according to the spec for that fuel hose at IDParts, it's 7.3mm ID (and I wouldn't want to risk that extra 0.3mm might make a significant difference).

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, both! McMaster was going to be my last resort, but if that's where I need to go, that's where I need to go.

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
The Gates is intriguing, but seems to be available retail only in Europe. (The Gates catalog doesn't even have it under VW Jetta parts, and when I use their Locator, all that comes up are distributors. When I Google Gates Barricade 7.3mm, all that comes up are forums and UK and DE retailers.). If you know a specific retailer in the U.S., please share. Thanks!

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
The Gates is intriguing, but seems to be available retail only in Europe. (The Gates catalog doesn't even have it under VW Jetta parts, and when I use their Locator, all that comes up are distributors. When I Google Gates Barricade 7.3mm, all that comes up are forums and UK and DE retailers.). If you know a specific retailer in the U.S., please share. Thanks!
Napa sells them with their name on the package. 2' sections. The hose is labeled by Gates.

I got mine from RockAuto. GATES Part # 27335. The price is $3.54 per foot, in 2 foot sections. I have it on both our BEW and BRM

Note, that is 5/16" which works out to 7.9375mm. It fits perfectly on both vehicles.

Last edited:

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
The PFA turned out to be a "wash": too stiff--crimps when bent, and can't really be hose clamp sealed; going to have to return.

@poormang45: how long (miles) have you had them on your cars? What biodiesel blend are you using? At NAPA, are they "in front of" or behind the counter? Do they specify the material on the box, or how do I specify? Just ask for Gates barricade and they'll know what I'm talking about?

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
The PFA turned out to be a "wash": too stiff--crimps when bent, and can't really be hose clamp sealed; going to have to return.

@poormang45: how long (miles) have you had them on your cars? What biodiesel blend are you using? At NAPA, are they "in front of" or behind the counter? Do they specify the material on the box, or how do I specify? Just ask for Gates barricade and they'll know what I'm talking about?
It looks like the price came way down! I believe this will be a behind the counter item.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Injection-Hose-3125-/_/R-NBGH349A_0006447045

*edit* I'm a little confused as this looks like the same product for 3x the price:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Injection-Hose-3125-/_/R-NBGH344A_0499079933

*edit2* I found the difference. The first link is a 25ft spool. The second is a 2ft clamshell package. I used 3 of the 2ft clamshells for mine.

I've had it on the BEW for ~8k miles. I changed all the lines when I put in the Nicktane 2u Cat filter.

I've put B5, B20 and B80 through the lines. They're rock solid.

Last edited:

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like the price came way down! I believe this will be a behind the counter item.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Injection-Hose-3125-/_/R-NBGH349A_0006447045
*edit* I'm a little confused as this looks like the same product for 3x the price:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Injection-Hose-3125-/_/R-NBGH344A_0499079933
*edit2* I found the difference. The first link is a 25ft spool. The second is a 2ft clamshell package. I used 3 of the 2ft clamshells for mine.
I've had it on the BEW for ~8k miles. I changed all the lines when I put in the Nicktane 2u Cat filter.
I've put B5, B20 and B80 through the lines. They're rock solid.
Thanks. I decided to go w/ the Viton from Duda (thanks oldpoopie!) Oh, and for what it's worth (which is a lot IMO): McMaster-Carr refunded my money _without_ my having to return the tubing, so if anyone wants it to experiment w/, it's yours for the price of shipping!