Engaging/Disengaging Choke Lever

mrd

Have a quick question...

When is it a good time to push the choke back (disengage the choke)? I usually push the choke lever back in after the car reaches it's normal operating temperature.

I was also wondering what would be the effects if one were to drive with the choke always open?

fyi. I have a '97 Golf

Thanks in advance for any help!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Ah the old days, if my mind remembers correctly it was actually a timing advance on the injector pump. Used for keeping the motor running on cold days in the old models. I think I had one on both '78's and on my '83 TD jetta. Left it pulled by accident a few times too.

Sam 24 days and counting (JetWagTDIGLS)

Diesel Freak

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Gal Blue
Hey MRD!

I dunno if it is anything like my grandmothers 1977 diesel rabbit- i always called it the choke. Pull it all the way out to start when it's cold in the morning, and run it half way till you've driven awhile and push it all the way in. (just like a choke) I've pulled it out when the engine was warm and the engine coughed/sputtered and ran like crap, not to mention more soot! im no expert here but i'm quite sure that if you ran it with the choke out all the time- the car would run crappy/poor fuel mileage and eventually break something as it was not designed to run like that

just my opinion and 2 cents

[ March 06, 2002, 19:45: Message edited by: Diesel Freak ]

mrd

Hi again...

the non TDI diesels have a choke lever (or at least to my knowledge that's what it is called!). When I start my car I pull a lever which is located to the left of the steering wheel. I think the TDI's have done away with this lever.

thanks again.

S

SkyPup

the mechanical pumps have a manual fuel enrichment device for cold start-ups, but as far as "Choke" goes, that is strictly a gasoline engine term since it involves restricting air flow through the intake to make the fuel-air mixture richer.

Diesels do not have any intake air restrictions.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
mrd,

Whatever that lever/device is, there's probably someone around these forums that knows and can answer your question. But, why not consult the owners manual to see what it says about what it's for and what constitutes recommended operation of that device. I wonder if it could possibly just be a throttle advance like I had on my old MB 240D? Good luck.

-Mel