Tacho 2.5 reading PIN and programming key

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
I think, if you follow the directions correctly and with a proper vag-tacho cable, you'll be fine. I've never had it "not" work correctly. I've done it maybe 15x or so.

Regards,

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Why would I need a vag Tacho cable? I thought that was only to find out what the SKC pin was. I already have it.

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
Just to ensure you have the correct SKC. You might need to redo the SKC check to verify you have the correct one. If you have the immo bypassed you've got no idea if you have the correct SKC yet.

If you're sure you have the SKC then you should be fine, by programming identically to the way the instructions show.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If you think you have a good SKC you can try the login to the cluster with VCDS. It either works or it doesn't

RaeTran

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, manual trans
I can't afford $280 keys!

:confused:I have lost my keys (I have none- only had one fob to begin with) and need to have new ones made. I have a friend at a dealer who can give me the keys for cost but he is not in proximity for me to get them programed there. Is there any way to get the new keys programmed without going to the dealer around my home and paying the ridiculous fee for 20 min worth of work? I live in PDX.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
:confused:I have lost my keys (I have none- only had one fob to begin with) and need to have new ones made. I have a friend at a dealer who can give me the keys for cost but he is not in proximity for me to get them programed there. Is there any way to get the new keys programmed without going to the dealer around my home and paying the ridiculous fee for 20 min worth of work? I live in PDX.
Any chance you have a close up picture of the key blade?

http://www.sidewinderkey.com/

RaeTran

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, manual trans
Unfortunately no. If I get a key cut can you program it? A friend works for a dealer and can get me keys for cost, he said. But I need to get them programmed.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Key

With registration, driver's license, and proof of ownership, the dealer will be able to give you the key code. With the key code, you can have the key cut. Your problem does not end here. Because your car has Immo 1, you will need to have the chip in the key programmed. Your cost to buy software for programming will be more than having the key programmed by a dealer or stealer. So you will be better to go to the dealer for both programming the key and the remote.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The dealer does not give out SKCs. First you will have to have a key cut by VIN since there is none of clone. Hope that no one changed the locks or you will be SOL. Once you have that, you then will have to program by either towing the car to the dealer or finding someone with vag-tacho and have the SKC pulled from the cluster. Once that is done, simply use VCDS to adapt the key and the car should start.

This is exactly having only one key is such a bad idea. If you loose it, you are in a world of trouble.

Edit: didn't realize the thread is 6 months out of date...

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
For anyone in the Phoenix area that needs to read their SKC, send me a PM and I can probably help you.

MVP

Jpontiac68

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 5 speed manual galactic blue w/ 101k miles
and is anyone here a newbie cuz i hate being classified as a newbie