Will Start With the choke but not with out.

steezeridah

TDI
97 Jetta
Hey guys! first i would like to thank everyone for the info on getting air out of my fuels line (bought the mityvac tottally worth it). But now after that my 97 Jetta wont start without idle and even still it will hold an idle about about 900RPM but if i push the choke in it shuts down! But when driving in low rpm the engine is not very resposive when pressing on the gas but performs GREAT when cruising at a normal pace.
Any advice or input would be AMAZING
thank you so much

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Get it to a GURU and let him check it out. TIming is likely off, the intake may be clogged and diesel engines DO NOT have a choke.

Bill

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
40x40, he has an old IDI motor. There is a cold start handle, pulling it raises the idle speed and advances the timing.

Those 1.9TDs have problems with the crank pulley moving. I'd get it looked at ASAP to avoid expensive damage.

-Jason

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
compu_85 said:
40x40, he has an old IDI motor. There is a cold start handle, pulling it raises the idle speed and advances the timing.

Those 1.9TDs have problems with the crank pulley moving. I'd get it looked at ASAP to avoid expensive damage.

-Jason
Jason,
Yep, I agree. When he puts the 'cold start' handle into the run position the engine dies, therefore the timing may be off.
This engine may be on the verge of expensive repairs if not looked at by a guru ASAP.

Bill