Stretch Bolts for water pump/ water pump change.

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
i read thru the bently for a few days getting ready to change my water pump. I got the pump / housing from autohaus the o rings are in there but in the bently it says do not reuse the stretch bolts that attach the pump to the block. Do i definitely need new bolts or can i reuse? I mean i know the correct answer but i guess i'm asking if anyone has reused them with/ without a problem. I can order them from vw but thats going to delay the job a few days. Wish i had oldpoopie do this with my timing belt a few months ago, oh well live and learn.

Hopefully everything goes well and i can actually pull this off, any personal tips would be appreciated...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The first thing to try is to remove the impeller part from the housing on the car. If that comes off without the bolts breaking off in the housing, then you can just replace that part and not mess with the rest of the housing. If you've got a leak from the housing to block connection or bolts snap off, then you're into a lot more work. I have known several cars that reused the bolts without a problem. They're not high torqued bolts as I recall.

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
so even if i already bought the whole pump and housing your would recommend trying to get the impeller shaft off first? I guess that would be a hell of alot easier.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes. It is often cheaper to buy the entire assembly than just the impeller part anyway from most part suppliers. But if you can accomplish the task without replacing the housing attached to the block, you'll save a lot of effort.

The difficult part of this approach is that a couple of the small bolts are obstructed by the intermediate shaft pulley. That is driven by the timing belt. You'll have to find a way to work around that, or be prepared with timing belt procedures and tools if you remove the pulley from the intermediate shaft. Working carefully you don't have to replace the timing belt, just keep the belt on the cam, pump, and crank pulleys.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The bolt for the large Idler is in fact a "Stretch Bolt" the pump bolts as far as I am aware are not.

DB

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I looked it up. Bolt for the intermediate sprocket is tightened to 45Nm, but not a stretch bolt. It does say the pump to block bolts are 20Nm + 90 degrees and renew.

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
i had a question about in-lb. it says to torque the used v belt to 4nm (35 in-lb) so that means use the newton side of the wrench? I have never used a torque wrench until this weekend so excuse the stupid question. I understand the ft-lb, but the book is confusing me giving the reading in nm and in-lb.