TBOxnitemare's 96 TDI

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
I have so many things to do I thought I'd post up a build thread and see how others think or have input.

1996 Passat TDI - Purchased for $1,400
When I started
-97k on the cluster, however it has been changed as it reads unleaded fuel only so mileage is unknown and tachometer is off by quite a lot.
-Badly neglected maintenance except oil changes. Started in 0 degree weather after 20 seconds of cranking so I believe the glow plug circuit is having issues. Tests to come but putting that off since its above 60 now and starts up right away.
-Antifreeze is GREEN! You read that right, green.
-Soft brakes and completely useless. Grateful I had one e-brake left on the right side to get it home.
-Small rust spots, to be repaired later. A small mount of faded paint as well.
-Interior in great shape.
-CB radio in dash. Must come out.
-Upgraded stereo with 2 12" subs in the trunk.
-Unpredictable torque steer and pulls all over the place.
-Limp mode + no turbo.
-Brake fluid a decent color and clear.
-Idles at a good range and no misfire.
-Exhaust cut off 2 feet behind turbo. Probably wont change as I'm in an area without testing.
-Good tires just a tad dry rot.
-Not charging! 12V with a fresh battery but will not charge.
-Major oil leaks.
-No idea when last TB was changed.
-Saggy suspension.
-Engine vibration is terrible, even for a TDI.
-Bouncing tires over 40 MPH.
-No heat and a cable operates the blend door.

That's the bad but I promise it gets better!
Done list will be posted next. :D

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Done or fixed list
-TB changed (Gates belt, kit from IDparts) Went smooth and timing is perfect, to be checked with VAG COM when I can locate or buy one.
-Water pump with upgraded metal gasket. Pump must have been original! I broke 3 bolts trying to remove but got them all out. The bearing was a little wobbly.
-2 harmonic balancer bolts broke, but got those out after some thrown wrenches and a few beers. New harmonic balancer and hardened bolts installed with TB.
-Thermostat replaced with TB. Emptied out all of that terrible green coolant and replaced with pink 13++ after 10+ flushes and cleaner. This also fixed my heat issue.
-Fuel filter changed out. Old one was very nasty not sure how old.
-Fuel system lines not leaking but cracked so I picked up some fuel lines and replaced them from the firewall forward. Also deleted the 5th injector while I was at it.
-Valve cover gasket replaced when TB was done. Noticed the EGR was weeping.
-Removed the intake, about 1/4 of gunk was covering the inside. I attempted the burn out method but my little torch was not enough for this task so instead I soaked it in degreaser for 3 days and cleaned it out with a screwdriver and rag. Almost like new! Reinstalled with new gaskets and bolts. I stripped 3 of the old ones but they came out with a 12mm 12 point deep-well.
-Removed all of the intake/turbo tubing because they were coated in oil. These also got degreaser bath. Look brand new now! Possible turbo seals going out so I'll keep an eye on the oil level and replace the turbo when I have the money.
-Drained the intercooler of oil, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 quart! I'm guessing its never been cleaned out and was hindering the turbo performance. I'm lucky it didn't run away on me! Considering installing a bleeder valve but I'll look at that later.
-Checked out the brake issue. 3 of the calipers were locked up and not functional but the pass rear was in good shape and not leaking. Replaced all of the rotors, 3 calipers, and all 4 have new pads. The old caliper wouldn't bleed so I had to drill out the hole but works great now. Bleed the system out but still had some spongy brakes so replaced the master cylinder and all the lines from the engine bay out to the calipers. Problem fixed! Strong brakes and I'm grateful.
-While car was up in the air I investigated my unpredictable tire path and my lower bushings were destroyed. Replaced them with Polyethylene bushings from Energy Suspension and I highly recommend if you're looking for tougher bushings. Also replaced the lower ball joints and tie rod ends while I was at it. Inners were fine and had no play.
-Wheels balanced. Glad I made this choice because the front left was -2 off and all the others were off by a little.
-Motor mounts replaced with the Stealth Kit from Black Forest Industries and I love them. Slight vibration but not unbearable.
-Air filter replaced with TB.
-Installed a different mod from josh8loop. He posted about a cyclone generator air / oil separator and I loved the idea. Using BMW part # 11.15.1.705.237, the same one josh8loop used and it is great. I also used his idea to add a little steel wool to the inlet line (Chemistry genius.) Mine is installed off the puck out line with a 90 elbow and sits zip tied to the intercooler lines. My favorite part is the catch can is made out of a Diesel Purge can! I cut a big hole in the lid and epoxied it to the separator. Now my catch can screws on and off and rests on top of the lower coolant line to stay warm and keep from vibrating to much. Great job josh8loop.
-Replace windshield wipers and puck grommet attached to the valve cover, mine leaked a bit.
-Replaced the alternator. The old one was shot and way to small. PO put a 70 amp in when it needed to be a 120 amp. Also noticed my exciter wire was shot so I made a new circuit for that as well.
-Installed my new exciter wire circuit by using a six switch box and also used it for my voltmeter and oil pressure gauge. I ran the gauge lines at the same time as the exciter wire with protective tubing. The switch box is powered direct from battery and switch 1 is used to excite my alt at every start up, just flick it on and off. Circuit goes from 12V+ - switch - diode - alt.
-Replaced original cloth seats with leather ones from a 93 Passat and they are heated! Heated seat circuit to go in this summer as its warm out now.
-Removed that ugly CB radio and took out he wiring for it.
-Cleared my codes! Replaced the MAF sensor code p1144 and my other code was a Temp sensor short to B+. Fixed this by adding two 220 ohm resistors to both sensor wires at the connection point and cut out the sensors.
Update 04/27/2018
-Driver side wheel bearing and hub installed. FAG bearing and Meyle hub. Total nightmare and took me 6 hours. The hub would not let go of the bearing but finally beat it out with a socket and 2 lb hammer.
-New Bilstein struts, Meyle springs, Febi bumper, Meyle strut cover, CPR bearing and mount installed. Raised the car back up 2 inches and it rides much better.
-String alignment until I can complete passenger bearing and hub. Has a slight wobble left and right but no wobble up and down.
Update 04/29/2018
-Picked up some power steering fluid 202 and plan to do that this week.
-Greased the windshield wiper hinges. Now they press firmly against the windshield and no more streaks! I thought it was the springs but the hinges were very rusty and white lithium grease fixed it right up.
Update 04/30/2018
-Flushed the power steering out, the old stuff was a nasty brown color! Fresh green CHF 202 run flushed thru the system. I used about 2 cans.
-Emptied out the intercooler and it was full of oil after emptying it 500 miles ago...time for a new turbo.
-Found out why my glow pugs don't work. My harness is broken and cracked. Also not attached to two different glow plugs. Time for a new set. I'm grateful its warm out so this can wait.
Update 05/01/2018
-Parts ordered for the turbo. I figured I would make a few reliability upgrades as well. I have the stock turbo oil feed line that runs from the head to the turbo. I've decided to replace that and found the one that runs from the filter housing around the block. Ordered from KarmaTDI part # 0281457771BC. My vehicle must have come with an EGR cooler stock but the PO replaced/removed with a normal line. Stock turbo K03 from KarmaTDI as well. Very excited for this new set up. I also decided to re-due the turbo oil return line as well to eliminate the banjo bolt. Picked up the line and adapter from ID parts, last one in stock! Turbo replacement next week and plan to post a DYI thread as I can't find anyone who posted a full write up.
Update 05/08/2018
-I finally got all my parts in for the turbo but it was dark out so pictures didn't happen. I removed the exhaust manifold, downpipe, and old turbo. I've cleaned up the exhaust manifold and the contact points are nice and shiny. New turbo is installed onto the manifold, I changed out the Turbo Feed line for a KarmaTDI steel braided line that comes off the filter housing. Much needed improvement from the stock location at the head. Also upgraded the Turbo Return line to the 97+ version without the Banjo bolt. So many clean silver parts getting put on! Plan to put the vehicle back together after work today.
-My vacuum lines are all full of oil so I've ordered new lines from McMaster and the fuel return lines from the injectors as well. I also picked up a new N75 because I'm sure this is faulty as well after oil running through it for who knows how long.
Update 05/11/2018
-I finished up mounting the exhaust again and new feed line and return line also installed. Before reinstalling the intercooler piping I'm waiting to get my N75 in. New vacuum lines are in but waiting on the N75 to do it all at once.Can't wait to put the rest back together and see how she runs.
Update 05/25/2018
-New vacuum lines and N75 installed. I can hear the turbo spooling now! Slight issue. Seems to be overboosting and thrown into limp mode. Another issue to chase.
-Transmission fluid changed.
-Also learned I have the silver ECU! I got lucky. Shes clean too so the PO must have replaced it.
-AC works great! Just discovered as it is now 90 degrees here.
Update 05/28/2018
-Turbo is working strong now! It was underboosting. The turbo was not set to the proper PSI throwing it into limp mode.
-Removed the door panels on both driver and passanger sides. They were falling apart and leather looked bad. Glued them back together and they look great now!
Update 06/19/2018
-Its been a while! After replacing the inner tie rod and master cylinder I've been driving the diesel constantly. I now have almost 700 miles on this tank and I couldn't be happier.

To do list to come next!
Any input on my work so far? I've owned it two months now.

Last edited:

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
TO Do list
Future ideas
-Skid plate
-Glow plugs and harness (mine is cracked.)
-Rust repair / repaint.
-Rear shocks / springs.
-Injectors sent off to DBW LLC.
-Boost and oil temp gauges.
-Fuel tank drop and clean.
-Oil pump.
-Air pump.
-Replace ugly yellow coolant overflow.
-New intercooler.
-Clutch and DMF but mine are still good right now.

Any other ideas??
Always open to criticism or helpful tips! I'll update my list as things get done.

Last edited: